Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2018 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

kkennardis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Hi FM friends.

I'm thinking about making the 7 hour trip to L&D14 in the coming days and I heard that some new perches have been installed out there in place of the old trees and I was wondering how things have been since?

Link to the post discussing the removal of the tree and the installation of the new perches.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508854/0?keyword=14,Lock,and#14183329

Has anyone been out there recently? Its been a couple of years since my last visit to L&D 14. With this recent cold weather and snow i would imagine activity is picking up.

Thanks in advance for any info provided,
Ken

Jan 03, 2018 at 09:31 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

There have been a few postings over the last few days on this topic. I was there 12/29 on my way back home from the holidays. Terrible weather with a few birds. None were using the perches.
Yesterday, 1/2, I was at L & D 24 in Clarksville, MO. Probably around 100 birds with 12-20 in the air most of the time I was there (4 hours).

Jan 03, 2018 at 12:28 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

12/30 I counted atleast 18-20 at one time and none of them used it till I was there.

Jan 03, 2018 at 02:38 PM
BugLightGeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

ahamp wrote:
There have been a few postings over the last few days on this topic. I was there 12/29 on my way back home from the holidays. Terrible weather with a few birds. None were using the perches.
Yesterday, 1/2, I was at L & D 24 in Clarksville, MO. Probably around 100 birds with 12-20 in the air most of the time I was there (4 hours).

Were you able to get good shots at Clarksville?
I've been there but the observation area hasn't been allowing me to get any fishing shots...just wondering about your experience.

Thanks.

Jan 04, 2018 at 11:36 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

I got a few decent shots. My 500mm f/4 is acting up and may need to be sent in. In the past I have been able to get some good shots there. A friend told me about watching the weather forecasts to see which direction the wind is from. It makes a HUGE difference in photographing the fishing action.

Jan 04, 2018 at 12:20 PM
BugLightGeek
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Oh? Care to elaborate?

Jan 04, 2018 at 02:14 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

For those that have been to L+D 14 -- how long of an FL is necessary? Is 600mm FF sufficient?

Jan 04, 2018 at 02:43 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Regarding L&D 14, sometimes 600mm is too long. The times I have been there I mount a 500mm on a tripod and keep a 300mm or my 200-500 zoom handy on another body.

Jan 04, 2018 at 02:57 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

BugLightGeek wrote:
Oh? Care to elaborate?

The winds need to be from the south, west, or southwest. The birds usually swoop into the wind. You don't want butt shots. So, the winds from these directions encourage the birds to face you as they fish.

Jan 04, 2018 at 03:00 PM
kkennardis
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

mb126 wrote:
For those that have been to L+D 14 -- how long of an FL is necessary? Is 600mm FF sufficient?

I have been to L&D 14 a few times. I shoot a 500mm F/4 IS with a 1.4x tele. I do bring a long a 400mm f/5.6 but rarely use it. it all depends where the eagles come in and grab their fish and how well you can keep them in the frame when it gets tight. I have clipped wings a few times but I have also grabbed full frame beauties which is worth it. Sometimes if they are coming in to close, i just remove the tele.

I'm going there this weekend and it has been a couple of years since my last visit, I will probably start out without the tele.

Jan 04, 2018 at 03:24 PM
GregWCIL

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Ken,

I'm going to try to post a link below to the Army Corps of Engineers website where they do an eagle count every Wednesday for all the locks and dams on the Mississippi. You may also want to google Starved Rock State Park on the Illinois River. They will have plenty of eagles there too.

A photographer friend of mine and I are planning to head to Keokuk on Saturday then on up to L&D 14 in the afternoon. Keokuk has great access for photography on the Illinois side of the bridge and good light in the morning. Lots of trees there where they perch and the dam lets water out on that side. I was through there Dec. 29 and there were dozens sitting in trees and fishing.

I just checked the below website and yesterday L&D 14 had 38 adults and 17 juveniles.

Now the CRAZY news: L&D 18 at Burlington has 491 adults and 66 juvies!!! Can you IMAGINE that? Keokuk is loaded too: 193 adults and 62 imature eagles!

So we will probably still go there first then to Burlington next.

