Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

te4o
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

New to C1 for Sony. MacOSX High Sierra. C1 11 latest version. Runs smoothly. BUT:

Workspace selected as Dual Monitor Large Viewer. Dragged the large viewer onto my second Monitor NEC, full screen there.

Want to make Brush adjustments. B then right click for Brush Settings... and the black dialog box appears onto the main monitor. Bummer. If I move the mouse across - it disappears. Right click on Brush and move right click&hold gets me to the brush settings dialog but then doing it everytime is annoying.

Does someone use C1 on 2 monitors and how do you manage this?

Contacted PhaseOne for support but now when I want to provide the requested Screenshots and mp4 their website is shut down, cannto resolve host and somehow the whole thing looks dodgy. Where do I go from here?

Cheers

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:19 AM
myotis

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

te4o wrote:
Contacted PhaseOne for support but now when I want to provide the requested Screenshots and mp4 their website is shut down, cannto resolve host and somehow the whole thing looks dodgy. Where do I go from here?

I'd just wait until the site is back up and running, I can't imagine it being broken for very long.

Cheers,

Graham

edit: I see that between me confirming it was broken and writing this reply, its back up

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:32 AM
te4o
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

Yes, the website is up but not the support pages. They must have a major meltdown.
I still wonder if people use the large viewer workspace or if there is another smarter way to do critical color work on a second color calibrated monitor as in my case keeping the browser on the main monitor .

Jan 07, 2018 at 02:00 PM
myotis

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

te4o wrote:
Yes, the website is up but not the support pages. They must have a major meltdown.
I still wonder if people use the large viewer workspace or if there is another smarter way to do critical color work on a second color calibrated monitor as in my case keeping the browser on the main monitor .

I didn't check the support pages, but the main site was also down so I guess as you suggest they are still recovering from a major problem.

I don't routinely use two monitors for C1, but if you watch the C1 webinars, or other users videos, most seem to be using two monitors as their standard set up, including the browser on one window and the viewer on the other

There is a dual monitor option in the workspaces menu - have you tried that.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but C1 tech support is very good, or you can try the official Phase One user forum, which was working even when the web site was down.

Cheers,
Graham

Jan 07, 2018 at 02:25 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

te4o wrote:
New to C1 for Sony. MacOSX High Sierra. C1 11 latest version. Runs smoothly. BUT:

Workspace selected as Dual Monitor Large Viewer. Dragged the large viewer onto my second Monitor NEC, full screen there.

Want to make Brush adjustments. B then right click for Brush Settings... and the black dialog box appears onto the main monitor. Bummer. If I move the mouse across - it disappears. Right click on Brush and move right click&hold gets me to the brush settings dialog but then doing it everytime is annoying.
Cheers

Are you using C1 for Sony (came with the camera) or C1 Pro for Sony (inexpensive and very worthwhile upgrade)?
If the former, it may be an issue with that version of C1. If the latter, then something else may be going on.

I'm using C1 Pro and have been since C1 8. It's essentially the same as C1 Pro for Sony, except that it supports a lot of non-Sony cameras. Currently I have C1 11 Pro running on Sierra, and I know of others with similar experience running it on High Sierra.

With my dual NEC PA272 monitor setups, no problems with the brush contextual menu or anything else. My setup: primary monitor is in front of me and contains the image and some tools, and the secondary monitor is set to the right and contains other tools I use (a lot of other tools). So the image being edited is on the primary monitor.

The only inconvenience I see is that if I've been working with tools on the secondary monitor, I need to click once on the primary when working tools on it—like a notification to C1 that I'm now adjusting on the primary monitor. Not a biggie, and doesn't sound like what you're seeing.

As I said, you may be having an issue with the Sony "limited" version. I had a couple of clients who started with that and quickly upgraded to Pro for Sony because the other version was very limited in terms of UI configurability and tool capabilities. It's a nice tickler about C1, but really doesn't do C1 justice in terms of capabilities.

Please post back with whatever you find out.

Jan 07, 2018 at 02:41 PM
te4o
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

Thanks for the detailed reply!
I bought the Sony Pro immediately after getting the a7r3 just because I considered it inexpensive for the offered software too.
From what I read I think the issue lies in which monitor is considered primary and which secondary.
I'll have to check when back home this arvo.
I do use a NEC PA 27 as a SECONDARY screen to do adjustments on LR (till recently) and NIK. If C1 allows for adjustments with a priority for the PRIMAry monitor then this explains my issue.
Unfortunately I'd consider this restriction quite impractical. My colour calibrated monitor is difficult to use as primary because all the contrast and luminance is down optimised for printing...

Optimal behaviour would be Brush settings dialog box should appear just next to the mouse click/brush work area irrespective of monitor priority.
I'll try to explain to the C1 team this

Jan 07, 2018 at 05:19 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

I just sent you a pm. Let me know if you want to try my workspace.

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:50 PM
te4o
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

I can report back on this issue:
As expected:
My main display was the thumbnail part of C1 and the secondary display was the calibrated large viewer NEC PA. For this reason the brush settings dialog box was not appearing next to the brush but on the main display. And was unreachable. No warning was issued that I'm attempting to adjust the image on the secondary display.

I switched the priority between displays and moved the thumbnails to the secondary DELL display keeping the image on the primary NEC and the behaviour of the brush dialog box is normal.

I'd say this should be changed. The main display usually has standard settings for daily use (internet, mail, text etc) and the colour calibrated display has lower contrast and brightness to match paper prints and is unusable for daily tasks in bright light.
All dialog boxes should appear next to the mouse click irrelevant of display priority. And C1 should always open the same way and not needing to move viewer window around. Just sayin'

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:06 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C1 Dual Monitor Brush settings...

Thanks for reporting back!

You should send a feature request to Phase One via their Support page. There are a number of UI characteristics that could be changed, and from what I've read on their forum (not FM; the C1 forums), the more "votes" they get for something, the more likely it is to be changed in future versions.

While I agree that interface element behavior shouldn't be dependent on which monitor is being used, I don't share your notion that the brightnesses of the monitors should be different. There are lots of scenarios where both monitors need to be the same brightness if you're doing image editing and other tasks, including some in C1. For example: my C1 culling workspace uses both monitors: primary has a browser in grid display so I can quickly parse through all images in an import. Secondary monitor is a full-screen browser that shows the currently selected image so I can assess details without constantly switching views.

Similarly, when I [briefly] tried LR several years ago, the default dual monitor config that I recall LR creating, had a detailed view + tools on the primary monitor and a large image view on the secondary.

I have a pair of calibrated NEC PA272w's: one set to aRGB and the other to sRGB and I edit in aRGB. With my setup, I can edit as I want for wide-gamut prints (primary monitor) and check/adjust images for web posting on the secondary monitor.

When I started calibrating my monitors a long time ago, I had trouble adapting to calibrated lower brightness settings, but once I got used to it, I actually had less eye strain and lower cd became fine.

Jan 09, 2018 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.