Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

billsamuels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Yes, Canon has some great Xmas deals on refurbished lenses right now, including the 24-105mm F/4L IS MII. I had the first-edition and sold it recently, but now I have great regrets that I did this, especially because I used it exclusively when I went to Israel. I'll probably go to Europe this next summer and I don't want to bring a bag of lenses, so I think I want another 24-105mm, but which one?

The original one was sharp, mostly, but the lens drove me nuts when it would extend under gravity. I understand that the new M2 doesn't do this and the refurbished version is going for under $900.

However, I've always been interested in the Sigma Art series and I see that they're around the same price new and a lot of people say they blow away the Canon versions of the same lens. Sharper center and out from center, silent motor, fast AF.

Anyone have experience w/ the new Canon EF 24-105 and the Sigma Art 24-105mm and can recommend one vs. the other? Also, I know that both camera makers sell a 24-70mm and I have the EF 70-200mm, which I would bring anyway, so do I need a lens that goes all the way to 105mm? My main concern is which version is sharper and makes a better all-around travel lens?
Thanks.

Dec 22, 2017 at 07:21 AM
DtEW
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

According to Roger Cicala, the Sigma isn't that different from the original EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/03/a-24-105-comparison/

And the worst criticism of the EF 24-105mm f/4L II IS USM is that it isn't substantially better than the original, optically speaking.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/11/canon-24-105-f4-is-mk-ii-mtf-results/

The build and image stabilization is improved over the original, and both of the Canon L-lenses are environmentally sealed (the Sigma is not). And obviously OEM focus compatibility.

If there isn't a substantial price difference, I think the choice between these 24-105mm zooms is obvious.

Of course, the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM is generally regarded as just better than any 24-105mm... and the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM sits atop the pile of everything in this range as the king-of-the-hill with prime-like performance at many FLs (I can attest to this). But you give up image stabilization.

Dec 22, 2017 at 07:34 AM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

WOW that's tough because there are so many mixed reviews. Some say that the Sigma Art blows away Canon and then others say that any Canon L blows away anything else.

Dec 22, 2017 at 08:39 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

billsamuels wrote:
WOW that's tough because there are so many mixed reviews. Some say that the Sigma Art blows away Canon and then others say that any Canon L blows away anything else.

"Blows away..." is probably true for both sides of the fence since Sigma and Canon both have enough sample variation to maintain the trade winds...

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:16 AM
PicGuy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

I own a decent copy of the 24-105L v1 and have used the Sigma 24-105 lens. I wouldn't say the Sigma blows it away regarding IQ but I give the edge to the Sigma lens. As for build quality, the Sigma lens is built like a tank. Everything about it oozes quality construction, IMO. If I were making your decision it would be the Sigma lens over Canon.

Dec 22, 2017 at 03:13 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Yes but that was ver 1. I would pick the Canon, because the Sigma this time does not offer anything over the ver 2 Canon and the Canon is lighter, has OEM AF, and has the zoom ring in the right place. I accept that it is more $$ though.

Dec 22, 2017 at 03:34 PM
PicGuy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Robin Smith wrote:
Yes but that was ver 1. I would pick the Canon, because the Sigma this time does not offer anything over the ver 2 Canon and the Canon is lighter, has OEM AF, and has the zoom ring in the right place. I accept that it is more $$ though.

From what I have read, and seen, the IQ between the versions in mostly non-existent. If true, then, IMO, the Sigma has better IQ and its build quality is impeccable. These reasons are why I would opt for the Sigma. Also, it never hurts to save a few dollars in the process.

Dec 22, 2017 at 04:51 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

PicGuy wrote:
From what I have read, and seen, the IQ between the versions in mostly non-existent. If true, then, IMO, the Sigma has better IQ and its build quality is impeccable. These reasons are why I would opt for the Sigma. Also, it never hurts to save a few dollars in the process.

Don't forget to spend a few extra dollars on the Sigma dock so you can get your lens to focus properly - since Sigma leaves quality control as a nice little DIY project for its users.

