FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Best all around focal length for new york city

Steve Wan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Best all around focal length for new york city

These are all interesting and valid ideas. I was originally going to take just the 16mm but now i am leaning towards the 23mm or the 18-55 or the 35mm. Analysis paralysis?

Jan 12, 2018 at 07:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Best all around focal length for new york city

If you are new to this style of shooting and/or to New York, perhaps taking the 18-55 will give you the most flexibility. You could toss in either the 23mm or the 35mm and try shooting with them to see how you feel about the prime option.

rstoddard11 wrote:
One key thing to think about is you are going to be running into a lot of other humans. Traveling light is the key. In the crowds, you want to be mobile and nimble to move around. Carrying a big lens is prohibitive.

I really agree with this, though it is a matter of preference to some extent. In the past, I have photographed in urban environments, including NYC, using a full frame camera and several prime and zoom lenses. I got decent photographs, but these days I also much prefer the fast and light approach. I may carry more than one small lens — I prefer primes — but I typically work one lens until I can't avoid switching. I keep the camera out (in most situations) and attached with a wrist strap, usually holding it at my side until I see a shot. I often shoot quickly, though sometimes a bit of a slower approach can work, too.

My personal lens preferences on Fujifilm include several possible lenses. I like the tiny 27mm f/2.8 — combined with my XPro2 it makes for a very small and quick system. It has two downsides — no aperture ring (have to make changes with a camera control knob) and only f/2.8. The latter is a bit of a disadvantage for night street photography, where my first choice is usually the 23mm f/1.4.

Dan

Jan 12, 2018 at 08:17 PM
StoryInPictures

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Best all around focal length for new york city

I think the 18/2 is a great option. Small, handy, light and plenty wide. Paired with the 35/1.4 for lower light, headshots and everything else you have a very lightweight combination.

Jan 14, 2018 at 08:12 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Best all around focal length for new york city

If nothing else, all of the varied advice in this thread is evidence that there is no one "right" answer to which prime focal length(s) are "best" for New York or any other place.

For photographers trying to figure this out there are at least two possible approaches:

1. Pick a focal length (or two) and purchase primes in those focal lengths. Try them out. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Until you decide. It is far from certain that your first guess will turn out to be correct.

2. Get the 18-55mm zoom, a really fine little lens, and photograph with it enough to start to get an intuitive sense of how the different focal lengths feel and to be able to begin to recognize your own preferences. Then decide whether or not you actually prefer primes over zooms — you may not — and, if so, which will work best for you.

Dan

Jan 14, 2018 at 04:22 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password