New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · Winter Session 2

KristinSmall
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter Session 2

Congratulations to KristinSmall for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

Here is my other daughter at the same location as my previous post awhile back. A different feel for sure as my younger girls is into theatre and it shows in her posing while this one is a lot more resistant and less relaxed during photo-shoots. Still, she is getting better due to all the practice and we both love the results of this little session. I do have to say that shooting in snow is not as ideal or easy as it seems. First of all, the snow acts as a giant reflector. This is good in some ways, but also makes directional light a challenge. Also, in order to get the snow-fall, you need to shoot in overcast skies, which provides challenges in itself. Still working to perfect my methods and I do recommend getting out there and playing in the snow and learn more about working with it. The results are unique and beautiful. Feel free to ask me anything.

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.) I let her pick her own outfit/colors, but like these pinks much better for the snow.

5.)

6.)

Jan 06, 2018 at 02:39 PM
my1eye

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter Session 2

Great location you found there, and luv that she managed to do an outfit change too !

Jan 06, 2018 at 08:00 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter Session 2

Thanks! This was, actually, two locations. The first one is my favorite. It's a path through the town that is framed by the tall trees and we shot where it starts and lots of sky. The second location was at a local cemetery. Just nice trees there as you can imagine.

Jan 06, 2018 at 10:19 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter Session 2

A beautiful young woman. Love the shade of lipstick chosen as is clearly shown in #2. She looks great in all of the pictures and I would not have noticed any awkwardness without your forewarning. The snowy background is excellent in the first few though I like her pink top better than the bolder one. Harmonizes better with her light complexion and pink lipstick I think. There is even some pink to the background sky in 4 and 5. Has a nice texture and shimmer, too. The first might lend itself to a black and white. I also like the fact that you do not make the images too clean and perfect. She retains her reality. A small criticism: I like how well combed her hair is above her shoulders but then it falls apart a bit lower down. Great set.

Jan 07, 2018 at 01:20 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter Session 2

Very good set. For me, #3 & #6 stand out, although I admire them all.

Jan 07, 2018 at 09:07 AM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winter Session 2

Brev00 wrote:
A beautiful young woman. Love the shade of lipstick chosen as is clearly shown in #2. She looks great in all of the pictures and I would not have noticed any awkwardness without your forewarning. The snowy background is excellent in the first few though I like her pink top better than the bolder one. Harmonizes better with her light complexion and pink lipstick I think. There is even some pink to the background sky in 4 and 5. Has a nice texture and shimmer, too. The first might lend itself to a black and white. I also like the
...Show more

Thank so much for your thoughtful response. I'm glad that she looked more relaxed and I think she was in these shots. She's like a lot of girls who are just too self-critical, so when she likes a shot it's a big deal. I agree about the pink and just LOVED how those turned out. I will be sure to double-check the hair! I do try to do that, but sometimes it gets past me in the moment.
---------------------------------------------

Jim Rickards wrote:
Very good set. For me, #3 & #6 stand out, although I admire them all.

Thank you!

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:37 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winter Session 2

KristinSmall wrote:
Thank so much for your thoughtful response. I'm glad that she looked more relaxed and I think she was in these shots. She's like a lot of girls who are just too self-critical, so when she likes a shot it's a big deal. I agree about the pink and just LOVED how those turned out. I will be sure to double-check the hair! I do try to do that, but sometimes it gets past me in the moment.

I believe most women are critical of their looks. No? I talked to a young woman I ran into while we were both taking pics in a greenhouse. She was very pretty. Said she looked terrible in the pics of her. I couldn't disagree more. Seems par for the course. Except for my older daughter. Absolutely loves modeling for me. Often delighted with the results. Yours is a natural though this naturalness may have developed over her lengthy experience modeling for you. Keep up the training!

Jan 07, 2018 at 07:22 PM
doppler92

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winter Session 2

Pretty good shots with a nice background.

Jan 08, 2018 at 03:40 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Winter Session 2

KristinSmall wrote:
I will be sure to double-check the hair! I do try to do that, but sometimes it gets past me in the moment.

Lovely. I think #2 is my favorite.

