FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Green McLean (+1)

dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Green McLean (+1)

Winter is for working through the backlog of of last year's pics. This was taken at McLean Falls, South Island NZ last Feb - 12mm wide.
Hope you enjoy!
Dave

Edited on Jan 05, 2018 at 06:55 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2018 at 07:45 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Green McLean (+1)

Great combo of saturated color and exquisite detail on this one! And the shutter speed is just slow enough without being so slow that the water ceases to look like water. Like it a lot, looks like a nice location, very well captured.

ML

Jan 04, 2018 at 04:11 AM
junglialoh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Green McLean (+1)

simply beautiful nice composition

Jan 04, 2018 at 10:36 AM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Green McLean (+1)

Beautiful image, very well composed. I love waterfalls

Jan 04, 2018 at 03:09 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Green McLean (+1)

Excellent work. I echo another_mikey’s comments.

Jan 04, 2018 at 08:09 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Green McLean (+1)

another_mikey wrote:
Great combo of saturated color and exquisite detail on this one! And the shutter speed is just slow enough without being so slow that the water ceases to look like water. Like it a lot, looks like a nice location, very well captured.

ML

---------------------------------------------

junglialoh wrote:
simply beautiful nice composition

Nori wrote:
Beautiful image, very well composed. I love waterfalls

Ipanematom wrote:
Excellent work. I echo another_mikey’s comments.

Thanks for your comments. I will admit it - I am a waterfall junkie! As for the pic I feel the need to do a "day after" critique of this pic. I'm happy with the foreground but not the processing of the background. Too much shadow recovery, which IMO does not give the deep woods feel that's needed. So I've modified what I think is needed. Its a laptop mod but I think it captures more of what I hope to portray.
Dave

Jan 05, 2018 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Green McLean (+1)

Love this shot! One nit. The main falls, in the small upper-right portion, looks yellower than the rest. That may be natural but I presume not, but even if so, it looks unnatural to me, almost like it got hit with a warming filter and the rest of the falls didnt. Personally, if it were my shot, I'd try to fix it.

Jan 05, 2018 at 06:59 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Green McLean (+1)

Dave this is beautiful!

On my web calibrated Mac (iOne Display Pro - Mac 27inch thunderbolt - 2.2 Gamma, 6500 White Point and 125 Luminance or CD - brightness - a loose industry standard) in a mellow diffused lit room, the first looks great. The second is quite too dark.

The only thing I might be tempted to do here is some local color work on the water in the upper parts of the image where the water has a warm yellower cast to it. In PS I'd likely duplicate the layer, put it in Color blend mode (so that tones/brightness/contrast do not change) and then go to the Camera Raw Filter and use the White Balance Tool there to more neutralize or even slightly cool it. Then slap a black mask on the adjusted layer, and use a white brush at a low opacity to ease in a more consistency of color, especially in the upper areas. But that is just a subjective call...

Great shot nonetheless.

Jan 05, 2018 at 07:21 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Green McLean (+1)

Lovely shots Dave ! Excellent work

Ronny //

Jan 05, 2018 at 09:27 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Green McLean (+1)

Mark Metternich wrote:
Dave this is beautiful!

On my web calibrated Mac (iOne Display Pro - Mac 27inch thunderbolt - 2.2 Gamma, 6500 White Point and 125 Luminance or CD - brightness - a loose industry standard) in a mellow diffused lit room, the first looks great. The second is quite too dark.

The only thing I might be tempted to do here is some local color work on the water in the upper parts of the image where the water has a warm yellower cast to it. In PS I'd likely duplicate the layer, put it in Color blend mode (so
...Show more

ARGH! Mystery solved. I posted top pic from my desktop and reviewed and modified on my laptop. I just brought my laptop into my office and:

- on laptop (Apple 15" MBP with retina display) #2 pic looks just right and #1 looks very bright.
- on desktop (MacPro w/Apple 24" LED Cinema) #1 looks just right and #2 looks very dark!

Both screens are Spyder 5 Pro "calibrated" at 6500K but the laptop is set at a recommended 180 CD. So I see the problem! I pretty sure the yellow tint was from editing so that will be an easy fix.

Anyway - thanks for the 2nd set of eyes and the PP tips!

Dave

Jan 06, 2018 at 01:42 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Green McLean (+1)

Matt Tilghman wrote:
Love this shot! One nit. The main falls, in the small upper-right portion, looks yellower than the rest. That may be natural but I presume not, but even if so, it looks unnatural to me, almost like it got hit with a warming filter and the rest of the falls didnt. Personally, if it were my shot, I'd try to fix it.

Matt - Good eye - you're right. Although that corner was hot the yellow is not natural and will be an easy fix. Thanks for pointing that out!

Ronny Olsson wrote:
Lovely shots Dave ! Excellent work

Ronny //

Thanks Ronny!!

Jan 06, 2018 at 04:06 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Green McLean (+1)

very nice indeed Dave

Jan 06, 2018 at 08:47 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell