Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Leica's Answer to the Hasselblad X1D.

fallsj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica's Answer to the Hasselblad X1D.

Is it just me or does it seem like a logical next step for Leica to shove the "S" sensor into the SL body? A Leica clone of the X1D with superior glass at a slightly lower price?

I own the Leica S2. As soon as the X1D came out I thought: that's the perfect camera. But the glass isn't on par with Leica. At first we saw awful hexagonal bokeh, laggy menus, freezing and a terrible roll-out. Launch aside, the issues were fixed via firmware update but the lenses are still very slow. I've heard that Hasselblad plans to launch faster lenses but that's not enough to break us die-hards away from Leica. The glass would have to be truly amazing.

I've given up on Hasselblad producing an adapter that mates Leica glass to the X1D much like Leica manufactured with their medium format S adapters, but wouldn't that be amazing as well?

If Leica could manage to fit an updated medium format sensor into the SL body as a direct competitor to the X1D and offer something else that Hasselblad hasn't (in-body image stabilization) paired with Leica glass... That's a game changer. With Leica's foray into camera phones, would it be unthinkable to see an actual smartphone-esque display slapped on the back? Why are there so many leaps and bounds made with software in the smartphone industry that never make it to the dedicated DSLR or mirrorless camera? It just seems to easy to put a great sensor... into a great body...with great software... and a smartphone display/interface on the back. (No apps, just a simple, fast camera interface).

Then again, ignorance is bliss.

Jan 15, 2018 at 08:17 PM
aly324
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica's Answer to the Hasselblad X1D.

Several people have expressed a wish for a mirrorless (mini-) medium format system from Leica on Leica User Forum. Those discussions may be of interest to you.

Jan 15, 2018 at 09:35 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica's Answer to the Hasselblad X1D.

@fallsj: Fotodiox makes a dumb adapter between the S lenses and the GFX, but it don't focus to infinity. Kinda weird since that should not be that hard to accomplish...

http://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/leicas-gfx-pro

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.