FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

I had a long session, with the same Arcyria colonies, with the diaphragm more correctly positioned for the magnification and then realised that the ISO was set at 1,000, not a value I would use with flash. So I took more shots at ISO 250, but, after processing, I find these, at ISI 1,000 (these 8) quite acceptable.

Sony A7R, Nikon Printing-Nikor 150mm at f11, twin RC TTL flash.

These have been cropped, partly to remove the vignetting in the corners. FOV befor cropping ca 17mm.

The stereos are crosseye. The final is made from uncropped images.

Harold

Edited on Jan 04, 2018 at 06:45 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2018 at 06:35 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

I did a third session, this time at ISO 250, and with a slight adjustment to the diaphragm position.

Harold

Harold Gough 2018

Harold Gough 2018

Harold Gough 2018

Jan 04, 2018 at 06:39 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Nicely done and very interesting Harold ~ Ron

Jan 04, 2018 at 08:36 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Looks like little coral pieces. Nice work Harold.

Birdie

Jan 04, 2018 at 11:12 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

surfnron wrote:
Nicely done and very interesting Harold ~ Ron

birdied wrote:
Looks like little coral pieces. Nice work Harold.

Birdie

Thanks.

Birdie, I wish they were more like coral. Coral is mostly rigid, not moving about even in strong currents. These mesh-like structures blow around, even in imperceptible air movements, like demented wind socks at an airfield. That makes for interesting shooting of stereo pairs.

Harold

Jan 04, 2018 at 02:42 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

What surprises me is the lack of curiosity as to how I got the image to fill the full frame.

Using a teleconverter for a given format only enlarges the centre of the image, the resulting image having the same size of image circle as there was without the TC. That is what this mini project is about, not, primarily, about which lens is the best for the job.

So, why do I have a full frame Sony A7R? This is primarily for use with my legacy ultra-wide angle lenses, one of which (24mm) has shift for architectural use. There is little point in using such a lens on m4/3, where it becomes a boring 48mm.

Last year I invested in, as soon as it was available, a Laowa 12mm lens, the first time I have own such a short FL for full frame. I also had in mind that Laowa were planning a "Magic Shift Converter" for this lens. It would provide a shift mechanism and widen the image circle to permit this. I had in mind that it might do a good job of shifting my superb Pentax 15mm, plus various legacy WAs. Mine reached me in time for Christmas.

The MSC comes (currently) in two versions, for EOS or Nikon AI mount, the latter for my Laowas. Essentially, it did all that I expected for the Laowa 12mm and my other AI mount WAs. It seems to me that there must be a medium format x1.4 TC in the converter, which stretches the whole 35mm fomat (43mm) image circle by x1.4..

So, having been frustrated that the better of my two Printing Nikkors, the 150mm, could only be used on m4/3, I now saw a potential means of using it on full frame. I had a mount adapter from Olympus OM to AI specially made and I find that, with a tiny amount of vignetting in the corners, I have what I hoped for.

So, the effective aperture used for these images was f14.

Harold

Jan 06, 2018 at 04:02 AM
Sager

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Which version of the 150mm Printing Nikkor are you using? There are the two primary variants (the older 1/4-4X and the newer 1X) to make things even harder I have seen at least 3 different construction techniques for the barrel used on the 1:1 version.

The adjustable magnification is quoted in brochures as having a 30mm IC- this may only be at low magnification. The image circle should grow as the magnification increases.

The 1X version should have a roughly 80mm image circle to cover 70mm Cine format and 70mm IMAX.

I have a 1X Printing Nikkor on it’s way to me now. I plan to use it on a Phase One XF camera with a IQ150 digita back (44mm x 33mm CMOS sensor). I don’t expect any vignetting.

The vignetting you are getting looks like it’s coming from an adapter or the A7r lens mount itself. To me it looks like something is physically blocking the light from hitting the sensor.

I tried using an A7r a few years ago and had problems with the lens mount. The lens mount diameter barely covers the sensor corners so I found that I was getting vignetting from the adapter I was using.

Mar 17, 2018 at 01:05 PM
Sager

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Interested to unravel the mysteries of this lens series - there is almost no documentation online. I’ll post some example pics when the lens arrives!

Mar 17, 2018 at 01:08 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Sager wrote:
Which version of the 150mm Printing Nikkor are you using? There are the two primary variants (the older 1/4-4X and the newer 1X) to make things even harder I have seen at least 3 different construction techniques for the barrel used on the 1:1 version.