Do you take along a "spotter"? My adult son recently helped me with an engagement session I did for a close friend of him and me. Doug spotted (and helped adjust) a number of small things like wardrobe and hair that I was missing. There's a lot to keep up with and having a good helper with an extra set of eyes can really help.

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:41 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Winter Session 2

I want to know the temp because she is pulling it off like she's not cold at all, impressive!

The snow overlays are believable, good job there. great work!

Jan 08, 2018 at 02:00 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Winter Session 2

doppler92 wrote:
Pretty good shots with a nice background.

Thank you!

dmacmillan wrote:
Lovely. I think #2 is my favorite.

Do you take along a "spotter"? My adult son recently helped me with an engagement session I did for a close friend of him and me. Doug spotted (and helped adjust) a number of small things like wardrobe and hair that I was missing. There's a lot to keep up with and having a good helper with an extra set of eyes can really help.

My usual spotter was there modeling for me, . My girls are so picky about their own hair, makeup, and wardrobe, that I didn't bring anyone else.

Vcook wrote:
I want to know the temp because she is pulling it off like she's not cold at all, impressive!

The snow overlays are believable, good job there. great work!

I think it was, at least, 30 degrees as I refuse to shoot in anything much colder than that. Saying that, it WAS cold and the girls (there were 2 others) sat in the car and/or wore coats before taking the shot. I probably still had to take a little red out of her nose, though.

Jan 08, 2018 at 07:22 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Winter Session 2

Beautiful!
I like everything about these. Colors, poses and processing.
Excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:13 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Winter Session 2

Beautiful images! Wow, she looks pretty relaxed to me. Image 4 is my favorite. She looks lovely in all of them. I do wish she would show some teeth occasionally though.

Great location, and kudos to you both for pulling these off despite the elements.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 09, 2018 at 11:28 AM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Winter Session 2

gregfixit wrote:
Beautiful!
I like everything about these. Colors, poses and processing.
Excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Thanks so much! Hoping to get out in the snow again for more practice and fun. (Looking like 8 inches expected here in northern WI this week.)

film_4ever wrote:
Beautiful images! Wow, she looks pretty relaxed to me. Image 4 is my favorite. She looks lovely in all of them. I do wish she would show some teeth occasionally though.

Great location, and kudos to you both for pulling these off despite the elements.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I do think that she relaxed more as time went on.

Jan 09, 2018 at 02:24 PM
4meNex7
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Winter Session 2

A beautiful series Kristin. I would imagine your daughter is happy with these. I also like the ones in pink. I'm hoping to get out with my granddaughter this winter for some snow shots. These are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
Ed

Jan 09, 2018 at 03:50 PM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Winter Session 2

Wonderful work. Thanks for sharing these. #5 is my favorite here.

Jan 09, 2018 at 05:03 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Winter Session 2

#1 and #4 are my favorites.

How did you manage to get her and the snow perfectly exposed at the same time? Looks as though there is a huge fill light.

Jan 10, 2018 at 03:58 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Winter Session 2

4meNex7 wrote:
A beautiful series Kristin. I would imagine your daughter is happy with these. I also like the ones in pink. I'm hoping to get out with my granddaughter this winter for some snow shots. These are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
Ed

Oh, yes, I hope you do! They make for very fun and interesting, unique shots. Living in NH and, now, northern WI, it's just part of life here and I don't want to miss out due to the cold. Please share when you're done.

mitchel674 wrote:
Wonderful work. Thanks for sharing these. #5 is my favorite here.

I think it's mine, too! It's just so HER (shy and sweet.)

walts.photo wrote:
#1 and #4 are my favorites.

How did you manage to get her and the snow perfectly exposed at the same time? Looks as though there is a huge fill light.

Thanks walts.photo! I did not use any light, but made sure that there was a lot of open sky in front of her. Also, the snow itself is just a giant reflector. It was overcast that day, so that spot wouldn't have necessarily worked so well with the sun (which would have been in front of her, also adding more light.)

Jan 10, 2018 at 06:48 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Winter Session 2

Thanks so much for the feature! Honored.

Jan 20, 2018 at 01:14 PM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Winter Session 2

Great shots, should I assume the Canon 135L was used for a majority of them?

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.