New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · Migrated to Capture One

AndrewNYC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Migrated to Capture One

I’m amazed at how much better the image quality for my RAF file is. Amazingly better. Still learning the interface. Still have to work on printing.

Jan 08, 2018 at 08:56 AM
rsk7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Migrated to Capture One

can you show a comparison?

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:28 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Migrated to Capture One

I'll try and post one tonight.

Jan 08, 2018 at 03:40 PM
dadams

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Migrated to Capture One

Yup! Been with C1 since V1...nothing comes close and with the 11 release having layers and masking it’s becoming a serious one stop tool with little need for photoshop. But I’m new to Fuji after many many years of Canon)

Jan 10, 2018 at 07:56 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Migrated to Capture One

I'm seriously thinking about changing myself. I've giving it a try and it's pretty easy to use.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:10 PM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Migrated to Capture One

I'm quite certain that my use of C1 is the equivalent of playing golf with three clubs, but the photos are just so clearly better. My wife, a non-photographer, laughed that I had given up on Fuji for a while when we she saw the difference.

Jan 11, 2018 at 01:48 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Migrated to Capture One

AndrewNYC wrote:
I'm quite certain that my use of C1 is the equivalent of playing golf with three clubs, but the photos are just so clearly better. My wife, a non-photographer, laughed that I had given up on Fuji for a while when we she saw the difference.

Interested in seeing the differences as well, please post samples when you get the chance.

Jan 12, 2018 at 09:20 AM
Homo_erectus

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Migrated to Capture One

Phaseone runs a Capture One Pro youtube channel where you can find many, many, very educational webinars and tutorial videos that will get you up to speed and show you some of the more subtle and non-obvious things about the program and how it works.

They also have an online manual that's pretty good.

I've been using C1 Pro for almost two years now. It's a great piece of software that many people dismiss out of hand based purely on the cost.

I particularly like that you can use it in "Session" mode which does not use a database. This is essentially a file manager mode. The Advanced Color Editor is a favorite tool as well. And, the degree to which the UI is customizable is another feature I really love. You can pare down and re-organize the UI to a really large degree, which is something I really appreciated after years of using LR. You can also change keyboard shortcuts!

They made their x-trans pipeline work with OpenCL over the last few updates to version 10, basically bringing x-trans support up to the level of all the other raw file types they support, and now, on a computer with even a halfway decent video card, C1Pro is very fast and responsive.

I try not to be a fanboy, but I really do enjoy working with C1 Pro. I'll stop enthusing now

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:06 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Migrated to Capture One

C1 renders x-trans files so much better than lightroom! If only they could steal LR's auto-upright features.

Jan 12, 2018 at 01:04 PM
col4bin
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Migrated to Capture One

I have tried to switch to C1 but after 10 years using LR, I know the tool very well and I just don't think i have it in me to learn a new workflow. My other issue is that I do not want to give up PS. I love the content aware removal tools in PS. I have tried Affinity but it just seems to fall a bit short.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:21 PM
imagesfromobjects
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Migrated to Capture One

I'm well on my way to a full switch, too. Fuji-X and LR user for a few years now, gave it a(nother) go when I purchased a Sony a7. Absolutely spanks LR with out-of-the-box demosaicing and color rendition.

I'm all in now, after using it solid for a month.

Things I miss:
1. Lights Out mode
2. Filtering out missing (or "offline" as C1 calls them) files in browser mode
3. Presets (though the Color Balance wheel gets my files where I want them quite easily)
4. LR spot/healing - I scan negatives and I'm reeeeally lucky if I don't max out the 16 layer limit on a single frame just fighting dust in C1. Also, you have to be VERY judicious about the sample point you pick. LR's just worked, C1's takes some finesse.

Things I love:
1. Color / NR / Sharpening out-of-the box
2. The Customizable interface - currently working on a MIDI controller setup to speed up hotkeys, sliders etc
3. SPEED

The DAM emphasis of the program seems relatively new, and Phase One would be wise to step their game up here, as so many are jumping ship from Adobe as we speak.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:09 PM
col4bin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Migrated to Capture One

imagesfromobjects wrote:
I'm well on my way to a full switch, too. Fuji-X and LR user for a few years now, gave it a(nother) go when I purchased a Sony a7. Absolutely spanks LR with out-of-the-box demosaicing and color rendition.

I'm all in now, after using it solid for a month.

Things I miss:
1. Lights Out mode
2. Filtering out missing (or "offline" as C1 calls them) files in browser mode
3. Presets (though the Color Balance wheel gets my files where I want them quite easily)
4. LR spot/healing - I scan negatives and I'm reeeeally lucky if I don't max out the 16
...Show more

The DAM is another significant reason holding me back. I have had C1 since v7 and IMO, there have not been any substantial improvements to the DAM functionality.

I keep paying for upgrades every other year so I don't have to pay full price again. Probably doesn't make much financial sense but so be it.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:28 PM
Homo_erectus

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Migrated to Capture One

imagesfromobjects wrote:

C1 has a pretty robust system for making, editing, and using presets. It's called Styles. You can make Styles both of adjustments and metadata. You can then apply them at import, through a menu, or you can add a Styles tool to the tool bar at the top of the program. Third parties, and phaseone themselves, both sell and give away style packs.

Also, nearly every tool also can have it's own, camera specific, defaults saved.

Watch the webinars on YouTube, they cover all of this stuff.

Jan 13, 2018 at 02:48 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Migrated to Capture One

Does C1 support the Fuji film simulations? Or can they be uploaded as profiles?

Jan 15, 2018 at 06:16 PM
ediblestarfish
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Migrated to Capture One

Seems C1 doesn't play too nice with DNG output. There's a very limited number of things you can do and have it save to metadata. This is a big problem for my workflow downstream when I need to pass a RAW to another person using the Adobe suite. C1 uses EIP files I think, which most of the people I work with, can't open.

I also notice they don't support the Fuji GFX system--a conflict of interest?

Jan 15, 2018 at 07:22 PM
rextilleon
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Migrated to Capture One

I see no great difference in raw processing between the two.

Jan 16, 2018 at 09:59 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Migrated to Capture One

Post comparison images or it's just bullshit!...

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:04 AM
shammer8

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Migrated to Capture One

I was an aperture orphan about a year and a half ago when I started getting more serious with my fuji (after having upgraded from my X100 to an X-E2s), and wanted to play around with its raw files. I gave LR and C1 Pro 9 a fair try, and MUCH preferred C1. Though it takes some setting up, I found much of it to follow similar logic to Aperture, and since the interface is completely customizable (daunting at first), you can really make it look and feel how you want—but it has way more capabilities than Aperture ever did for image processing/editing.

The only area I think it's lacking, and far less intuitive is in the file management/organization department. I never did a lot of publishing to social media through Aperture, but would actually love a "publish to instagram" module in C1.

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com is a great resource for Fuji X shooters switching to C1 (most of his comprehensive Capture One 10 fuji-x guide applies to 11, and he has a video covering the new features of 11.

Somewhere I also found a styles pack with ICC profiles that mimic Fuji's film simulations—I'll try to find where and link them. I only sometimes use them as a starting place, especially my Acros styles.

Jan 20, 2018 at 04:20 AM
radeon9

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Migrated to Capture One

beside C1, what other editing software did you look at for RAF files?

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:01 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Migrated to Capture One

I've seen enough review comparisons with C1 and LR and they couldn't achieve a better result with either of them. LR used to lag behind for Xtrans, but no longer does.

I think it all comes down to which UI you prefer and to a lesser extent which tools you like that the other doesn't have.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.