Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

White balance settings for heavily casted scenes?

Bmpwe

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White balance settings for heavily casted scenes?

I typically just leave my camera on the “Cloudy” setting which I believe is around 5500k. Rarely does it seem off in my EVF, but when it does, I just throw it to AWB.

I got thinking today, for scenes that are heavily tinted (sorry if that’s not the correct terminology), like a sunset, is there any IQ implications to setting white balance with a card and then adding color back in post. Or should I be aiming for the scene temp to be as close to what I’m seeing with my eye as possible.

Again, this is coming from a IQ perspective.

Thanks for helping me wrap my mind around this.

Brandon

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:31 PM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White balance settings for heavily casted scenes?

If you shoot raw it does not matter. The WB set in the camera is only advice to the raw processor. The raw image data is unaffected by the camera WB setting.

Dave

Jan 03, 2018 at 09:23 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White balance settings for heavily casted scenes?

I leave mine on daylight balance the vast majority of the time, in part so that if there is red in a sunset, for instance, it doesn't get taken out.

DPP and I think the Panasonic program pick up the in-camera settings. The non-camera manufacturer raw processors probably don't, but I still like to do it that way.

I think DxO does its own adjustments, and then you can easily adjust it back to 5200K, 5500K, whatever color temp you want. I have picked up slight but relevant differences between different in camera settings, so I like kind of like to shoot it how I want it, of course I often make pretty significant changes in pp. And I don't get too carried away with adjusting in camera settings.

If I'm shooting indoors, with tough lighting, then I use awb. Otherwise I rarely do. Awb is probablymaking non-color temperature adjustments, but, similar to what Dave said above, it may not be picked up by your RAW processor very much.

Might be a bit of a throwback to when I shot jpegs, but I like to get an idea of how its looking on the lcd, too, which picks it up.

Jan 04, 2018 at 02:35 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · White balance settings for heavily casted scenes?

In order to see how it influences your processing IQ, you can run some test shots.

I would recommend shooting three diff WB's for your test set. One @ 6500K (D65), and one warmer (4000), one cooler 9000). In this way, you'll be able to see the influence it has on your raw capture and on your PP workflow ... when you neutralize, offset, enhance your WB setting.

Depending on how you process, you may find a preference to shifting WB's or you may find a preference toward capturing closer to neutral.

Jan 14, 2018 at 04:47 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password