Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2018 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I'm swapping out all my Canon speedlights and moving to Godox.

I was using 3, 600EX flashes. I was fine with the power output and recycle times; I almost never went above 1/4 power. I do mostly on-camera bounced flash with some ETTL and some manual; I'm fine going all manual, though.

I'm on the Godox website and see a ton of options, especially when it comes to speedlight "clones"

What should I be looking at?

Jan 08, 2018 at 07:52 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I went with the TT685 on the Nikon side for on-camera commander flashes with TTL capability. This is the AA variant. The V860ii is exactly the same flash with just two differences: proprietary lithium ion battery (which gives more flashes per battery and shorter recycle times) and no port for external power pack. I was generally happy with my previous AA battery lights and pretty heavily invested in batteries and charging infrastructure so I saved the cash and went with 2 TT685n for my cameras and 5 TT600 off camera flashes. The TT600 is the same as the TT685, only no TTL. Likewise, I believe that there is a V850ii that is the lithium ion version of the TT600.

If you order from Adorama, they are called: Zoom TTL R2 (TT685), Zoom R2 (TT600), Zoom Li-on TTL R2 (v860ii), and Zoom Li-on R2 (v850ii)

You also have the AD-180/200/360/600/600pro options for off camera light blasters. That's another conversation.

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:41 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I moved to Godox for Li-ion power - faster recycle and longer lasting power...but if you are happy with speedlight AA power and refresh cycles - not really sure why you are moving.

This was a bonus for me - cross brand use - buy one TTL light and just get the different triggers for each brand of camera you have. No more having to buy different lights for each brand. OK - if you are going to use it on camera - than that has to match the same brand - but all the off camera lights can be a Nikon / Sony / Fuji version of Godox lights.

Best summary I have seen
http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/

If you have spare cash and GAS - the V860 MkII is what would closely match a speedlight with all the Li-ion power advantages.
http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v860c-ving-ettl-flash-review/

If you really really want to stay on AA power - they make the same flash but using AA batteries - TT685
http://flashhavoc.com/godox-tt685c-ttl-radio-speedlite-announced/

All their vII speedlights come with built-in transmitters and receivers to control all other vII Godox lights (2.4 Ghz)

Only drawback I have with Godox is their flash assist beam for on-camera work - it sucks.

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:51 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

Buy this.
https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2ca.html
Same as godox.
I just got a 3 of them with 3 transmitters because we do not use on camera flash at all.
They also have HSS which is great.
So basically you can do your ETTL stuff or use it off camera as an ETTL slave or manual setup.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:01 AM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I've got three TT685 for Nikon, and the ability to buy triggers across brands is awesome. Haven't utilized it yet, but I'm planning on picking up a Sony later this year, and it's $35 to get a remote trigger for the Sony body.

I used the TT685 on TTL mode, full auto, and they worked like a champ. Main reason I got them was the TTL plus radio. For everything, batteries included, I paid about the same as what a Nikon SB-5000 would have cost.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:51 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

Going from sb910 to v860II, overheat protection on Godox is a MAJOR pain!

Jan 08, 2018 at 12:02 PM
GumaRodak
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

here is my experience with Godox.
The AF beam sux and it is better to have it turned OFF, otherwise it can happen that you will have it visible on your pictures. This is happening mainly if you have shutter release priority instead of focus priority.

I do sometimes use Magmod and since the Godox flashes do not have lock on head, the flash is all the time returning into the straight position under the heavy weight of the magmod, but someone can have the missing lock as an advantage.

One Godox break in the area where it is mounted to camera, again under load of attached diffuser.

The power of the 860ii is less vs the SB910.

In TTL, sometimes i have mixed results and overexposed pictures slightly.

for me...the original is better and i use it whenewer OFC is not needed...but i have to use the godoxes because of the wireless mode for OFC...

Jan 08, 2018 at 01:20 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I actually run with 2 canon 600s for getting ready portion of the day.
Easy to control 1 ocf if needed.

Reception, e-session and bridal.... I use the godox rebrand cheetah lights.
I have 3x 860, 2x with magmod. 2x ad200.
Plus a cl 180 for backup. A cl360 also.... but does not travel unless I am planning a shot that might require that much power.

