New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

godfreyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

Would a 6D2 be preferable for shooting indoor College basketball games over the 7D2?

Jan 12, 2018 at 09:08 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

How serious of shots? Are you the photographer, or do you just want some random shots of the action? It would be fine as a spectator camera for sports, but if you need to rattle off 200+ actions shots to be used by an organization, I most definitely say no, even without 6D2 experience.

The 7D2, 5D3, 5D4 and 1D series (1D3, 1D4, 1DX, etc) are all appropriate for that kind of action however.

Jan 12, 2018 at 09:42 PM
joe chance
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

I have been using both the 6D2 and 7D2 at small college basketball games. I also shoot for the athletic dept. Mostly use my 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 lens.

I alternate which body I use, but like the 6D2 more on women's games and 7D2 on men's. Or I will change bodies at half time.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:40 PM
graycat
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

I shot a high school basket ball game a couple of nights ago with my 6d2. I was sure something was wrong with it because it is so slow. I bought it because I wanted a full frame and a little better ISO. The camera is nice enough. The photos are very nice, the flip screen is handy, and there are a couple other features that I like. However, at half time I went and got my 1dmk4. After using 6d2 for bb, I have decided to purchase another 1dmk4 (unless Canon releases a 1dx3 soon so that it pushes the x2 prices lower)

I did shoot some wrestling last night with the 6d2 and it wasn't that bad. The flip screen and live view shooting allowed me to get really low to the floor.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM
Ischgl99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

Did you check to see if it was on silent shutter? That is something like 3 fps, normal frame rate should be 6.5. Silent shutter will have an S next to the drive indicator.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:21 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

godfreyz wrote:
Would a 6D2 be preferable for shooting indoor College basketball games over the 7D2?

I should add that I have been using the 7D2 for basketball ever since it came out years ago. Wonderful camera for basketball. Problem is that I have over 200,000 shutter count and I am afraid that it is due to fail one of these days. I shoot between 1,500 and 2,000 shots per night (women and men at the Division 2 and 3 Colleges that I shoot play the same night, so two games a night). I keep hoping for the 7D3 to come out but want a backup plan in case the 7D3 doesn't materialize and was wondering id the 6D2 would be alright.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:39 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

I think I need to take more shots at my games, I only take about 500 shots a game, but don't shoot in bursts, very often.

Again, with just the compressed area of AF points alone, I could not use the 6d2. I shoot using far outer AF points because I shoot tight and close, and don't want chopped off limbs, despite it happening from time to time due to proximity and focal length.

Perhaps it is worth a few day rental to see, before spending money on it? I would point you toward a 5d3 instead, it provides more in the way of sports shooting, and has the same high ISO noise characteristics.

Jan 13, 2018 at 07:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

godfreyz wrote:
I should add that I have been using the 7D2 for basketball ever since it came out years ago. Wonderful camera for basketball. Problem is that I have over 200,000 shutter count and I am afraid that it is due to fail one of these days. I shoot between 1,500 and 2,000 shots per night (women and men at the Division 2 and 3 Colleges that I shoot play the same night, so two games a night). I keep hoping for the 7D3 to come out but want a backup plan in case the 7D3 doesn't materialize and was wondering
...Show more

Maybe send yours in for a shutter replacement / tuneup ... it's been good to you this far, so stands to reason it's a good one. Then you'll have your 7D2 as an in place backup when you do get the 7D3.

Jan 13, 2018 at 06:50 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

Lightly used 5D3 on the forums here for sale at $1500, from a well established member
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1526455/0?keyword=iii#14324186

6D2 for sale as well, close to the same price
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1525899/0?keyword=6d2#14319878

Jan 15, 2018 at 09:35 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

I know what you mean, I tend to worry about cameras failing after I've used them for awhile. But I think I got maybe 150K out of the first digital Rebel I got, so yours might last a while still. I probably wouldn't send it in until it actually broke, if it ever did. Even newer stuff can fail.

