Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Resizing up or down for printing, what is the tipping point?

Asael
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Resizing up or down for printing, what is the tipping point?

I am using a Canon ipf8300. For images that are bellow 300ppi I resize to 300 in Photoshop prior to printing. For images that are above 600ppi I resize to 600. But what to do about images that are in between 300 and 600? Resize up to 600 or down to 300? I currently resize up to 600 if the original image is above 500, and resize down to 300 if the images is below 500, but I realize that my 500ppi rule is not based on any real experiments and am wondering what are the rules other people use to decide if to resize up or down. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Resizing up or down for printing, what is the tipping point?

Make a few test prints. My guess is that you'll see little or no difference even taking the 600+ dpi files down to 300. I don't know how the math is done in the Canon driver but with Epson, if the file is below 360 the driver brings it to 360 as that what it sends to the printer. It's generally considered better to use Photoshop to interpolate rather than a blind rezzing in the driver where you have no control. That's the idea of sending, in Canon's case, 150, 300 or 600. If all the driver has to do is double the pixels it's an easier load than something in between. But since it's so easy and inexpensive to make a few test prints, make you own test and draw your own conclusions.

Jan 16, 2018 at 03:31 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Resizing up or down for printing, what is the tipping point?

Not sure if this will be helpful and it has been a while since I watched it.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.