New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Take me to school on tripods

atracksler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Take me to school on tripods

I have a manfrotto 475 that is great for the studio, but terrible for anything outside the studio. Itís big and solid..... and big and solid. I also have a manfrotto 290 that is the polar opposite. Itís definately the baby bear and the 475 is the poppa bear. I need a momma bear tripod.

I shoot mainly with a Sony A7, and Hasselblad 500.... and a Toyo 45a. I have a nice heavy ballhead and a geared head.

Iím at the stage I my life where something like a Gitzo would be a good investment. (Kind of looking at the 1227 mountaineer), but Iím half Scottish, so I am thrifty. But I know the cheap man pays twice.....

I would like to do more landscape in the near future, so light is important.

I donít know why, but a center column is also important.

Looking for a good deal/bang for the buck. Budget is probably $400 max.

Any insight and or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:22 AM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Take me to school on tripods

Thatís a big weight spread.

You can get a used 1227 within your price range. Gitzo legs used to rotate, and opening and closing the legs was tricky. If you were not careful, as you loosened one section, the next section up or down was also getting loosened. They went to a ALR (anti leg rotation) system to remedy that, but I donít think the 1227 is that design. Having moved to the ALR design myself, I wouldnít want to be without it.

atracksler wrote:
I shoot mainly with a Sony A7, and Hasselblad 500.... and a Toyo 45a.

Edited on Jan 03, 2018 at 02:05 AM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:38 AM
Mike Schneider
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Take me to school on tripods

I just ordered a Gitzo GT3 series without a center column. A RRS ballhead will go on it. I have a smaller carbon fiber Manfrotto with a center column, and all I've gotten with a center column is another "node" where shake can occur. If you're seeking a tripod for landscapes, consider nixing the center column unless you're really, really tall.

Now, I suppose I'm doing everything wrong with the center column. Nonetheless, the simpler the tripod, the sturdier for landscapes, especially in more than mild conditions (wind, water, on boardwalks, long exposures, etc.).

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:53 AM
atracksler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Take me to school on tripods

Iím 6í 4Ē. 6í 9Ē with the Afro 😂

Also looking at the Benro TMA48CXL

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:58 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Take me to school on tripods

Look for a used tripod. Not much to go wrong, and you can get more for your money. A Feisol 3441T will probably do what you want. I have one and use it with Nikon DSLRs plus Nikon 80-400mm AFS, and also my Chamonix 045n. The "T" stands for "tall."

Kent in SD

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:43 AM
EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Take me to school on tripods

Feisol

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jharter
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Take me to school on tripods

If you want one tripod suitable from mirrorless to light-ish 4x5 then consider RRS 2 series. The 3 series is probably overkill unless you use really large lenses on the Sony.

Feisol is good for the money, but more of a chore to disassemble and clean. I had that issue with Feisol and a saltwater dunk. I figured it out but is was more of a science fair project than I would have hoped for.

RRS is simpler to disassemble and clean. The legs are more rigid. It is made in USA and top quality.

I am a Feisol fan - I have used them for cameras up to 8x10. But if you have the money, RRS is top of the line.

If you have the chance, stop by B&H in NYC to compare side by side. Gitzo is nice but seems a generation behind to me. I would get Feisol if your budget requires or RRS if you are able. Just my opinion based on personal use.

Jan 03, 2018 at 05:19 AM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Take me to school on tripods

Used Gitzo is what I would look at for legs. A 2 or 3 series model can often be found for around $300-400 at KEH or B&H.
A 1227 or 1228 is a 2 series
A 1325 or 1348 is a 3 series

I have both the 1325 and 1348. Bought the 1325 new in 2004 and the 1348 used last year for $275 . Phenomenal tripods that will probably last forever.

In new I would look at Sirui or Feisol. They will also run in the same $300-400 range as a used Gitzo.

And a great Fletch reference with the 6'9" with fro!! ,😀

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:39 PM
atracksler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Take me to school on tripods

I found a great deal on the Benro, so I went with that. If it doesnt work, I'll probably go Gitzo.

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:45 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Take me to school on tripods

atracksler wrote:
I found a great deal on the Benro, so I went with that. If it doesnt work, I'll probably go Gitzo.

I've used quite a few both Benro and Gitzo tripods and I've given up on Gitzo. My Benro tripods have been great and so have the Gitzos to be honest. Its the parts for Gitzo here in the US that's the problem - they take ages to come if you're lucky. If you're unlucky you have to get the parts from the UK and it costs but they're on your doorstep within a few days.

There's a comment in post #3 above about tripods with center columns. Benro does make systematic tripods, but they don't sell them here in the US for some reason and I don't think Induro does either. I agree with Mike's comment and I'd advise using the very short column that comes with that tripod as much as possible if you decide to keep it. I did that with a series-4 Benro and it worked OK for the short time I used it.

Jan 03, 2018 at 08:47 PM
hulk2006
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Take me to school on tripods

atracksler wrote:
I have a manfrotto 475 that is great for the studio, but terrible for anything outside the studio. Itís big and solid..... and big and solid. I also have a manfrotto 290 that is the polar opposite. Itís definately the baby bear and the 475 is the poppa bear. I need a momma bear tripod.

I shoot mainly with a Sony A7, and Hasselblad 500.... and a Toyo 45a. I have a nice heavy ballhead and a geared head.

Iím at the stage I my life where something like a Gitzo would be a good investment. (Kind of looking at
...Show more

MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Kit - $399

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1088684-REG/mefoto_c2350q2g_carbon_fiber_globetrotter_tripod.html

Jan 03, 2018 at 09:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password