New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

first impression of Nikon WT-7

david debalko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

Just wondering if anyone else is using this plastic brick on the bottom of their 850, I'm just very disappointed with it, You would think for $750 it would give you some verticle controls or at least a tripod socket on the bottom. When hooked onto the camera there is about 12 inches of USB wire sticking out of the side of the WT7 into the camera, couldn't they have put a connection onto the 850/WT7 so a sticking out wire wouldn't be necessary?
Not to mention I have not been able to link it with my computer yet.
It is a nicely designed camera, I feel bad hooking the badly designed WT-7 on the bottom of it

Jan 03, 2018 at 07:40 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

^, nope, not tried it. Thanks to your review, I'll pass!

Jan 03, 2018 at 10:49 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

So it connects the camera to a computer. Hell, the connector costs as much as a decent laptop. Nikon is totally daft on this one. Obviously the entire executive staff is becoming addicted to racing their cigarette boats. 934 bucks for a glorified USB connector?

Jan 04, 2018 at 05:13 AM
ilkka_nissila
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

It’s not a USB connector; you can connect a computer directly via USB cable to the camera without accessories.

This device allows you to do long distance wireless remote control with live view (using a computer or mobile device with web browser or a computer with camera control pro 2), transmits files quickly to a computer either wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable, or to an (s)ftp server online via a mobile phone or via ethernet, laptop and mobile phone, and lets you synchronously release multiple cameras.

I do think the ergonomics are not well thought out (no controls so it doesn’t substitute for a vertical grip) and no tripod socket is odd. If you want to get around these you’d need to mount the transmitter somehow not to the base of the camera (but to the strap perhaps, or some kind of a bracket that holds it (or a tripod leg). This would leave the tripod socket on the camera free to use either to mount the camera on a tripod or a vertical grip to be mounted.

If you just want to have wireless transfer of images there are alternatives: eye-fi cards, a Camranger (which also gives you remote control with lots of features).

Jan 04, 2018 at 06:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

Maybe they should have called it the WTF-7

C

Jan 04, 2018 at 01:23 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

ilkka, have you used the eye-fi cards? I checked B&H and it seems as though a lot of them have been discontinued, That would be a great alternative, I'm not looking to transfer RAW files all I want is to transfer small JPEGs to a near by lap top for a art director to view as I am shooting, I would like to hear other photographers impressions of the wireless cards.
Thanks,

Jan 04, 2018 at 03:49 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

The Eye-Fi cards are junk, personally I wouldn't bother. You can read all day about problems with them.

The WT-7 works well, but it is very expensive and does nothing for the camera ergonomically. Just have to decide what is more important I guess. I think it's value is realized more for people who need to transmit large numbers of RAW files.

If you just want quick, small JPEG viewing, Snapbridge actually sounds like it might be perfect for you - set it up on a tablet and it would be a nice platform for viewing. It sends a 2MP JPEG to any device with the app.

Jan 04, 2018 at 04:05 PM
ilkka_nissila
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · first impression of Nikon WT-7

I have not used eye-fi but know someone who does use it on a regular basis and is happy with it. Eye-fi is mentioned in the D850 manual - so using it is not going totally rogue in Nikon’s eyes.

Search eye fi mobi pro on amazon.com. I found the eye fi mobi pro itself along with Toshiba’s versions of the product. I read the two companies collaborate on the technology.

Jan 04, 2018 at 05:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password