Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

JohanEickmeyer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

I was out on Nov. 3rd of this year to do some late-season chanterelle hunting, but was gifted by a near-record early snowfall in the Puget Sound region. This image is a spot I found over ten years ago when scouting out mushroom spots. I can usually pick a 5 gallon bucket full in minutes, as long as there isn't a bunch of snow on the ground. I did however get some very rare cauliflower mushrooms from this spot a few weeks earlier. They are the most incredible smelling and tasting mushrooms I have ever seen. Has a sweet and wholesome smell similar to a freshly baked fair scone.

Back to the photo... I only had my iphone 4s with me and did this shot in panorama mode. This shot is over 180 degrees wide, so the lighting from side to side changes more than it seems like it should. The file has been converted to black and white and then some of the colors selectively blended back in. The resulting detail actually surprised me, as it rivals even a single image taken with a full frame camera with a sharp lens. I'm eager to upgrade to one of the newer phones that can capture RAW files. It's pretty fun having such a powerful imaging device that's always in my pocket.

Spirit of Little Wing by Johan Eickmeyer, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, and have a wonderful holiday break.
-Johan

Edited on Jan 01, 2018 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2017 at 01:31 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

Beautiful!

Dec 28, 2017 at 02:51 AM
DaleBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

This is pretty nice. I have seen phone shots enlarged to 17 x 22 that knocked my socks off. Always amazes me.

Dec 29, 2017 at 03:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohanEickmeyer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

savingspaces wrote:
Beautiful!

Glad you like it.

DaleBerlin wrote:
This is pretty nice. I have seen phone shots enlarged to 17 x 22 that knocked my socks off. Always amazes me.

I am interested to see how well it prints. The original fil is over 8,000 pixels wide, so decent in terms of MP.

Jan 01, 2018 at 05:00 PM
another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

Yes - would not have imagined it was a phone capture had you not told us. Will be fun to hear how it came out printed!

ML

Jan 04, 2018 at 03:50 AM
JohanEickmeyer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Early season lowland snowfall, Puget Sound, WA. (iphone 4s)

another_mikey wrote:
Yes - would not have imagined it was a phone capture had you not told us. Will be fun to hear how it came out printed!

ML

I did a cropped test print, and it should look good enough printed to 4 feet wide. Seeing as how my older iphone 4s is now a security risk from the new Spectre and Meltdown flaws, I might be forced to get a new phone soon and stop being such a Luddite.

Jan 07, 2018 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password