New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Eneloop batteries

Smousefam5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eneloop batteries

Are these the real deal? I read about them on Rockwell’s site where he gave them a glowing recommendation for use with speedlites as they hold their charge very well. What is the real world experience with them?

Dec 25, 2017 at 01:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eneloop batteries

Yes, they are the real deal.

© jcolwell 2017

Dec 25, 2017 at 07:17 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eneloop batteries

I've used eneloop for years, so don't have much experience with other brands. But I stay with them b/c they hold a good charge for long periods between use, and seem to last well when in use.

I googled "eneloop batteries" and wirecutter and lifewire had some other brands with roughly equivalent performance.

There is a "pro" version of the eneloops I didn't know about until recently.

Dec 25, 2017 at 07:51 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eneloop batteries

They came out with the pro version, and is black and rated 2500 mha. They are good. I have 12 of them and got them 4 to 5 years ago or more. I could still fire couple of hundreds of shots with 4 of them after years of using them. I am thinking about getting the pro version and to replace these...I think I have them long enough..

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eneloop batteries

Check out Amazon's rechargeable batteries. Evidence seems to indicate that these are the same (relabled) as the Eneloop batteries----sell for less.

Ken

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:44 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eneloop batteries

Be sure to get the Amazon batteries marked with “pre-charged” or some similar phrasing to get the Eneloop-like ones. The Amazon batteries are very good: I use them in my speedlights and they work well.

Dec 25, 2017 at 01:16 PM
jstrawman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eneloop batteries

https://metaefficient.com/rechargeable-batteries/best-rechargeable-batteries-battery-chargers.html

Dec 25, 2017 at 01:31 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eneloop batteries

The eneloops are good enough to leave in flashlights for years and still hold a charge. Also much less prone to leaking than alkaline batteries. The only gotcha is the bundled Panasonic charger: not very smart and often refuses to charge eneloops after a few charge/discharge cycles. Get a La Crosse charger instead: can always charge a eneloop at any point in its life and has highly effective discharge and conditioning modes. The La Crosse brought back to full life all the eneloops the Panasonic charger seemed to kill.

Dec 25, 2017 at 08:31 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eneloop batteries

Eneloops are the real deal. I use them in my flashes, Pocket Wizards and all things photographic that require AA or AAA.

Dec 25, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eneloop batteries

I've owned over 100 AA batteries in the past 12 years, including eneloops. I honestly don't think they're any better than any of the other slow discharge rechargeables. For me they haven't been anything special. I currently own & use 64 of the Ray-Vac "pre-charged" batteries bought at Walmart. They work as well as the eneloops I had. I use these in x8 Nikon SB-25 flash doing outdoor shots, most often in winter when temps can reach 22F below. I have a MaHa 8-slot smart charger.

Kent in SD

Dec 25, 2017 at 09:41 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eneloop batteries

I consider them a bad choice. I get 30% more charge capacity with Powerex batteries and they cost less. I also am going to fully charge my batteries before an outing or event regardless. If someone is a casual shooter they might be better off using alkaline batteries.

When I need to use AAA batteries I always go with the alkaline type to get the best possible performance from these reduced capacity batteries. I also get higher voltage output with the alkaline and this makes electronic devices more reliable.

Dec 26, 2017 at 05:16 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eneloop batteries

elkhornsun wrote:
I also get higher voltage output with the alkaline and this makes electronic devices more reliable.

I don't use alkaline batteries because they're only reliable down to about 20F degrees. The rechargeables are good for lower temps than that. I don't use either alkalines or rechargeables in my CyberSync triggers though. The voltage in rechargeables is 1.2v rather than 1.5v, and I don't get as much range out of them. For triggers I only use Energizer lithium AA batteries. Those are good down to about --40 degrees. They might work in even colder temps, but -42F is the lowest I've ever tried them in.

Kent in SD

Dec 26, 2017 at 07:43 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eneloop batteries

enloop good batteries the choice of professional photogs. if it's not broke don't fix it they work just fine for me. it not like you're gonna shoot them into deep space at 10Żą˛ torr or -220C­­­­­­­­­­­­­­°. nor load them up on an MIRV. lol

Dec 26, 2017 at 08:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eneloop batteries

I consider Eneloops to be a good choice. I started buying Eneloops before other, better-battery options were available, and I'm still using most of the originals.

Dec 27, 2017 at 09:48 AM
xtian312

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eneloop batteries

I have quite a few Eneloops, but I recently bought some of Amazon's Rechargeable Batteries... So far so good. Haven't had them as long as I've had my Eneloops, but initial usage in my flashes show them to be on par.

Dec 28, 2017 at 07:15 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eneloop batteries

Amazon's rechargeable batteries work well in terms of power provided and longevity of charge, but have an extra skin making them thicker than both Eneloops and alkaline AA. Because of the extra skin they won't fit in many of my electronic devices.

Dec 28, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eneloop batteries

I use eneloop. Most cost efficient battery I've found, with reliable performance. The voltage is lower than on standard alkaline (1.2v versus 1.5v), but the advantage is the eneloop voltage stays constant until the battery is completely flat. Alkaline voltage is 1.5v for a fresh battery and drops steadily while in use. I don't know if this makes any practical difference or not. I've never tested this.

I've used regular eneloops in Nikon SB900 and in Flashpoint (Godox) V860 speedlights with great success. And then the V860II with lithium came out and spoiled me. But I still put eneloops in the AA powered flashes I do have, as well as in my remotes and my Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.

So yes, they are the real deal. I highly recommend.

Dec 28, 2017 at 03:46 PM
njjuliano
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eneloop batteries

Another plus for the eneloops. It is not the highest Mah, but outlasted all of my Powerexes, by a longshot. Keeps charges for years, and simply reliable. Been a standard on any kit when needing AAs.

Have not even jumped on the pros, but read no indication that they are any different.

Dec 28, 2017 at 04:20 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eneloop batteries

Eneloops are the most recommended rechargeable batteries for a good reason, they are very reliable and stay charged for a long time. I haven't check the prices for a long time but it looks like Eneloops are on sale at the moment: http://amzn.to/2Eaqd8u

Investing in a good charger is not required but will make the most out of any rechargeable battery. This charger is one of the most recommended ones out there: http://amzn.to/2Ck9oHo

Dec 28, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eneloop batteries

My Eneloops and Amazon pre-charged AAs have certainly outlasted my Powerexes, and they keep a charge longer. I use a SunLabz charger that lets me charge 16 AAs at a time at a pretty gentle rate. The charger appears to be discontinued now though. I use them in the D500 and D810's battery grips, and a bunch of Cactus flashes and triggers

Dec 28, 2017 at 07:10 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.