New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Texas photography

greiske

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Texas photography

I am going to Texas in the last part of May 2018, and would like some advice on where to shoot wildlife in the end of may. My destination is Waco, but I would travel anywhere in Texas to take pics.

Jan 02, 2018 at 08:55 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Texas photography

Have a look at Brazos Bend State Park near Houston:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/brazos-bend

Jan 02, 2018 at 12:16 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Texas photography

If this includes birds, Texas is a gold mine. Many birds there won't be seen anywhere else in the U.S. Along the Gulf Coast (Padre Island, South Padre Island, Galveston, etc) you will find zillions of shore birds never seen in OR. In the Lower Rio Grande Valley, many tropical birds can be seen at the many local parks, state parks and national wildlife refuges. You would also see javelinas, deer, coyotes. The ocelot is there, but rarely seen. Nilgais can also be found (Google it).

Jan 03, 2018 at 08:56 PM
lesgage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Texas photography

Got to the Rio Grand Valley to the "World Birding Centers" there are 6 of them, run by the State of Texas Parks and Wildlife...they are the best....for seeing birds of all kinds....and then drive out to the Coast and see the sea birds
Rockport, etc...
No big game that time of the year....
Les

Jan 05, 2018 at 10:56 AM
lesgage
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Texas photography

use this web link for a list of great places in Texas

http://www.stxmaps.com/go/birding-sites-in-south-texas.html

Jan 07, 2018 at 08:13 PM
Tom Conway
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Texas photography

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. V. worthwhile IMHO!

www.wildflower.org

Jan 15, 2018 at 02:07 PM
bboyd1943
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Texas photography

Tom Conway wrote:
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. V. worthwhile IMHO!

www.wildflower.org

+1 for the wildflower center in Austin. I do volunteer photography work there. And, it is only 2-hours from where you will be in Waco.

The Texas Gulf coast and Texas Hill Country are also good locations but a longer drive.

Jan 15, 2018 at 04:02 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Texas photography

If you have any interest in weather photography, Texas in May is as good as it gets!

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=texas%20thunderstorm

Edited on Jan 16, 2018 at 04:55 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:18 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Texas photography

I will follow this one, for personal interest. I did most of my traveling long before I was a photographer. Now, nearing retirement, I have the cameras, and the time.

Greg Campbell is absolutely correct about Texas weather. The Spring thunderstorm cloud formations can be amazing to see. This includes night-time lightning shows.

One warning about the coastal areas, is that it is often hazy. Check the detailed local weather conditions before a coastal shoot, especially if long-range shooting with super-tele lenses is your thing. The beaches are not very white, and the water is not very blue or green. I am not trying to discourage anyone from coastal-area photography; there are beautiful things to shoot, especially birds. Oh, the birds!

Highway 87, from near Port Arthur to High Island, has been destroyed by erosion and storms. Some intrepid folks still seem to travel the route, by 4x4 vehicle, but they must be prepared for deep sand, the worst black clay, large pieces of the old highway pavement, and the spines of dead catfish, which will puncture tires. There are wonderful bird photography areas in the Beaumont/Port Arthur and High Island areas, but it is best to use Highway 73 or Interstate 10, farther inland.

Regarding Brazos Bend State Park, check the web site before traveling, as Spring rains can swell the Brazos River, causing park closures. This has happened the past three years in a row!

Atlas maps can be deceptive, due to a smaller scale being used for large states. Texas is huge, so check the actual distances, while planning a route. The Interstate 35 corridor can have long traffic delays, from below San Antonio to well north of DFW, as the amount of pavement being built does not match population growth. The high-speed toll freeways can be a good alternative, so if applicable to your situation, consider acquiring a TexTag, or compatible toll tag.

Edited on Jan 17, 2018 at 02:13 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2018 at 09:15 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Texas photography

Santa Clara ranch is amazing

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:50 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Texas photography

yeah.. terrible beach and water colors. heat haze is always present.. .. and the birds are.. visitors-adversed. do your birding elsewhere!

just kidding.. ;') you didn't say how much time you planned for birding. a round trip plus general birding time will eat up the entire day.

otherwise, stay within the vicinity of waco.. ;')

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Texas photography

Looks like this guy is just another hit-and-run troll. He floats out some hopelessly vague question, then never bothers to read or participate in the discussion. Pretty damned sad....

Jan 17, 2018 at 03:52 PM
greiske

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Texas photography

Thanks for the website, this looks like it will work. It might be a little hot sitting in a hide in June in Texas but it looks like it might be worth it

Jan 18, 2018 at 09:14 AM
greiske

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Texas photography

I am going to a wedding in Waco, so I thought why not kill two birds with one stone and bring my big lenses. I have had a lot of luck around lake Waco over the years, Deer, Coyote, snakes, etc. I think I will be there for about a week, so I thought I might venture out a little bit.

Jan 18, 2018 at 09:18 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Texas photography

greiske wrote:
Thanks for the website, this looks like it will work. It might be a little hot sitting in a hide in June in Texas but it looks like it might be worth it

I went last June and it was bearable, the shots were amazing

This was from December when it was 50degrees

http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/img/s11/v37/p2688889642-5.jpg

Jan 18, 2018 at 09:44 AM
greiske

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Texas photography

Wonderful shot randy. Where did you go in Texas in June

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:31 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Texas photography

greiske wrote:
Wonderful shot randy. Where did you go in Texas in June

Thanks

Google Santa Clara ranch

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:04 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Texas photography

I have a great photo-op for you in Texas. I have a huge amount of family who lives in Texas so I go there every few years.

Go to Austin and some of the displays in the President Lydon B. Johnson Museum are amazing, if you're into some of the finest gifts from around the world that Johnson received during his presidency. I went there the first time when I was 10 years old and was completely taken back by the place and I was not a history buff or the type of kid who is interested in art, but this place blew me away back then and well into adult hood.

And then there's a bridge in downtown Austin that travels over the river. You go to the bridgeop and park near the bridge (or if you can park on the bridge) and wait until just around sunset or after sunset and just as they do a few hundred miles west at Carlsbad caverns, you'll start seeing giant clouds of black bats coming out from under the bridge and swarming in giant clouds around the City. They swarm all around the sky scrapers for about 45 minutes until all of the bats are out from under the bridge in their hiding places, and then they all fly off into the darkness to the hill country to eat bugs before returning at sunrise. It really was the coolest thing I've ever seen and when we saw this in 2013,

I would say that was one of the coolest things I did in Texas. See photo below.

Hundreds of thousands of bats take flight after sunset for their fill of millions of bugs. Check it out!!!

Jan 24, 2018 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.