Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2018 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

It's all about weight and height. Are you over 6 feet?

EBH

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:09 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Oh, I guess I'll weigh in here! I have tried several RRS tripods: TVC 24L, TVC 23 and the TVC 33s (short).

I am a medium build, middle aged female, who also had a really hard time making up her mind. I bought and sold the 24L, bought the 23, then sold the 23 and went back to the 24L. The first time I took out the 23 I knew I'd made a mistake. The ground was only slightly unlevel, but I really could have used the extra height. I think the 24L is the perfect tripod for most general uses.

The 2 series tripods are very, very sturdy. They compare to the Gitzo 3 series, and I can say this because I had both in my office at once. I used a 2 series for a trip to Bosque where I used a 600 mm lens on it with no issues. Now, that was a borrowed lens, and if I owned one, or used it all the time, I might go with the 3 series.

The 3 series are really quite big. Unless you shoot regularly with very heavy glass, or just want a larger tripod, I would not recommend the 3 series for the OP. For me it was heavy and unwieldy, but then I don't have huge hands.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision. :-)

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:03 PM
JohnC88

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Sharona wrote:
Oh, I guess I'll weigh in here! I have tried several RRS tripods: TVC 24L, TVC 23 and the TVC 33s (short).

I am a medium build, middle aged female, who also had a really hard time making up her mind. I bought and sold the 24L, bought the 23, then sold the 23 and went back to the 24L. The first time I took out the 23 I knew I'd made a mistake. The ground was only slightly unlevel, but I really could have used the extra height. I think the 24L is the perfect tripod for most general
...Show more

Speaking for myself, that's very helpful. Thank you. According to a review I read, the 24L (and I assume all RRS 2 series) has a top tube measurement of 32.7mm. I noticed the Pro Media Gear 3 series claims to be 34mm, so that seems pretty close. I wonder what the RRS 3 series measures. With no real standards it's obvious that a 2, 3, or 4 series tripod does not measure equally across all brands.

Thanks again.

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:36 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

JohnC88 wrote:
Speaking for myself, that's very helpful. Thank you. According to a review I read, the 24L (and I assume all RRS 2 series) has a top tube measurement of 32.7mm. I noticed the Pro Media Gear 3 series claims to be 34mm, so that seems pretty close. I wonder what the RRS 3 series measures. With no real standards it's obvious that a 2, 3, or 4 series tripod does not measure equally across all brands.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. I actually thought you were the OP! (Oops.) I got caught up in the whole bigger is better thing, or whatever you want to call it, but for everyday shooting, the 24L is more than enough, and is much simpler to deploy. I've read where at least one pro nature shooter is moving to the 24L and wishes he had done so in the first place.

As far as I know, there is no industry standard on sizing, so one brand's 2 series could be another brand's 5 series. If you can, consider a drive up to San Luis Obispo and check them out for yourself to be sure.

Jan 16, 2018 at 03:01 PM
JohnC88

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Sharona wrote:
You are welcome. I actually thought you were the OP! (Oops.) I got caught up in the whole bigger is better thing, or whatever you want to call it, but for everyday shooting, the 24L is more than enough, and is much simpler to deploy. I've read where at least one pro nature shooter is moving to the 24L and wishes he had done so in the first place.

As far as I know, there is no industry standard on sizing, so one brand's 2 series could be another brand's 5 series. If you can, consider a drive up to
...Show more

I guess I really wanted to find a 3 section solution and kind of ignored the 24L for a while. But I am warming up to it being my best option. Can you expound a little on the "simpler to deploy"? That was part of my thought process but I thought a 3 section would be easier to deploy than a 4.

I've actually been thinking how I could tie in a trip to SLO. I have a trip to Yosemite planned in May but that's kind of further out than I'd like to wait. In the interim I have a trip to Moab in another 1 1/2 week, and a trip to Zion/Bryce a month after that. Those trips are obviously in the wrong direction. I've been thinking about a gold country trip but it probably couldn't happen until April at the earliest.

SLO could be done in a day from where I live, but it would be a very long day. 500 mile RT. Not really what I want to do. Certainly not until the 101 gets back to normal.

Jan 16, 2018 at 04:19 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

dthrog00 wrote:
I am interested in the TVC-34, but the TVC-34L seems a lot more popular. What are your thoughts on the TVC-34?

I like it quite a bit! I'm 6 feet tall, and use the RRS leveling base as well as their PG-02 gimbal on it, so with the legs fully extended, my camera's viewfinder is actually slightly taller than my eyeline when shooting in landscape orientation. There have been a few times when I could have used more leg length: when I'm on uneven terrain, it's nice to be able to extend a leg to reach down a slope, but it's not a big deal. For most of what I do the 34 is long enough, is compact when folded, and the slight weight savings over the 34L is worth it.

I think it's a different answer for the 24 vs. 24L: I'd definitely get the 24L. And the 24L is very stable: a photographer friend who is probably the pickiest person I know in terms of camera technique uses it with his 100MP Hasselblad backs and an Arca Cube with no problems.

