Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

CHimmel

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

Once weekend I decided to do some portfolio work at a local baseball field. When I was about to leave, the coach stopped me and we exchanged information. I drafted an email to send to the parents. The images are viewable at 500px.com/carterhimmel . I would like to know how other photographers reach out to to potential clients. Below is an example of my new client email:

Dear (Client Name)
Howdy! My name is Carter Himmel! I am a photographer based out of the Encino-Sherman Oaks area. It was a pleasure working with your team last Sunday. I uploaded 10 sample images to my website and those are viewable at the link in my signature.
I have been speaking with your head coach and we believe that offering a team service would be a great idea. My team services are more unique than an individual one. I determine a team shoot by how many players I will be shooting/focusing on. I charge $20 per player up to 9 players and $15 for 10+ players. In addition to digital files, each player registered will receive 2 photo prints. The physical prints are are chosen by you when the digitals are provided, after that, expect a 5-7 day delivery.
If you are at all interesting my services, please contact me via email or phone. I look forward to working with you. Thank you for your time.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

Get ready, because here it comes...

If you are looking to do action photos, it is VERY difficult in this day and age. Many seasoned professionals with years of experience are and have gotten out. You may say you are doing something different and unique. Trust me, you're not. Every possible model under the sun from spec, to digital packages, to group rates, to individual sign-ups, to volume pricing, to custom design poster packages to built in prepay propositions, has been explored with ball and stick sports and all have failed at the local level.

Unless you are shooting a premiere event with several quality shooters with a top notch marketing system and several viewstations where customers can view and find their kids in seconds, place an order, and pick up prints on-site within minutes, you will make no money. And even with all of those variables in place, unless you have established yourself within a particular niche market, it can be a grind.

Next issue and this one will get a ton of debate, but you really can't take pictures of a team for intent to sell unless you get permission from the league board, or other governing body. The coach of that team is not in that position to approve your services. Despite insurance issues, there is the matter of possibly infringing on someone else's contract, and there is of course, those questioning parents on the sidelines who want to know what you are doing taking pictures of their kids.

Finally, as far as your initial email... you lost me at "howdy". It's not a professional way to start an email. As I read further along, I spotted several grammatical errors as well as flaws with your pricing scale. Based on how you have presented yourself in your email, I immediately get the message that you are not ready to offer services at the professional level.

Jan 13, 2018 at 04:41 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

Just don't give away your photos.

Jan 13, 2018 at 09:47 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

I'm going to be honest here: you need to work on your sports photography a lot before moving into any potential sales. The stuff you posted to 500px, with a few exceptions, is not very good.

Jan 14, 2018 at 02:00 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

Carter,
There are many talented and knowledgeable people here in the forum. I agree with the above post about improving your images. My suggestion is to let his forum help you.
Start posting 6-10 images from a game for critique, within several games you'll notice a strong improvement in your results if you start following the advice provided.

In the meantime, search this forum for top recommendations., EEspecia
My anything from P Alesse

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:38 AM
CHimmel

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

P Alesse wrote:
Get ready, because here it comes...

If you are looking to do action photos, it is VERY difficult in this day and age. Many seasoned professionals with years of experience are and have gotten out. You may say you are doing something different and unique. Trust me, you're not. Every possible model under the sun from spec, to digital packages, to group rates, to individual sign-ups, to volume pricing, to custom design poster packages to built in prepay propositions, has been explored with ball and stick sports and all have failed at the local level.

Unless you are shooting a
...Show more

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I really appreciate it. At the parks/baseball complexes I work at, the field managers and league board couldn't care less about someone selling photos. I personally do not insure my services nor create contracts. Mainly just verbal agreements. This is a hobby for me and I believe if I have invested $1200 into some equipment I can work it off.

On another note, the email. I have't received one response back and it was sent about 5 days ago.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM
CHimmel

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

gschlact wrote:
Carter,
There are many talented and knowledgeable people here in the forum. I agree with the above post about improving your images. My suggestion is to let his forum help you.
Start posting 6-10 images from a game for critique, within several games you'll notice a strong improvement in your results if you start following the advice provided.

In the meantime, search this forum for top recommendations., EEspecia
My anything from P Alesse

I think I should start doing that. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

CHimmel wrote:
Thank you for your constructive feedback, I really appreciate it. At the parks/baseball complexes I work at, the field managers and league board couldn't care less about someone selling photos. I personally do not insure my services nor create contracts. Mainly just verbal agreements. This is a hobby for me and I believe if I have invested $1200 into some equipment I can work it off.

On another note, the email. I have't received one response back and it was sent about 5 days ago.

Once you receive any kind of payment for services, you are no longer a hobbyist and are bound by the protocols of professional business. This means that if you accidentally cause injury to a spectator or athlete, you are held liable because you are no longer on those grounds for its expected intent.... to view games. You are especially liable if there is no written contract or authorization for you to be there.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:02 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

P Alesse wrote:
Once you receive any kind of payment for services, you are no longer a hobbyist and are bound by the protocols of professional business. This means that if you accidentally cause injury to a spectator or athlete, you are held liable because you are no longer on those grounds for its expected intent.... to view games. You are especially liable if there is no written contract or authorization for you to be there.

.. Lawyers ..

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM
CHimmel

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

I understand you're pretty serious about this. I have no intent of making a business of this. I simply enjoy taking photos and I can make my money back selling services. I will be a freshman in high school next year, if this puts any perspective.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:37 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

I understand you're pretty serious about this. I have no intent of making a business of this. I simply enjoy taking photos and I can make my money back selling services. I will be a freshman in high school next year, if this puts any perspective.

Have your parents buy you business insurance. You can search this forum for insurance discusssions.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:48 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

Carter... what about this? Seek out established photographers in the area that do this work that are fully insured and work for them on an event. It's a good way to gain experience, hone your craft, and make a little money without worrying about liability, fulfillment, or customer service. This is how I got started.

Jan 16, 2018 at 05:22 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

Vcook wrote:
I'm going to be honest here: you need to work on your sports photography a lot before moving into any potential sales. The stuff you posted to 500px, with a few exceptions, is not very good.

I have to agree....a few are not in focus or not sharp....some I have to wonder where the action is....you have a ways to go.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:02 PM
CHimmel

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reaching Out to Potential Clients

P Alesse wrote:
Carter... what about this? Seek out established photographers in the area that do this work that are fully insured and work for them on an event. It's a good way to gain experience, hone your craft, and make a little money without worrying about liability, fulfillment, or customer service. This is how I got started.

That sounds like a great idea. I think I should start like that. Thank's for your help.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.