FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Even though I have a 2-3 year backlog I desperately need to work through, for some reason I have recently wanted to go back to a few of my WAY earlier images. This was taken 14 years ago with the Canon 20D and the 10-22 (16-35). At the time, I was highly influenced by neighboring Marc Adamus's pioneering ultra wide, dynamic seascapes. I just knew I wanted to go wide, I wanted great light and I wanted water motion! I barely knew what I was doing, but I had been bitten by the bug! I reprocessed this the other day (with nearly the same results) and it was sheer joy. A whopping 8 megapixels! Can you imagine!

Canon 20D
Sigma or Tamron [email protected] (true 21mm)
f/4! (Strangely the depth of field here is pretty good)
100 ISO
1/13th
Single shot

Happy New Years everyone!

Edited on Jan 02, 2018 at 04:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2018 at 06:59 PM
twoflower
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Wow, Mark, that action in the lower part of the frame is really amazing! Also the sky looks really pretty.
Just that I'm not too sure if I like that part around that opening in there. Some haloing in there? Or may be thats just me.
Except for that, this is a phenomenal image, and kudos for especially shooting a photo this good [with a dynamic ranging this amazing, and color gamut this varied] with the 20D.

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:17 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

twoflower wrote:
Wow, Mark, that action in the lower part of the frame is really amazing! Also the sky looks really pretty.
Just that I'm not too sure if I like that part around that opening in there. Some haloing in there? Or may be thats just me.
Except for that, this is a phenomenal image, and kudos for especially shooting a photo this good [with a dynamic ranging this amazing, and color gamut this varied] with the 20D.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback. No, there is no haloing there. Could be some kind of illusion due to the light or fog that was on the beach. Not sure...

I have never been that much of a gearhead. I think great work can be acquired by just about any digital SLR (or mirrorless) set up. Even the Canon 10D... But, when we get into making any substantial fine art print... that is another story. With these older images, I limit the size to no more than about 24 or 30 inches. With the Newer cameras, I sell images as big as 96 inches sometimes... No way I would do that with this image...

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:09 PM
TheDman

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

I'm glad to hear other people have giant backlogs of material to work through too and it's not just me being a slacker. 😉

Great image, Mark.

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:22 PM
Anand Pichumani
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Oh that's beautiful Mark!! I think the rising of waves in the foreground is what really does it for this shot.

Jan 02, 2018 at 05:22 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Looks like you got all you were hoping for in this image. Beautiful shot.

Jan 02, 2018 at 05:28 PM
keepclicking
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Mark, that's a great image with lots of action. I think I am going to pull out my old reliable 30d and start using it as my second body! 😀

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:49 PM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Beautiful image Mark, love the wave action

Jan 03, 2018 at 02:51 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

TheDman wrote:
I'm glad to hear other people have giant backlogs of material to work through too and it's not just me being a slacker. 😉

Great image, Mark.

Good to see you here thedman!

Jan 03, 2018 at 07:47 AM
TheDman

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

savingspaces wrote:
Good to see you here thedman!

Thanks! New year's resolution: visit here more and get inspired by images like this.

Jan 03, 2018 at 04:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Nice Mark! I think I have more pics taken with the klack-klack-klack 20D than any other camera! Dave

Jan 03, 2018 at 07:48 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

what a great comp - love the swirl at the bottom

Jan 07, 2018 at 03:32 PM
kungpaogao

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

I'm currently using the Rebel XTi (400D) and it's quite surprising what you can pull from these "low" megapixel cameras. Beautiful image!

Jan 08, 2018 at 12:57 AM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Spectacular image Mark !

Jan 08, 2018 at 02:52 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Nice shot. Looks like you added some blue liquid to the rinse cycle. I wonder how long it will be before the arched rock collapses from erosion and forces of nature.

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:20 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

TheDman wrote:

Great image, Mark.

Thank you! Get on that you slacker.

Some may not know but I lived out of my car the last two years before meeting my now fiance, and I literally photographed over 300 days a year. I was either leading workshops or photographing, so I have hard drives full, that I don't even remember! It is a good problem to have as a full-timer...

dalite wrote:
Nice shot. Looks like you added some blue liquid to the rinse cycle. I wonder how long it will be before the arched rock collapses from erosion and forces of nature.

Thank you. No added blue. But yes, the arch has fallen, long ago! But the good news is that I have found other arches on the Oregon Coast that I don't think hardly anyone is aware of...

Jan 09, 2018 at 03:18 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Nice capture, Mark.
Maybe, DRY CYCLE will be followed?
All the best!
Kee

Jan 09, 2018 at 03:22 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

Awesome work, Mark. That wave action in the foreground puts this one over-the-top.

Jan 10, 2018 at 09:21 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · WASH CYCLE - Oregon

My 1st DSLR! Just a great capture Mark!!! Action, scale, depth..emotion...
Dan

Jan 11, 2018 at 01:23 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password