Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working ...

dalite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

davev wrote:
When you're in Burlington, and I mean in, check out by the bridge.

At #18, this is what the far side of the river looks like when there are 600-800 eagles there.
_______
Oh Lordy! Some people are so lucky.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:06 PM
runakid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

As nice as 18 might be- 14 has the l-o-n-g viewing platform. The last Saturday is the annual chili cookout. I hope you all don't come as Larry's chili is so good. I am hoping for seconds.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:34 AM
morrismike
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

TAM63 wrote:
I was there Saturday, eagles were fishing out by the dam. Not many at all came in close. Got a few shots. No eagles even considered the artificial perches, unfortunately.

They did throw out a few fish. Anyone know where you buy the fish to put out? Seems to be commonly done at this location, and I read that the authorities say it is ok, as long as the fish is local.

I don't think you should be throwing fish out for them.

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:06 AM
kkennardis
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

morrismike wrote:

I hear some of the guys that throw fish out there are catching them in the morning so throw in the river in the afternoon. If that is true, technically the eagles are eating the same fish they would have eaten anyway. Not sure if it is legal though.

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:22 AM
TAM63
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

morrismike wrote:

I wouldn't do that in general. But it seems to go on there, all the time. There are even newspaper articles about it. I did a little research, even the DNR I think it was said it was ok, if the fish was locally caught.

Since it is happening anyway, and I am benefitting from what the other guys are doing, I was mostly trying to share in the cost, to be fair.

I was asking about it, because if I were to get some, I would want to make sure it was the correct local fish, as I would not want to harm them.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:47 AM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

To the guys that have experience out there-- how have conditions been recently? I'm thinking about making the drive out this weekend!

Jan 16, 2018 at 04:45 PM
kkennardis
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

mb126 wrote:
To the guys that have experience out there-- how have conditions been recently? I'm thinking about making the drive out this weekend!

I was out there 2 weeks ago where the high temps where 7 deg on Friday, and 9 deg on Saturday and there was a lot of eagle activity. It really depends on how cold it is at L&D14. I have been there when the temps dropped to single digits, i froze my butt off but the eagles were feeding an very active. Then next day, temps rose to about 34 deg and activity dropped by 75%. Since then, my decision to make the 7 hour trip depends on it being very cold and sunny. If there is snow on the ground, even better.

I hope this helps.

ken

Jan 16, 2018 at 08:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TAM63
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

mb126 wrote:

I was there Saturday, it was cold, but it wasn't great - there was a reasonable number of eagles, but they mostly were fishing way out by the dam. I am going back tomorrow, I can let you know what happens. Looks like it is warming up after the next couple days though.

Jan 16, 2018 at 09:01 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

TAM63 wrote:
I wouldn't do that in general. But it seems to go on there, all the time. There are even newspaper articles about it. I did a little research, even the DNR I think it was said it was ok, if the fish was locally caught.

Since it is happening anyway, and I am benefitting from what the other guys are doing, I was mostly trying to share in the cost, to be fair.

I was asking about it, because if I were to get some, I would want to make sure it was the correct local fish, as I would
...Show more
gizzard shad is what you want then

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM
TAM63
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

morrismike wrote:
gizzard shad is what you want then

Thank you.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:18 PM
Brian Kluball

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Was there Sunday and yesterday. Stopped in Keokuk on my way up to L&D 14 and there were tons of Eagles/activity but it was difficult to get close. Yesterday I was shooting at L&D 14 from sunrise to about 1600 with a quick lunch at noon. Routine for the day was to wait 15-20 mins for 15-60 secs of activity close up (most of the time just one Eagle, but on a couple occasions we would get a whole group at once). Unfortunately the river just isnít frozen over all that much so they are doing a lot of fishing further out in the middle.

All that said, it was my first time there and Iím hooked!!! May even pop back up again this season since we live closer now. I shot a 5D4 with 100-400 II plus 1.4X III and I was able to come away with some shots Iím happy with.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:37 AM
Doug C
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Brian, thanks for the report. I'm considering making a trip my myself- I live just down the road from you!

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:49 AM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Brian Kluball wrote:
Was there Sunday and yesterday. Stopped in Keokuk on my way up to L&D 14 and there were tons of Eagles/activity but it was difficult to get close. Yesterday I was shooting at L&D 14 from sunrise to about 1600 with a quick lunch at noon. Routine for the day was to wait 15-20 mins for 15-60 secs of activity close up (most of the time just one Eagle, but on a couple occasions we would get a whole group at once). Unfortunately the river just isnít frozen over all that much so they are doing a lot of
...Show more

Awesome, thanks for the report! Hoping that 80D+2x+300 IS II will be enough reach but I've got the 1DX2 just in case they come close

Jan 17, 2018 at 03:38 PM
kkennardis
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

mb126 wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the report! Hoping that 80D+2x+300 IS II will be enough reach but I've got the 1DX2 just in case they come close

300mm with a 2x (600mm) will be enough.

Jan 17, 2018 at 07:46 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password