New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nodal Slide

spoupard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nodal Slide

Has anyone used a nodal slide with the native Fuji lenses? I realize that different focal length lenses require a different length slide, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what length slide I may need. Specifically, I will use using the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200mm lens. I know that's a huge focal length range, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm guessing I will need more than one slide, but what length(s)?

Dec 25, 2017 at 06:43 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nodal Slide

Software has gotten so good at dealing with stitching errors, parallax etc, I haven't felt the need to bother with a slide in probably 5 years.

I used to use slides, a gigapan, nodal ninja etc, and back in the day you needed that stuff, but these days you can sloppily handhold a multi-row pano and it still comes out pretty flawless with the press of a button.

Have you tried doing pano's with your existing gear and found problems ? I'd just try doing some straight first and think you'll be surprised at what you can get away with, even with regards to foreground objects etc.

If you really want a slide though, just line up two objects in a row, like two batteries, and pan back and forth, noting the distance of the nodal point til you don't see paralax. No clue where the points will be, maybe close, might be a foot, etc, but its easy to test it yourself and find out what the true distances are, then buy a rail long enough

Again though, not like your going to be doing any extreme near/far compositions with a 55-200, so I think in 99.9% of cases you won't need a rail for a telephoto

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nodal Slide

I've never done panos and wanted to give it a try. In doing some research, I kept seeing references to slides and assumed that they are necessary.

I'll do as you suggest and try a few panos with just the camera on the tripod. Thanks for the explanation on slides and for doing it in layman's terms.

Dec 28, 2017 at 08:35 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nodal Slide

As mentioned, really the only time you need a slide is when you have a near/far composition, especially when the near object crosses what will be a stitch.

I have a RRS 192 slide setup that I've used a couple of times but dont bother with much anymore

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.