New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Background paper - getting it flat. RANT

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Background paper - getting it flat. RANT

Do any of you struggle like I do to get your background paper perfectly flat?

I use a system with a substantial metal core inside the paper roll to keep it very straight even when kept on the rails for some time - but even with brand new rolls I can find it tricky to get the paper flat over its full width.

You know the issues I guess, that ever so slight bend in the paper that is almost triangluated from the top corners to the centre bottom. (Not that bad, but ever so slightly).

I've tried weights, tried hanging under its own weight, tried letting the paper rest on the floor, tried the Manfrotto weight-bars (gotta hate those) and tried taping to the floor.

But there will always be that slight undulation that I can't get rid of.

I'll add that the issue is more noticable with dark colours.

Is it just me, or is this a curse that has photographers screaming quietly in their studios...

Jan 05, 2018 at 01:44 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Background paper - getting it flat. RANT

There are multiple fixes for this. For one, store your paper upright and away from moisture. If you're not rolling it out for full length, just drop it and put medium A clamps at the corners. If rolling it out, you might have to strike several scores along the edge of the paper to "release" the sides down - diagonal cuts with a box cutter usually do the trick, followed by a liberal bit of gaff. If you're doing top-down still life, generally you cut paper to fit a 4x4 foamcore and either pin or tape it to the surface after fixing the tension.

Jan 05, 2018 at 02:23 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Background paper - getting it flat. RANT

The paper is new (ish) and fortunately I don't have much humidity to deal with. (Moderate climate here in the UK). I do store my rolls vertically. Fortunately the aluminium centres for my wall rig keep everything very straight in use.

I'll try just the clamps at the corners, rather than my usual ill-fated attempts to support the whole length.

Your scores down the edge of paper sounds intriguing. I'm thinking you're talking about maybe 6 inch cuts every foot or so diagonally, down the left and right edges...? That's a new one on me. Have I got the right end of the stick?

Usually it's not a major problem, but tonight I've been screaming at a new roll a lovely dark, Oxford Blue, which is more problematic. Maybe I've got a dud roll.

But I'll give your ideas a try. Thanks.

Jan 05, 2018 at 02:43 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Background paper - getting it flat. RANT

Yeah, you've got it exactly right re: the slices at either edge. I saw it recently and the assistant who did it was like "Oh yeah, its the best solution!" Good luck

leethecam wrote:
The paper is new (ish) and fortunately I don't have much humidity to deal with. (Moderate climate here in the UK). I do store my rolls vertically. Fortunately the aluminium centres for my wall rig keep everything very straight in use.

I'll try just the clamps at the corners, rather than my usual ill-fated attempts to support the whole length.

Your scores down the edge of paper sounds intriguing. I'm thinking you're talking about maybe 6 inch cuts every foot or so diagonally, down the left and right edges...? That's a new one on me. Have I got the right end of
...Show more

Jan 05, 2018 at 04:51 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Background paper - getting it flat. RANT

Of course this could get expensive if it doesn't roll back up easily... ha.

It might work just as well if I do a slice at the top and at the bottom where it curves around onto the floor. A little experimentation methinks... But now you've mentioned it, it does sound fairly obvious so here's hoping.

Jan 05, 2018 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.