FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · E for effort?

OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E for effort?

I know that it is not my best work, but I wanted to share some of my -37degF (-38degC) work from Northern Minnesota. I live in the state, but rarely have the opportunity to spend winter in the Boundary Waters area. I picked mid-December with the hope of seeing some auroras, but it just wasn't meant to be. We managed to hit record setting cold temperatures during our three night stay in a cabin on Gunflint Lake. My wife and dogs were troopers as they shadowed me on hikes in search of a few compelling landscapes. If you have never shot in this type of cold, know that working slow is key and equipment failures are inevitable. Slow work prevents injuries like skin tears and frostbite, but working slow comes with greater exposure to the elements. It was so cold that the grease in my Gitzo tripods froze, so I was forced to stay low because the legs would not extend. During our first morning the -37 temp was coupled with winds that made for a windchill of about -45deg... fortunately, the dogs and Tamy enjoyed the experience and no gear was seriously damaged (I think ).

Happy New Year and regards from the frozen North.
bruce

© BTLeventhal 2017

Sunrise at -37

© BTLeventhal 2017

Sunset on Lake Superior

© BTLeventhal 2017

The "warm" day... (-8 degF)

Dec 30, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Butchdog
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E for effort?

You definitely get an 'A' for effort. That's brutal cold. -36 here this morning.
I really like the frosty trees and water in the third one. White balance is spot on.
I was there a few years ago when it was -18 and standing on the shore of Lake Superior was beautiful but damn cold.

Dec 31, 2017 at 08:55 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E for effort?

Hopefully you took a nice polar bear club swim too!

I used to love that intense cold when I was younger and lived in Gunnison. Entire months at -30 f. to -42 f. Especially early morning, working for the ski resort.

Now I prefer extreme desert heat. Either extreme can kill you though. It's all about dressing for success under either scenario.

I like the images because of their stark nature. I think you conveyed that well.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:12 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E for effort?

Butchdog wrote:
You definitely get an 'A' for effort. That's brutal cold. -36 here this morning.
I really like the frosty trees and water in the third one. White balance is spot on.
I was there a few years ago when it was -18 and standing on the shore of Lake Superior was beautiful but damn cold.

Thanks for acknowledging the challenge of shooting on days like these. I was really hoping for some atmospherics... crystal fog and/or sea smoke, but neither occurred.
We have had some truly brutal weather as of late... been a while since Minnesota has been like Minnesota
cheers,
bruce
---------------------------------------------

ckcarr wrote:
Hopefully you took a nice polar bear club swim too!

I used to love that intense cold when I was younger and lived in Gunnison. Entire months at -30 f. to -42 f. Especially early morning, working for the ski resort.

Now I prefer extreme desert heat. Either extreme can kill you though. It's all about dressing for success under either scenario.

I like the images because of their stark nature. I think you conveyed that well.

Thanks...
When you live in a cold place like this, one begins to be drawn to the simpler elements in a landscape. The cold forces you to work slowly and search for compelling compositions. While Minnesota is a beautiful place with a lot of undeveloped land, it lacks the strong landscape elements that are so prevalent in the west or Pacific coast. As a result, I spend my time looking simpler balanced landscapes that suggest something about the environment.
cheers,
bruce

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.