Does anyone here know how good the access is at Burlington on the east or west sides? Google Earth shows a public road right to the east side of the locks and perhaps a private road going south along where the open water would be on the Illinois side. Plus lots of trees for roosting. If I knew it was good access we might head to Burlington first. 550 eagles - wow.

Maybe we'll bump into you there.

www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Mississippi-River-Project/Education/Eagle-Watching/Eagle-Counts/

May have to copy and paste and delete the fredmiranda part of the address.

Jan 04, 2018 at 04:45 PM
kkennardis
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Thanks for the info GregWCIL

I have heard that Burlington has a lot of eagles but not sure if you can get as close to them as you can at L&D14. That is what makes 14 so special, the counts may be low but they fish close to you. Ole Miss is a big wide river.

I will be there tomorrow and Saturday. Ill be standing next to the guy with a big beard lol.

Jan 04, 2018 at 05:58 PM
GregWCIL

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Maybe we will bump into you there. Biggest issue with L&D 18 at Burlington is only access from east side I think. Thats great for morning light but not so good in the afternoon so we may head up your way. Look for two guys, two D500's and two 200-500's.

I'll check back on here late tomorrow. Maybe you will have an live update by then. Happy hunting.

Jan 04, 2018 at 06:03 PM
davev
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

When you're in Burlington, and I mean in, check out by the bridge.
In years past we've stood in a parking (in the afternoon) and got shots of them fishing right there.
The peregrine falcon that lived on the bridge didn't like the eagles in the area.

https://photos.smugmug.com/WildLife/Eagles1/i-dJJkwxm/3/98974fc3/O/IMG_4503%20eagle%20and%20falcon.jpg

At #18, this is what the far side of the river looks like when there are 600-800 eagles there.

https://photos.smugmug.com/WildLife/Eagles1/i-wS59qf8/2/86074b95/O/IMG_3698%20many.jpg

On the way to the dam, you go by an irrigation ditch (I think). Check the trees around there also.
We found these birds during a blizzard along that ditch.

https://photos.smugmug.com/WildLife/Eagles1/i-CvJmjxV/0/3bb73060/O/IMG_3838%2060%20eagle.jpg

Also if you have time, check out by the power plant.

https://photos.smugmug.com/WildLife/Eagles1/i-d9bQ7GF/5/1d5a4b56/O/IMG_5734%20power%20plant.jpg

Ok, that's all I got. Good luck.

Jan 04, 2018 at 07:37 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

I have never been to L&D 18. Where is the best place(s) to see birds and photograph?

Jan 04, 2018 at 07:46 PM
GregWCIL

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

davev wrote:
Ok, that's all I got. Good luck.

An amazing sight. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 04, 2018 at 08:08 PM
GregWCIL

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

ahamp wrote:
I have never been to L&D 18. Where is the best place(s) to see birds and photograph?

I haven't been there but on google earth it looks like the east side.

Jan 04, 2018 at 08:13 PM
CJMiller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

I live in Iowa City, Iowa, so decided to drive down to #17 at New Boston this morning. More eagles than I can count. 50-60 in the air fishing at once. BUT-
NO PUBLIC ACCESS! Spoke to an employee of the Corps who was friendly and very apologetic. He said the only reason the gate was open was it wasn't operating due to cold weather. Only a small area of open water south of dam. Heading down to #18 now, but Corps employee said tbe observation deck is closed due to construction.

Jan 05, 2018 at 01:10 PM
GregWCIL

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

Wow, thanks CJ. were you able to get any pics? I'll look for your update on 18.

I assume you were on the Illinois side. I don't see any road access from the west. I'm not to worried whether there is an observation deck if a person can get near the water below the dam.

I will take my Ipad along tomorrow so I can post an update of what we find also. I anticipate spending some time in the truck warming back up, lol.

Oh, also if I have time today I plan to call the corps number for info which I will post here.

Jan 05, 2018 at 01:33 PM
CJMiller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eagles Lock and Dam 14 - How are the new perches working out?

No pics from #17. The entire area is fenced and private property belonging to the Corps. No access from west side of river that I could see. In route to #18 now. I will update post after I take a look at #18 in Gladstone.

Jan 05, 2018 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.