New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

Johnwocher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

Considering the Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC lens for astrophotography. Reviews consistently mention bad copies, particularly decentering. Some having to return more than one purchase. Hate to get a bad copy and have to return it. Is there any way to check the lens by putting it on the camera in the store to check it? Maybe bring a chart (is there a chart?)? Is this a no-no in most stores? I can understand the store not wanting to unwrap it until you buy it. Of course (smiling), I could go out of the store near closing time,shoot the night sky, discover decentering, show the image to the clerk, and return it for another copy (maybe.....), but that seems just plain silly.
And for any astrophotographers looking in, is there a noticeable high quality alternative to this lens? The reviews for good copies are very favorable. I am shooting the Canon 5DSR.
Thanks!
John

Dec 26, 2017 at 07:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

I'd be open about it, and ask if I could take a few test shots, in the store. Try to find a counter top that you can put the camera on, point it at a wall full of stuff, and use the self-timer to take the photo(s). Or, crank up the ISO, and do it handheld. If you can get the camera pointed at right angles to the wall, then comparing the left and right sides in horizontal and vertical modes (landscape & portrait) should highlight any asymmetry.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Johnwocher
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

Thanks!
John

Dec 27, 2017 at 07:53 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

I think for Astro, it will be hard to notice a mildly decentered lens unless you capture a star field wide open on a full frame sensor. Little stars in the corners are unforgiving and it's hard to reproduce this defect with such clarity at a camera store.
Make sure there is a good return policy.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Johnwocher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

Thanks. I'll save the receipt!
John

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:14 AM
s4ducati
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Testing A Lens In-Store?

Go to this site and read this article on testing lenses.

Almost all good dealers have a return policy that allows you to test the lens and return. Just do it in the first couple of days and make sure they're not charging a restock fee.

/www.lensrentals.com/blog/author/roger

Good luck

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.