Jan 16, 2018 at 05:09 PM
dthrog00
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Andre Y wrote:
I like it quite a bit! I'm 6 feet tall, and use the RRS leveling base as well as their PG-02 gimbal on it, so with the legs fully extended, my camera's viewfinder is actually slightly taller than my eyeline when shooting in landscape orientation. There have been a few times when I could have used more leg length: when I'm on uneven terrain, it's nice to be able to extend a leg to reach down a slope, but it's not a big deal. For most of what I do the 34 is long enough, is compact when folded,
...Show more

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'm 5'10" so at normal conditions the TVC-34 would be plenty tall enough on level ground. The shorter folded length is nice.

Dave

Jan 16, 2018 at 08:32 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

JohnC88 wrote:
I guess I really wanted to find a 3 section solution and kind of ignored the 24L for a while. But I am warming up to it being my best option. Can you expound a little on the "simpler to deploy"? That was part of my thought process but I thought a 3 section would be easier to deploy than a 4.

I've actually been thinking how I could tie in a trip to SLO. I have a trip to Yosemite planned in May but that's kind of further out than I'd like to wait. In the interim I have
...Show more

John - That is exactly what happened to me. I got a bug up my you-know-what, and thought I wanted a 3-section tripod. But it came back to bite me in the end, as I ended up selling my first 24L and my 23 at losses, then re-purchasing the 24L! I could have saved myself a few hundred dollars. If you have decent credit, consider doing what I did initially. I bought both and compared them, and sent back the one I didn't want. And if you do this, protect the rubber feet and take them out in your yard, put your gear on it, walk around with it, etc. You need to really feel what it will be like to use it, carry it, etc.

I'm not sure if you've shared what kind of gear you plan to use or what you photograph, but it really does boil down to the right tool for the job. If you don't need a large, bulky tripod, why buy one? I can also share that the BH-40 doesn't play super well with the 3 series tripods.

Re easier to deploy: For me, the legs were so big (in diameter) that it took an effort to pull them out from one another (splaying them out for use); I guess it's just bulkier and took more of an effort for me. I don't find 4 sections to be a hassle at all. In fact, speaking to the original question on this thread, the 23 fully extended with ball head and camera was actually a tad too tall for me, whereas fully extended on the three sections, the 24L is perfect. I can't tell you how much I love this tripod. But again, your needs may vary. I just have this sense that you WANT the larger tripod (kind of like I thought I did, lol) but you may be happier with the 24L. I understand the angst! Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:18 AM
JohnC88

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Sharona wrote:
John - That is exactly what happened to me. I got a bug up my you-know-what, and thought I wanted a 3-section tripod. But it came back to bite me in the end, as I ended up selling my first 24L and my 23 at losses, then re-purchasing the 24L! I could have saved myself a few hundred dollars. If you have decent credit, consider doing what I did initially. I bought both and compared them, and sent back the one I didn't want. And if you do this, protect the rubber feet and take them out in your yard,
...Show more

LoL. It does sound like we could be the same person. :-)

Gear wise, I have no doubt the 2 series would be the recommendation. I use a Nikon D7100 and mostly landscape lenses that don't exceed about a pound in weight. However, there is a strong possibility I will purchase the new Tamron 100-400 once I can read more reviews on it. I won't ever purchase anything bigger. I rented a 150-600 a few years ago and know I wouldn't use it often enough to get good at hand holding a lens that big. If I can't hand hold, I won't carry/buy it.

Additionally, I shoot exclusively outside including going to the beach often. Yosemite and the Eastern Sierra are also annual (or more) visits as well as other similar locations. So wind and soft footing are often involved. That's why I was wondering if the additional stability of a 3 series vs a 2 series might have any practical value, even with lighter gear. Everything else aside, I really can't seem to answer that question. I just don't want to buy a 2 series and find out that beach settings or a little wind become a problem that a 3 series could solve. I'm at the point now, where for the money I'm going to spend, I really need to get it right and not decide a year later I should have gone the other way.

I only just purchased the BH-40 and will be using it for the first time this weekend. I bought it for the ergonomics and can say it works awesome in my house. I've read where the locking lever can potentially be a problem on the wider base of the 3 series. I'm not sure if a couple of washers from Home Depot would do the trick though.

I always analyze things to death, but eventually I make a decision I'm comfortable with. (Even if it turns out wrong later. ) I'm moving closer to the 24L. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 17, 2018 at 03:03 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

With a long lens, you will need to shield it from strong wind even with the 3 series. There's no way around that.

Jan 17, 2018 at 03:57 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

JohnC88 wrote:
LoL. It does sound like we could be the same person. :-)

Gear wise, I have no doubt the 2 series would be the recommendation. I use a Nikon D7100 and mostly landscape lenses that don't exceed about a pound in weight. However, there is a strong possibility I will purchase the new Tamron 100-400 once I can read more reviews on it. I won't ever purchase anything bigger. I rented a 150-600 a few years ago and know I wouldn't use it often enough to get good at hand holding a lens that big. If I can't hand hold, I
...Show more

You just have to ask yourself if you want to carry it. If you hike in quite a ways in the Sierras, it may or may not be worth it to you. It's a shame you can't get your hands on them to see for yourself.

