New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Mixing Alien Bees and Einsteins

jcdill

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mixing Alien Bees and Einsteins

I have 4 Alien Bee 800s that I bought used off of Craigslist. I am using them for studio-lit horse portraits, I take a portable studio (background and all) to the barn, to take photos like this.

https://flic.kr/p/DMRLoH

I also often use a mix of ABs and Canon Speedlights (580s). I use pocket wizards, sometimes some lights are triggered as slaves rather than with the PWs.

I'm looking at adding a few more lights and I often see used Einsteins on Craigslist. I'd like to know if anyone here is using a mix of ABs and Einsteins and how that works, what the pitfalls are. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2018 at 04:43 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mixing Alien Bees and Einsteins

We had both at an old studio I worked at. No real difference other than the faster recycles and slightly better color consistency. Obviously the interface is different (buttons opposed to sliders), but they're the same lights...just tweaked to be a little better.

Jan 13, 2018 at 06:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mixing Alien Bees and Einsteins

I have both. The AlienBees for about 10 years and a couple Einstein for a couple years. IMO the Einstein will be more consistent shot to shot in terms of exact output, if you're working quickly. My guess is for your set ups you're not shooting that rapidly, so it probably won't make a huge difference if you let the AlienBees recycle fully. In terms of noticeable differences in light quality, I haven't noticed anything in particular.

Some factors to consider: If you're often working at considerably less than full power, the flash duration of the Einstein becomes considerably shorter, which is better at freezing movement, whether it's subject or camera motion (which can still happen with strobes, particularly if hand held with lax technique). I have the AlienBee 1600s which already start off with fairly slow/long flash duration at full power and get worse at lower settings. And given the power of those units is equal to the Einstein, when down a couple power levels, the duration gets really long. In this respect the AB800 is somewhat better, but duration still increases as power output decreases. IMO, this is a key factor in favor of the Einstein, at least for my uses, which is a lot of event type work. I may not always need 640W/s output and will get good motion stopping power at lower power settings where the AlienBees won't. If you get into the Buff Cybersync radio system, the module for the Einstein is small and inexpensive and plugs in kind of like a memory card into the top of the unit. But they all will work well with their built in optical triggers if you're firing off one with a PocketWizard.

The Einstein will also be heavier than the AB800, which if you're booming lights, etc., is a factor to consider.

The new DigiBees are kind of a blend of the two. Smaller than AlienBees, though similar weight but with digitally controlled output for better shot to shot consistency. However, they share with AlienBees the increase in flash duration at lower than full power output.

One reason there might be a lot of Buff lights on the used market, other than their popularity, is the recent boom in interest in Godox lights, primarily for their fully self-contained, cordless, battery powered operation with TTL triggering (IMO not necessarily a great thing for shooting in a controlled setting) at attractive prices. The Godox AD600 is kind of a battery powered Einstein and the new Pro version ups the ante further. They're more expensive than Buff lights, but when you factor in the added cost of a Buff Vagabond Mini or Extreme battery and inverter, the Godox units end up the better deal.

Jan 16, 2018 at 09:57 PM
jcdill

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mixing Alien Bees and Einsteins

rscheffler wrote:
One reason there might be a lot of Buff lights on the used market, other than their popularity, is the recent boom in interest in Godox lights, primarily for their fully self-contained, cordless, battery powered operation with TTL triggering (IMO not necessarily a great thing for shooting in a controlled setting) at attractive prices. The Godox AD600 is kind of a battery powered Einstein and the new Pro version ups the ante further. They're more expensive than Buff lights, but when you factor in the added cost of a Buff Vagabond Mini or Extreme battery and inverter, the Godox units
...Show more

Thanks, this was all very helpful, especially the info about Godox. Do the Godox lights fit the same modifiers as the ABs and Einsteins? I really don't want to have a bunch of different softbox speedrings. I want to have a consistent UI for putting my modifiers on any light.

Going battery power is nice, but I do have a bunch of Speedlights, and I can go onsite with an RV (with the built-in generator) allowing me to use powered lights in a non-power location, as long as I can drive in with the RV. Most of my work isn't action but being *able* to add action is a nice extra.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:13 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mixing Alien Bees and Einsteins

jcdill wrote:
Do the Godox lights fit the same modifiers as the ABs and Einsteins?

No, the Godox line uses either their proprietary (e.g., for the AD360) or the Bowens mount (AD600 etc.). PCB stuff is the Balcar mount. You might be able to get speedring inserts to switch back and forth.

Jan 19, 2018 at 09:10 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.