New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Water In Camera

rabend

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Water In Camera

This topic came up in another forum and I thought I would post my comment/recommendations here for information:

Once water enters an electronic device with an electrical potential (battery) and dissimilar metals in water, conductive paths can be formed causing corrosion, metal migration, and new unintended conductive paths. While a camera can be dried out and begin working, latent defects could have been created resulting in future functional failures and/or reliability problems. The bottom line is that you NEVER want water inside your camera!

Just a tip: If you ever do get water inside your camera, do not turn it on and if it is on, immediately turn it off and remove the battery until it is completely dry!!

Jan 06, 2018 at 07:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Water In Camera

rabend wrote:
The bottom line is that you NEVER want water inside your camera!

Dang, I never saw that in the manual.

Jan 06, 2018 at 08:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Water In Camera

Avoidance of water and risk of damage is listed multiple times in the Canon camera manuals, e.g., under Safety Precautions and under Handling Precautions. Maybe Sony or Nikon doesn't?

EBH

Jan 07, 2018 at 12:05 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Water In Camera

EB-1 wrote:
Avoidance of water and risk of damage is listed multiple times in the Canon camera manuals, e.g., under Safety Precautions and under Handling Precautions.
EBH

No kidding? Seems like basic common sense to me.

Jan 07, 2018 at 12:38 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Water In Camera

I knew nothing of the rice trick until I read it here. There are casual visitors to this site that may think their DSLR is waterproof because it is a $500 camera. If this saved one person from taking his DSLR out in pouring rain and ruining it, it served its purpose.

Keep in mind there are newbies visiting any site at any time.

Jan 07, 2018 at 10:31 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Water In Camera

EB-1 wrote:
Avoidance of water and risk of damage is listed multiple times in the Canon camera manuals, e.g., under Safety Precautions and under Handling Precautions. Maybe Sony or Nikon doesn't?

EBH

Maybe it's because Canon owners need to be told the obvious?

But- seriously- obvious warnings have gotten out of hand. Maybe the next thing is a sticker on the battery door warning "pinch hazard."

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:08 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Water In Camera

MalbikEndar wrote:
But- seriously- obvious warnings have gotten out of hand. Maybe the next thing is a sticker on the battery door warning "pinch hazard."

Yeah, I think the Canon 400 f2.8 should have a warning, "Do not drop on your foot."

Jan 08, 2018 at 12:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Water In Camera

Sure, but Canon does not care much about your foot.
They may be glad if it protects the lens.

EBH

Jan 08, 2018 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.