I picked up the new controller XPro TTL. This thing rocks.

I never shoot in TTL.... not consistent. Always manual.
No issues with camera mount to date.
Love the lithium battery.

Jan 08, 2018 at 02:35 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I HIGHLY suggest ordering from Adorama for warranty purposes.

To replace the 600s, you want the Zoom Li-on TTL R2. It's a rebranded Godox V860II. https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2ca.html

For transmitters, you want the R2 Pro Transmitter.
https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2proc.html

The 200 w/s AD200 is an amazing amount of power in a light basically the same size as a speedlight.

The AD600 Pro that was just announced is an incredible thing. 600 w/s with a 0.9s recycle time at full power. That's crazy.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:57 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

What's the difference between the Flashpoint R2 Pro trigger and the Flashpoint R2 TTL trigger?

It looks like the TTL version lets you pop a flash on top of it? Is that the only difference?

Jan 09, 2018 at 09:03 AM
nick williams
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I still have the canon flashes but i do have the AD200 which is very good. The pro trigger is also excellent.

Jan 09, 2018 at 09:09 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I'll have to look into the AD200

It's interesting, but I'm not sure I need that power inside (even when bouncing). And I'm not sure if it's powerful enough for outside work, although I could be totally wrong I haven't used flash outside in years (but really should start doing a bit more of it).

Jan 09, 2018 at 09:15 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

ZachOly wrote:
What's the difference between the Flashpoint R2 Pro trigger and the Flashpoint R2 TTL trigger?

It looks like the TTL version lets you pop a flash on top of it? Is that the only difference?

It is, and the smaller screen/fewer buttons make the interface a bit slower. Like anything, you'll get quicker with use but the R2 TTL trigger generally requires more buttons to do the same tasks.

It allows you to put a TTL flash on top of it, but don't. Other makes have triggers like this as well and it is just a big floppy weight on top of your camera with a relatively weak, Chinese made (no offense to China), inexpensive accessory in the middle. It will break. It probably won't break right away, but eventually it will fail. The big draw to the Godox system is having on camera flashes that function as commanders for many different kinds of lights.

Jan 09, 2018 at 11:01 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

ZachOly wrote:

Bob explains it better than I could:
https://petapixel.com/2017/09/26/hands-godoxs-xpro-transmitter-raises-bar/

But you know that all the vII godox speedlights have built-in transceivers - so they can control other godox flashes without the dedicated triggers.

The controls are better on the dedicated triggers but its one less piece of gear to keep track of if you are into cutting down on gear.

Jan 09, 2018 at 11:05 AM
GumaRodak
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

well, for weddings...usually i am fine with on camera bounce and 2 rim lights which i control from the on camera flash...

Jan 09, 2018 at 03:39 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

I haven't used the speedlites but I have three of the AD200's and one XPLOR600 TTL. I use them for a mix of reception, church portrait, etc...

This was shot with two AD200's in the back and one 600 to my right and behind. All lights were pointed at the dance floor. Recycle time was near instant shooting at 1/4-1/8 power and my Sony A9 and 16-35mm GM.

Jan 09, 2018 at 09:32 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

Ken_Cravillion wrote:
I haven't used the speedlites but I have three of the AD200's and one XPLOR600 TTL. I use them for a mix of reception, church portrait, etc...

This was shot with two AD200's in the back and one 600 to my right and behind. All lights were pointed at the dance floor. Recycle time was near instant shooting at 1/4-1/8 power and my Sony A9 and 16-35mm GM.

Any modifier on the 600?

Jan 09, 2018 at 10:10 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

bipock wrote:
Any modifier on the 600?

Just the 7" reflector.

Jan 09, 2018 at 10:11 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

Ken_Cravillion wrote:

Just curious .... why F8?

You must of nearly blinded the guest.
2x AD200 at 1/4 power.... wowzers.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:11 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Godox wedding options - can someone explain?

Honestly don't remember the power. Could have been 1/8 to 1/16. Used f8 and ISO 2500 for dof to get everything in focus in manual focus. No one complained so I'm good.

Jan 10, 2018 at 07:38 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.