New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Snowy in Florida

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snowy in Florida

Happy New Year!
A few hundred miles south of the snow line.

Scott

Jan 07, 2018 at 08:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snowy in Florida

Oh wow, what a fantastic image, love it. I do have to ask however, what is that dark blue brown object just to the left of the birds neck?

Jan 07, 2018 at 09:59 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snowy in Florida

Very nice. I do agree with Ben about the distracting blue area. I would also consider pulling back just a bit on the highlights and that would give more detail in the bird's feathers.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:07 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snowy in Florida

Camperjim wrote:
Very nice. I do agree with Ben about the distracting blue area. I would also consider pulling back just a bit on the highlights and that would give more detail in the bird's feathers.

Took a stab at some color shift away from the warmth, as well. Of course, if you are wanting to reveal "time of day" with the warmth, then you likely would leave a bit more of it in.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:12 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Snowy in Florida

I love the wispy nature of that larger feather! The background busyness/clutter provides a challenge, but I feel that you've got a pretty strong contender for mono with the super white egret and darker background.

Just a thought!

Jeff

Jan 09, 2018 at 03:10 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Snowy in Florida

Thx
First, a correction
Despite the name, I think this is a great egret with breeding plumage, not a snowy.
Second, the bluish area is water behind the branches. I think I need to break out PS and do a color clone of the area.
Third, approaching sunset, warm light almost spotlighting the bird. I prefer the warm glow and the brownish natural BG setting, despite its busyness.
Fourth, not sure about the tighter crop, but I think it works, as does the cooler, whiter version Kent provided.

Scott

Jan 09, 2018 at 09:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Snowy in Florida

Those egrets are so snowy white regardless of species, that Kents version is attractive, but I still prefer the warmer original as well as the wider crop. The bird stands out well against the background busy or no.

Jan 09, 2018 at 09:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Snowy in Florida

Here's my cooler rendering ... overlayed with the OP at 67% opacity for a middle ground / warmer rendering to "put some back".

Jan 09, 2018 at 10:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Snowy in Florida

Like this much better kent.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Snowy in Florida

Yes, the warmth is back. Nicely done Kent.
I am trying to do more comps with more space, less tight around the birds. And I like the environmentl aspect.

Scott

Jan 15, 2018 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.