New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Kian LOVES to run!

Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kian LOVES to run!

Although I've completely switched to Sony and have literally zero Canon gear left, I'm still in the testing phase with the gear in a few respects. Yesterday, I wanted to test the ability of the A9 to track an eyeball of a fast moving toddler. I used the A9 (obviously) and the Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 at f/2. In a sequence of 7 shots, where the first shot was him standing still and the next 6 were of him running straight at me, all 7 were sharp and focused on his eye. This was the "least" sharp of the 7 and I'd say it was off by a fraction of an inch and thus, only not perfectly sharp at 100% or more. This also happens to be my favorite of the sequence.

DSC02308 by Jonathan Brady, on Flickr

*you can follow the Flickr link back and see larger versions of the image if you'd like

Some may say an A9 is overkill for capturing shots of one's own family but I disagree. In the 3 months I've owned it, I've taken more images with it simply because I know I can use it like a point and shoot without fear of missing a shot. I've taken a substantial number of images just holding the camera up somewhere in front of me and pressing the button assigned to "eye AF" and then pressing the shutter and it nails the shot. This is GREAT for capturing spontaneous moments and expressions.

I know this image isn't a work of art, but for me, that's not what pictures of my family are about (although when I manage such an image, I'm certainly elated). It's about documenting our life and this camera, more than any other piece of equipment I own or have ever owned, lends itself to that incredibly well.

Jan 14, 2018 at 05:13 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kian LOVES to run!

I don't know why the A9 would be overkill. If you own a great camera, why not use it especially for capturing memories such as this?

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:05 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kian LOVES to run!

I couldn't possibly agree more :-)

Jan 16, 2018 at 04:21 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kian LOVES to run!

This was a test of another lens in the same situation. I was testing the Sony 100mm f/2.8 t/5.6 OSS STF and it's ability to track the eye of an even faster child. Kyla is about twice as fast as Kian, probably more, actually. And out of 9 shots of her running (each was a separate press of the shutter), all were 100% in focus using eye AF.
DSC02389 by Jonathan Brady, on Flickr

This honestly shocked me. I truly expected that this lens, especially with its apodization filter, would have a slower AF system but it was flawless! Also, I had her standing by the tree in the background to the right. That's how far away the A9 could detect her eye! UNREAL!

The Sony A9 blows me away with it's capabilities and these Sony lenses are incredible (as are the Zeiss Batis lenses).

One with the Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8. Straight out of camera jpg. Feel free to click the link back to Flickr and see the full size version and check the eye for focus and sharpness. I used eye AF (as I almost always do) for this image.
DSC02406 by Jonathan Brady, on Flickr

This was quite a bit later in the afternoon and the sun was just about to fall behind the trees, hence the much warmer image.

Jan 19, 2018 at 04:59 AM
eagleshadow70

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kian LOVES to run!

Boys and there expensive toys,

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:18 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kian LOVES to run!

Please elaborate

Jan 19, 2018 at 02:47 PM
pitbullo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kian LOVES to run!

Great shots, and truly impressive autofocus!!
I have been selling off some lenses lately as I am thinking of going the Sony route later down the road. The eye-AF is one of the main reasons!
I shoot with a rebel (t2i) today, and it has problems nailing focus on the eye on a stationary subject even...
Yeah, I guess IŽll end up in the Sony camp this summer
Hopefully Sigma will start making FE mount of their ART series soon.

Jan 20, 2018 at 01:04 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kian LOVES to run!

You should submit these photos to Sony for their ad campaign. Really demonstrates an important advantage for this system. Plus, the images look great. Nice to be able to combine gear testing with family photography. Of course, sharpness without excellent colors and bokeh would not count for much. Nice that you have it all here. I am deep in Nikon gear but it is nice to see great work using any system.

Jan 20, 2018 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.