Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I have a need for a portable, battery-powered continuous light and wondered if any of you recommend a particular light wand?

To clarify: I'll rephrase my question: Does anyone have any experience with a Westcott Ice Light? What do you think of it?

Edited on Dec 29, 2017 at 05:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2017 at 02:01 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues wrote:
I have a need for a portable, battery-powered continuous light and wondered if any of you recommend a particular light wand?

Are you looking for wands specifically or panels/fresnels are an option?

Dec 27, 2017 at 09:47 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I think a wand would best suit my purpose.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:58 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues wrote:
I think a wand would best suit my purpose.

I haven't researched wands as I don't have use for them but I believe I heard Westcott makes one of the better ones.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:01 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I can buy a wand for $499 or for less than $200, an Intellytech or a Yongnuo for $76.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:14 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues wrote:
I can buy a wand for $499 or for less than $200, an Intellytech or a Yongnuo for $76.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about rest of them. What I do know though, from my experience with inexpensive LEDs, is that it is really tough to figure out how good they are, are they worth the money, without some hands on time.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:37 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

ZoranC wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know anything about rest of them. What I do know though, from my experience with inexpensive LEDs, is that it is really tough to figure out how good they are, are they worth the money, without some hands on time.

Yes, that's why I came to the forum for advice. I get you. I've got a small video light that is battery powered but I thought a wand would be more powerful and directional.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:55 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues wrote:
Yes, that's why I came to the forum for advice. I get you. I've got a small video light that is battery powered but I thought a wand would be more powerful and directional.

Wands can be used as accent light but are not IMHO directional (it could be just that I have different definition of directional light). So maybe question is on order: What exactly are you trying to illuminate?

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:00 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I'm not actually asking how to use them. I should clarify what I'm asking: I'm asking if anyone can speak from experience about the quality and functionality of different light wands so I can make a decision which one to buy. It may be that this isn't a product used by very many people on FM.

Dec 28, 2017 at 05:31 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues wrote:
I'm not actually asking how to use them. I should clarify what I'm asking: I'm asking if anyone can speak from experience about the quality and functionality of different light wands so I can make a decision which one to buy. It may be that this isn't a product used by very many people on FM.

I was not assuming that you do not know how to use them, I was just bit thrown off when you used word "directional" because I do not associate that word with wands, nothing else You are right, FM might not be the best place to ask about them. Have you tried dvxuser.com?

Dec 28, 2017 at 06:01 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I don't need them for video but I want to thank you for taking time to respond. I'll ask around elsewhere.

Dec 28, 2017 at 08:04 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

pasblues wrote:
I don't need them for video but I want to thank you for taking time to respond. I'll ask around elsewhere.

Regardless of will you be using them for video or photography you still should be able to get pretty good idea about their value/performance (CRI, etc.) from video forums. I am using Came-TV fresnels for photography but all of the info I gleaned on them prior to purchasing was from video users.

Dec 28, 2017 at 08:18 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I think it's a lot easier for people to give you advice what to buy if you give them some specs/needs to go by.

What power do you need, is CRI important to you. What will be you main usage with them etc.

Dec 28, 2017 at 09:45 PM
StoryInPictures
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I ended up getting one of the MTL (Magic Tube Light) Ice Light clones. I found a video comparing it to the ice light and it had more power and I preferred the quality of light from the MTL. When looking at comparisons, realize that there are variations of the MTL. I had a chance to compare them side by side after getting it and the comparison held.

The standard Sony battery was another big advantage, not to mention price.

I recommend you buy one with the barn doors, since it doesn't cost much more with and they are hard to add after the fact.

They provide relatively little light when you come from the world of strobes. They work great relative to darkness and are virtually useless in daylight, etc. but if you are using an LED unit, you probably have reasonable expectations.

They are like strip lights. I'm not sure where the comments about directional come from. These are directional in the way a strip light it, if you know how to use them, and the barn doors make them even more versatile.

Some subjects find them uncomfortable.

I find that I still strongly prefer strobes for power, but if you can live with the power level and it doesn't bother your subjects, they are handy and quick to bring into use. Also easier to get good results if they are held by an untrained assistant. Strobes and untrained assistants are more hit and miss.

YMMV.

Jan 06, 2018 at 02:03 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

Thank you for that input. Yes, they are for very dark circumstances just to throw some light in from a single direction as they are not powerful enough to bounce. I certainly would get the barn doors to keep the light contained to the area I want.

When I was a PJ and got stuck in a pack interviewing subjects at night, the video guys would need to use a continuous light source and I would often take advantage of that light to get my stills instead of popping a flash on the subjects.

I like what you said about the standard Sony battery and that's the kind of detail that's helpful. Proprietary batteries are a nuisance.

Jan 06, 2018 at 03:19 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

StoryInPictures wrote:
When looking at comparisons, realize that there are variations of the MTL.

When you say there are variations of the MTL, what exactly you have in mind please?

StoryInPictures wrote:
They are like strip lights. I'm not sure where the comments about directional come from. These are directional in the way a strip light it ...

Comments about directional came from OP inquiring about wands and then saying he needs directional light. To me wand is not source of directional light.

Jan 06, 2018 at 05:31 PM
StoryInPictures
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

ZoranC wrote:
When you say there are variations of the MTL, what exactly you have in mind please?

Comments about directional came from OP inquiring about wands and then saying he needs directional light. To me wand is not source of directional light.

There are a few variations sold under MTL name. One has daylight balanced LEDs and a plastic tube to change to Tungsten. Another has daylight LEDs on one side and Tungsten LEDs on the other side. Etc. the features vary.

As for directional light, maybe I can answer if you explain what "directional" means to you. I think we may use the term differently.

Jan 08, 2018 at 02:04 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

Definition of directional lighting: "Lighting, predominantly from a preferred direction, which provides illumination on the work plane or on an object." McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction.

Jan 09, 2018 at 08:20 PM
StoryInPictures
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

So I think it is fair to call the source a source of directional light then, no?

Jan 13, 2018 at 02:42 AM
kshimz
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone use a Westcott Ice Light?

I used to own the first generation Ice Light, it was nice, but expensive! I wanted to buy several more, but couldn't afford it. Aside for the high price tag, I had no issues with it, it worked extremely well. I'll be honest, I wish it did have a little bit more power for daytime use. I've also used the Yongnuo YN360W, which is very similar in many ways but for less than 1/5 the price.

Jan 13, 2018 at 09:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.