New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Austin, TX After Dark

SeanHew
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Austin, TX After Dark

Hi,

I have a few images from a night walking around Austin, TX and would appreciate any critiques. Please let me know which one you like most and why and how you would improve any of them. Thanks!

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:49 PM
SeanHew
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Austin, TX After Dark

Sorry, first time uploading images on FM. Why are my images so large in the message?

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:50 PM
pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Austin, TX After Dark

They upload to the size that you had saved them, and it looks like they get downsized to 1600 pixels.
Fixefox image info on the last one shows the dimensions as this: 5,049px × 6,311px (scaled to 1,600px × 2,000px)

You used Lightroom to export them, correct? You can specify the size during the export process.

Welcome to FM!

Regards.....Pete

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:09 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Austin, TX After Dark

Welcome to PC forum Sean!

As Pete mentioned, you will want to size your images to be no more than 800 tall or 1200 wide at the largest.
Some of these are 5304 x 6630 which is way too large as you've already discovered.

If you use LR to can simply change the size upon export to jpeg.

Of the set I prefer the water/river image because I'm more into landscapes so it hit home the closest.
I do dig on the super low perspective and tail lights you captured in the first image.
All of them are nice but I do see a lot of banding in the sky which detracts. Might want to clean your sensor also as you have some dust bunnies floating around.

I took the liberty to work on one of these to give you an idea of where I personally might go with it.
I thought a square crop worked best which allowed me to crop off the bright colorful light in the water. I kinda liked it but felt it was pulling attention a little too much. That plus it eliminated some of the FG sticks. I also gave it a heavy cleaning but I might have gone too far with it. Might not be your choice of direction but it's a rough idea to ponder.

Resized it as an 800 x 800 for reference.

Again, Welcome to the PC forum!

Dave

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Austin, TX After Dark

Welcome to FM Critique. Good advice above and Dave choose my favorite to repost with some of his great eye.

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:34 PM
SeanHew
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Austin, TX After Dark

Thanks for the advice! My next posts will be a bit cleaner.

Appreciate the critiques, I'll make those changes.

Jan 03, 2018 at 08:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Austin, TX After Dark

+1 with Dave & Ben for the river.

I see banding (might be limitations of my laptop monitor), but if you don't see it, then never mind.

Jan 03, 2018 at 10:34 PM
SeanHew
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Austin, TX After Dark

RustyBug wrote:
+1 with Dave & Ben for the river.

I see banding (might be limitations of my laptop monitor), but if you don't see it, then never mind.

I do too. What causes it and how can I avoid it?

Jan 04, 2018 at 01:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Austin, TX After Dark

It can be a few different things. Most notably, it can be overly aggressive processing, but it can also happen in conversion / downrezzing / compression, etc. I don't claim to have the best answer, but if you're NOT seeing it when you are processing, then it is likely part of save / size process. If you ARE seeing it while processing, then it's a clue that you're pushing too hard, or need to try a different tool for pushing things.

Jan 06, 2018 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.