Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

So I have car/renters insurance with American Family but was considering getting PPA for my camera gear.
Yet it seems there is a lot of negative comments regarding their depreciation of your gear for example.
Still, I would like to hear from current/recent actual members so please let me know your experiences.
Other insurance recommendations for my gear are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Jan 02, 2018 at 12:37 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

I don't know anything about PPA insurance, but have you considered a "High Value Item" policy? I pay about $20/month for $15,000 of coverage via USAA and it covers loss, theft, damage (including mold in lenses) and there is zero deductible. It covers full replacement most (I don't know how they calculate this, though).

Jan 02, 2018 at 02:29 PM
markd61
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

PPA insurance does compensate at depreciated rates but is free with membership.

An Inland Marine policy that itemizes high value items is between $200-$500 depending on coverage and region and company.
From what I have seen, they too pay depreciated amounts. They say "replacement cost" but mean what it would cost to buy a used lens or body or to pay for the repair.

My experience over the years is that they will NEVER pay you retail price for your item no matter what they say. "Full replacement cost" is not in any legal sense saying "Full retail price for a brand new product".

Jan 04, 2018 at 01:03 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

The question is, do you shoot professionally or are you a hobbyist. That's a key distinction when it comes to getting insurance coverage.

If you make $$ with your cameras, consider a policy from a company such as Taylor & Taylor, TCP or Hayes. They have policies (like PPA) designed specifically for photographers.

Jan 13, 2018 at 05:09 PM
Hutch
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

Over the years, State Farm has been great. Have had two claims, one for a stolen Gitzo and another for a for a very damaged body and lens that got crushed on a Mono Lake Tufu. Each time I was quickly and easily paid exactly the original amount or the purchase price they were insured for.

Jan 13, 2018 at 05:24 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

The PPA membership insurance that is included with your membership is basically bare-bones. If you are a professional photographer with regular exposure, you should obtain additional coverage for liability and equipment. PPA has "sponsored" insurance companies/agents and the rates they offer to PPA members are good.

Jan 13, 2018 at 07:33 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

Have had TCP in the past, and have PPA now I’ll but will likely switch back to TCP soon. Haven’t put PPA’s base policy to the test, but you get what you pay for.

Customer service is extremely good with TCP, but depending on your gear the insurance isn’t cheap. It took almost a week for PPA to respond to a simple yes/no question after I signed up on the other hand... TCP was recommended by a few veteran professional photogs and videographers I know.

Jan 23, 2018 at 04:58 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

I have package choice. Your rates are based on the replacement cost. I’ve added coverage so I’m covered globally.

Jan 23, 2018 at 06:54 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Professional Photographers of America(PPA) insurance; is it worth it?

oguruma wrote:
I pay about $20/month for $15,000 of coverage via USAA and it covers loss, theft, damage (including mold in lenses) and there is zero deductible. It covers full replacement most (I don't know how they calculate this, though).

Remember, this policy doesn't apply if you're a pro.

Jan 23, 2018 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.