I've never really shot basketball professionally, but I have shot a few high school games, and it's hard to believe 6.5 fps isn't fast enough. Plus you'd have the advantage of ff for high iso. Not that the newer crop cameras are bad at high iso, but that is a major advantage of ff.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:26 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

There is about a stop or so between the 7D2 and 5D3 at high ISO. As the 5D3 and 6D2 are very close to each other in high ISO performance, the 7D2 vs 6D2 should show almost the same differences.

Edited on Jan 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:06 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

Do college gyms have the same lighting as high school? If you have issues with flicker, seems like ff would be better.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

Flicker control on the 7D2 works very well to combat that, and I believe the 6D2 has it as well. Unfortunately that isn't in the 5D3, but LED lights don't cause the same issues cycling gas lights or CFLs.

My 14 year old took this at the last game with my 7D2 at ISO 10K under LED lights to provide an example of current model APS-C capability. I think she is aiming at replacing me with the organization. I was very proud of her, she tried to do manual focusing, but I instructed her that with sports, you most likely are going to want the camera to work for you.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

I appreciate all the responses. I have decided (once again) to wait a little longer and hope that the 7D3 will be out shortly. The current basketball season has only two months to go and hopefully my 7D2 will hold out.

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:39 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

I highly doubt a 7D3 will be announced this year, if so, it will be near the end of the year. We shall see what Canon debuts at their next electronics show.

How about picking up a spare 7D2 from the forums?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1527467/0?keyword=7d2#14332089

Later, when a 7D3 is announced, you can sell off one of the 7D2s, and probably not be out a ton of money at all.

Edited on Jan 19, 2018 at 08:26 AM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2018 at 08:04 AM
hirt

[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

TeamSpeed wrote:
Flicker control on the 7D2 works very well to combat that, and I believe the 6D2 has it as well. Unfortunately that isn't in the 5D3, but LED lights don't cause the same issues cycling gas lights or CFLs.

My 14 year old took this at the last game with my 7D2 at ISO 10K under LED lights to provide an example of current model APS-C capability. I think she is aiming at replacing me with the organization. I was very proud of her, she tried to do manual focusing, but I instructed her that with sports, you most likely are
...Show more

Very impressive shots. Do you know which lens is mounted on the 7DII at that time?

Jan 19, 2018 at 08:22 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

She was using my 24-70 II, I was using the 70-200 II on the 5D4 right in front of her on the floor. She wasn't happy that my head was in a few of her shots. I told her it is the responsibility of the photographer to make sure the frame had the content they wanted before they snapped the shot.

Jan 19, 2018 at 08:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

TeamSpeed wrote:
She was using my 24-70 II, I was using the 70-200 II on the 5D4 right in front of her on the floor. She wasn't happy that my head was in a few of her shots. I told her it is the responsibility of the photographer to make sure the frame had the content they wanted before they snapped the shot.

Good luck with that.

Jan 19, 2018 at 08:34 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

You might look for lightly-used 1D X cameras- they have the best AF of their generation (and should), with great high-ISO capability.

[a note on the 5D III- that camera did have some banding issues that the 6D solved, and obviously aren't present in the 6D II or 5D IV etc., but the AF system and extra control points on the 5D III and 7D II are absolutely worth the extra time in post if need be!]

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:19 PM
tshore
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 6D2 for basketball

The choice comes down to frame rate vs. noise. The answer depends on the lighting in the gym you are shooting, and the min f/stop of the lenses you will be using. For hoops, you will want 1/800 or so. If it's well-lit, and/or you are shooting with fast (f 1.4 or better) primes, you may be able to obtain this shutter speed and keep the ISO at or below 3200. In that case, the 7D2 with its higher frame rate (and antiflicker) would be the better choice, IMO. If you have to shoot at ISO 6400 or higher to obtain 1/800 ss, then I would go with the 6D2, sacrifice the frame rate, but get much lower noise and resulting higher IQ.

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.