Jan 17, 2018 at 04:35 PM
ghosthouse

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

SCOR wrote:
Trying to figure out if the TVC-24L is tall enough to reach eye level with only the top 3 sections extended. Can someone who owns this measure?? Thanks

Yeah, so the tolerances on these bad boys will vary by a ½ or more, especially as you add more legs like the 24L. Here are the measurements of 24L that I own. These are not scientific measurements but the legs are fully extended and my legs are locked in their most upright position and I am measuring off a hardwood floor in my home. Measurements are approximate and rounded to the nearest ¼ inch.

Bottom Legs not extended: 49 ½ inches to the base | 52 ¾ to the mounting plate of the BH-40 | 56 ¾ to the center of my eye piece (5D IV) with RSS plate.

With that said, and as others have mentioned, it is advisable to leave the bottom legs extended to keep the lowest twist lock off the ground / sand, etc….. You’ll get a little more length this way as well since the bottom legs are longer than the top most legs.

Top most legs not extended (bottom extended): 51 ¾ to the base

Jan 17, 2018 at 05:41 PM
JohnC88

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Well, the agonizing is over. I just got off the phone with B&H. The TVC-24L will be arriving Thursday by 11:00PM. After spending all day Saturday shooting with and carrying my current tripod, it all came together that the TVC-24L was the right choice for me.

I'm leaving for Moab on Saturday. I could have made the trip without it, but I'm pretty excited to be having it for the trip, assuming it gets here on time.

Thanks to those who provided input, both in this thread and other threads.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM
Melancholia
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

What is diameter of the top plate on the RRS TVC-24L?

Jan 23, 2018 at 07:26 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

^ The raised circular top of the spider on RRS series-2 tripods has a diameter of 53mm.

Jan 24, 2018 at 08:41 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

JohnC88 wrote:
Well, the agonizing is over. I just got off the phone with B&H. The TVC-24L will be arriving Thursday by 11:00PM. After spending all day Saturday shooting with and carrying my current tripod, it all came together that the TVC-24L was the right choice for me.

I'm leaving for Moab on Saturday. I could have made the trip without it, but I'm pretty excited to be having it for the trip, assuming it gets here on time.

Thanks to those who provided input, both in this thread and other threads.

Woohooo! Have a great trip and please report back on how it worked out for you. :-)

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:45 AM
JohnC88

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Sharona wrote:
Woohooo! Have a great trip and please report back on how it worked out for you. :-)

Everything worked great. The new setup weighed about 1.5 lbs more than my old one and while I could feel the difference, the new setup was very comfortable to carry everywhere. I never hiked more than about 2 miles RT but I did carry it everywhere every day back and forth to/from the car. It's the first time I've had a tripod that was taller than me and it was amazing how often I used that feature now that I had it. I'm extremely happy I went with the taller one.

Feb 04, 2018 at 08:34 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

JohnC88 wrote:
Everything worked great. The new setup weighed about 1.5 lbs more than my old one and while I could feel the difference, the new setup was very comfortable to carry everywhere. I never hiked more than about 2 miles RT but I did carry it everywhere every day back and forth to/from the car. It's the first time I've had a tripod that was taller than me and it was amazing how often I used that feature now that I had it. I'm extremely happy I went with the taller one.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Nature/Tour-de-Utah/i-SNGMrw8/0/874c371a/XL/JEC5067%20Edit--XL.jpg

So glad you followed up! And very good to hear you're happy with the 24L. I'm only 5'6 and I still find that extra section handy from time to time. Once I was in a tall grass prairie with my 23, no big cliffs or anything like that. But the tripod was in a rut in the ground, and it made it just low enough that I had to squat some to get my photo, and that was the beginning of the end for me and the 23. It was a great tripod, but just not as versatile as the 24L. Anyway, thanks again for letting us know!

Feb 05, 2018 at 10:45 AM
JohnC88

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Anyone know height of RRS 24L with 3 sections extended?

Sharona wrote:
So glad you followed up! And very good to hear you're happy with the 24L. I'm only 5'6 and I still find that extra section handy from time to time. Once I was in a tall grass prairie with my 23, no big cliffs or anything like that. But the tripod was in a rut in the ground, and it made it just low enough that I had to squat some to get my photo, and that was the beginning of the end for me and the 23. It was a great tripod, but just not as versatile as the
...Show more

Yeah, I was surprised how many times the extra height came in handy, even if only by a few inches. I'm 5' 8". Learning how to quickly and easily open it to normal height still requires some thinking, but I expect it will improve with time. And I think the RRS 2 series is quite stable for my current range of smaller lenses. It's rock solid compared to any of my past tripods. I think it's the perfect middle ground for stability while also being comfortable to carry. It was definitely the right choice for me.

Feb 05, 2018 at 02:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.