Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · 6D for sports??

wadeeventphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D for sports??

I own 4 camera bodies, 2 7D and 2 7D Mk II. I primarily shoot sports and prefer the crop sensor for extended reach. However, I am finally considering a full frame body for some basketball and indoor track.

I am looking at an older model 5D or the 6D. What do people advice? Other than the slower fps, is there a reason not to use the 6D for sports? Any thoughts? Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Jan 03, 2018 at 09:14 AM
Chyn

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D for sports??

I use a 6D in conjunction with a 7D2 for amateur sports (indoor ultimate frisbee this time of the year), and I think the 6D does fairly well if you can accept only using its center focusing patch. I shoot primarily in AI Servo mode. Compared to the 7D2, the 6D is less responsive, but coupled with a decent lens such as the 70-200/2.8, and a bit of anticipation and timing, I'm satisfied with the results. I actually prefer the image quality of the 6D's full-frame sensor over the 7D2. Depending on the venue and lighting conditions, the anti-flicker function in the 7D2 can be a time saver over the 6D.

Jan 03, 2018 at 10:34 AM
wadeeventphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D for sports??

can you share some of your images with it. Mainly concerned about how it performs indoors.

Jan 03, 2018 at 11:05 AM
FaulknersFoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D for sports??

I use a 5D3 and I consider it an overall equal to the 7D2 for sports. The image quality out of the 5D3 is MUCH better than the 7D2 and I have less concern shooting in worse light. This slightly offsets the better burst speed of the 7D2. For a very long time and until somewhat recently I have considered the 5D3 my "main" sports camera and my 7D2 my secondary. These sometimes switch depending on venue and lighting. I say all of this to say that while I haven't tested the 6D directly, the better image quality can counterbalance the lack of burst. Also, during action it is exceedingly rare for me to use an AF point other than center or center expanded so I don't see a lack of AF points being an issue.

Jan 03, 2018 at 02:36 PM
Mark Kuhlmann
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D for sports??

A few years ago, I had a 5d3 and a 6d used as a backup camera. I shot all kinds of sports, including indoor basketball at 1/1250 f/2.8 6400. Under those conditions, the AF on the 5d3 blew away the 6d. The 6d was honestly terrible in that regard.

I used the 7d2 for a while as well. The focus is still spotty, but better than the 6d. Massive decrease in image quality, though.

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:34 PM
espo22lax
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D for sports??

I shot on the 6D for several years and like others have stated the center point is very reliable but can make framing tough. The low FPS isn't ideal but depending on the sport it can take some great shots. I've shot lacrosse, football, BIF, kids/pets with the 6D/7D2/5D4/6D2.

7D2 has the "best" AF as far as responsiveness and customization but lacks in IQ to the FF cameras. 6D was fine as long as I knew its limitations. 5D4 was almost as good as 7D2. 6D2 falls somewhere in between 6D and 5D4 respectively. 6D2 was a happy medium between IQ/Frame Rate/Tracking.

I've included some shots from the 6D below:

Jan 03, 2018 at 06:40 PM
wadeeventphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D for sports??

Thanks so much!!

Jan 04, 2018 at 10:05 AM
TopStepPhotography

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D for sports??

Although the 6d is a fine body, you couldn’t pay me to use one vs a 5d3. I used a 6d and 7d2. I now use a 1dx and 5d3. The 6d just lacks SO much in af and speed for sports.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.