Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

I have a question about which AF area mode the professional sports photographers use for sports such as football or ice hockey. Currently I shoot in Continuous mode with dynamic area AF- area 9 points. I have my AF area mode switch at single point AF. However, in looking at the Nikon Imaging website, it recommends "AF-area mode: 25-point dynamic-area AF". Would I be better off if I changed my AF area mode to Dynamic Area mode?

Jan 04, 2018 at 11:41 AM
bu82

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

For football and hockey (and in fact all sports) I use Canon's single point or single or single with 4 surround points/helpers. If I used Nikon gear, I'd use the similar single or dynamic 9. The other ones won't work for these sports as they cover too much for me. But again, as long as it works for you, it doesn't matter what you use. I just keep it simple and never had issues that weren't my fault.

Jan 05, 2018 at 12:18 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

The concern for shooting with 'assisted' surround points is the camera may decide to lock onto a player located at one of these alternate points vs the intended target. Depending on settings, and distance to subject, the intended subject may not end up being in critical focus. Shooting with assisted points does work but be aware of the potential down side and choose accordingly.

Jan 05, 2018 at 07:24 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

It's a little like asking someone what dog breed they prefer. They're all great -- in their own way -- and everyone has a favorite.

When I got my Nikon, just to kick the AF tires, I shot the first half of football games with single point and the second half on Group. I think that's a good approach. I did the math and there wasn't a significant hit rate difference between the two approaches. But I ended up finding that I had more control with single point in the situations where I had to pick a single player out from a pile-up or cluster. So I stick with that now.

But break the games in half for awhile -- it's not like you are going to completely blow it with one vs the other. If there is a difference for you it will likely be small and you'll find a preference.

The absolute best explanation I have seen on the Nikon AF modes is this one, although not directly sports related it is "action" oriented. By the way, if my shots were as sharp as Steve Perry's (the guy who does the video) I would be thrilled, He's great.

Jan 05, 2018 at 08:12 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

I use D9 and D25 on the D500 (which doesn't have D9). I seldom use anything else. Not a big fan of Group because it will select the closest object within the box.

Jan 06, 2018 at 08:35 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

I shoot Canon. I use center point with surrounding 8 point assist about 90% of the time. I use this because with fast action it's hard to keep the center point on the subject all the time. I get more keepers using surrounding points assist. When you use the surrounding point assist, the camera knows that you first lock focus on your subject with the center point. The camera then uses the surrounding points to keep the focus lock should you (with the center focus point) drift off your subject. There are times when I use center point only in sports, normally pitchers in baseball that don't move that much.

Jan 07, 2018 at 02:10 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I shoot Canon. I use center point with surrounding 8 point assist about 90% of the time. I use this because with fast action it's hard to keep the center point on the subject all the time. I get more keepers using surrounding points assist. When you use the surrounding point assist, the camera knows that you first lock focus on your subject with the center point. The camera then uses the surrounding points to keep the focus lock should you (with the center focus point) drift off your subject. There are times when I use center point only
...Show more

PureMichigan wrote:
It's a little like asking someone what dog breed they prefer. They're all great -- in their own way -- and everyone has a favorite.
ms

good answer. I also put the AF point around the player

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Jan 07, 2018 at 07:40 PM
TopStepPhotography

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about AF Area mode for football or hockey

For me, single with 4 surround yields the best result. I shoot Supercross/Motocross and no AF setting sticks as well as I do with the movement.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.