The adjustable magnification is quoted in brochures as having a 30mm IC- this may only be at low magnification. The image circle should grow as the magnification increases.

The 1X version should have a roughly 80mm image circle to cover 70mm Cine format and 70mm IMAX.

I have a 1X Printing Nikkor on it’s way to
...Show more

It must be an early version as 30mm for the image circle looks about right.

There is no vignetting with the Kiron 105mm or the Laowa 12mm or the Pentax K 15mm or the Kiron f2 28mm, all Nikon ai mount on the same adapter. It is not an adapter problem but one of image circles.

The sensor is 36mm x24mm which is the same as the 35mm film frame. However, that film frame size was to allow for a card or plastic mount, such that the outer mm was not intended to be viewed. It makes the problem look worse but a 30mm image circle was never going to fill a "35 mm" frame, where the standard circle was 43mm. The x1.4 TC makes 30mm 42mm so maybe the circle is a little less than 30mm?

Harold

Mar 17, 2018 at 01:22 PM
Sager

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Interesting, does the lens have a ring to adjust for different magnifications? This would be the earlier (and vary collectible) variable magnification version, a marvel of optical engineering. It’s quoted in Nikon literature as having a 30mm image circle- though other sources cite it as having a larger image circle.

Have you tried reversing it? For the instance the 95mm Printing-Nikkor is 0.5X w/ a 30mm image circle in normal orientation and is 2X w/ a 60mm image circle reversed.

If you have the 150mm with the magnification adjustment ring you would just reverse the optimization setting if the lens is flipped around- So 1/4X would be 4X, 1/2X would be 2X, etc... worth a shot IMHO...

Mar 17, 2018 at 04:12 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Sager wrote:
Interesting, does the lens have a ring to adjust for different magnifications? This would be the earlier (and vary collectible) variable magnification version, a marvel of optical engineering. It’s quoted in Nikon literature as having a 30mm image circle- though other sources cite it as having a larger image circle.

Have you tried reversing it? For the instance the 95mm Printing-Nikkor is 0.5X w/ a 30mm image circle in normal orientation and is 2X w/ a 60mm image circle reversed.

If you have the 150mm with the magnification adjustment ring you would just reverse the optimization setting if the lens
...Show more

Yes, it's that one. To clarify: the ring to adjust for magnification does not affect the magnification but it positions the diaphragm at its optimum position, something which a modern lens would do automatically.

Thanks for the suggestion. It has a 62mm filter thread, so reversing should not be difficult.

Harold

Mar 18, 2018 at 03:24 AM
hayath
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Very interesting find and set, Harold!

Mar 20, 2018 at 03:52 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

hayath wrote:
Very interesting find and set, Harold!

Thanks, Hayath.

Once you know what to look for, this is probably the most frequently found.

Harold

Mar 20, 2018 at 04:27 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

e6filmuser wrote:
Yes, it's that one. To clarify: the ring to adjust for magnification does not affect the magnification but it positions the diaphragm at its optimum position, something which a modern lens would do automatically.

Thanks for the suggestion. It has a 62mm filter thread, so reversing should not be difficult.

Harold

I have just tried it on full frame. Reversed at full extension the FOV is 25mm wide. At minimum extension it is 45m wide. It is similar in normal orientation, 24mm & 38mm, respectively. There is nothing significant to be gained by reversing the lens.

I could see no difference between the lens orientation, in the slight vignetting in the corners, being more for the higher magnification (longer extension) in each case.

Harold

Mar 22, 2018 at 06:25 AM
Sager

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Printing Nikkor 150mm at 2:1 on Full Frame: Improved Images

Reviving this discussion... I had a 150mm Printing-Nikkor (fixed 1:1 version) briefly but found the 30mm IC too limiting. The 105mm Printing-Nikkor which I've had for years is a much better all around lens at 1:1 especially on a 44x33 sensor (in my case a Phase One IQ150). I sold the fixed 1X 150mm lens after testing it for a few weeks.

Recently I found the more versatile 1/4-4X version of the 150mm Printing-Nikkor. It's on it's way so I can report back when it arrives. From the research I have done this lens was designed to convert film formats with 35mm Cine (Academy) format as the base line for 1:1 duplication (hence the 30mm Image Circle). I made a diagram for what the image circles of the 150mm Printing-Nikkor should look like for it's intended conversions:

Nov 09, 2018 at 04:06 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.