Dec 22, 2017 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

24-XXX zooms from all brands historically have larger than average sample variation, I think between the two they are similar enough that you would just be playing that lottery whether or not you got an exceptionally good or bad one.

Dec 22, 2017 at 05:51 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Gochugogi wrote:
"Blows away..." is probably true for both sides of the fence since Sigma and Canon both have enough sample variation to maintain the trade winds...

CanadaMark wrote:
24-XXX zooms from all brands historically have larger than average sample variation, I think between the two they are similar enough that you would just be playing that lottery whether or not you got an exceptionally good or bad one.

That's probably the main, not-obvious-to-most advance that the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM made over its predecessor.

"Most recent Canon updates have also done a superb job of reducing sample variation. The original 24-105 f/4 had a high variation so I had expectations that things would improve with the new version, and they did. Again, here are variation comparisons with the original version on the left and the new version on the right."

"At every focal length, the new version has a lot less copy-to-copy variation than the old version did. This is especially significant that the on-axis (0 at the left side of each graph) has less variation, meaning overall sharpness in the center has less variation."

Dec 22, 2017 at 06:35 PM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

DtEW wrote:
That's probably the main, not-obvious-to-most advance that the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM made over its predecessor.

"Most recent Canon updates have also done a superb job of reducing sample variation. The original 24-105 f/4 had a high variation so I had expectations that things would improve with the new version, and they did. Again, here are variation comparisons with the original version on the left and the new version on the right."

"At every focal length, the new version has a lot less copy-to-copy variation than the old version did. This is especially significant that the on-axis (0 at the
...Show more

I've been a bit disappointed with the last couple of Canon lenses lately, though the 24-105 I got (V1) was one of my first lenses. Canon L lenses are good, but after trying other brands, I've learned they're not the "end-all" of lenses. I've been trading some of the older L lenses for Zeiss and Leica R lenses and they're just a bit-much better, especially the Zeiss lenses. Zeiss isn't any more expensive, but they're sharper and brighter. That may be mostly an opinion, but the photos are recognizable.

Unfortunately, Zeiss doesn't do too many telephotos/zooms so given that I would like a walk-around lens for some trips I'm planning (travel light), I was fine with the 24-105mm V1. The reason I sold it was because the lens would creep out under gravity and it annoyed me. Also, when I put the lens hood on it, I would get a halo and I even started a discussion about that last summer. That's when I said enough.

I saw that B&H has a special on the Sigma which is the same price as the lens only, but you get the Dock for free plus one lens protection filter. I usually use B+W and this is a Hoyt, but hay, it's free!

Does anyone know if this might be an older version of the Sigma 24-105 and that's how they're doing the lens plus the dock for the same money as the lens only?
Thanks.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Hi Bill. As you are starting with a clean sheet you may want to re-examine your options especially in view of your proposed trip to Europe. I took a 6D and a 24-105L V1 on my last trip. For general tourist photography this was a good combination but for interior shots of castles and Cathedrals I found I was constantly looking for something wider.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Ferrophot wrote:
Hi Bill. As you are starting with a clean sheet you may want to re-examine your options especially in view of your proposed trip to Europe. I took a 6D and a 24-105L V1 on my last trip. For general tourist photography this was a good combination but for interior shots of castles and Cathedrals I found I was constantly looking for something wider.

Hey, thanks for the thoughts. I do seem to be a bit overloaded with wide-angle lenses though. I have the Canon EF 17-40mm F/4L, the 16-35mm F/L, the Zeiss 21mm, Zeiss 25mm, and Leica Elmarit-R 28mm. I have no idea how I ended up with so many wide-angle lenses, but maybe I had OCD at one point!

What really happened is that I got the "L" lenses to cover the whole field, but I had always used prime lenses when I had Olympus film cameras. While the telephoto lenses were good, I still believe that prime is better and even my EF 400mm F/5.6, which is an old Canon lens (they haven't redone this lens in a long time), it's still sharper than many of the new lenses that reach out to 400mm today. Plus, I really see amazing sharpness and bright color with the Zeiss that I don't get with the Canon lenses.

I also have to note that my first "L" lens was the 17-40mm and I intended to sell it when I got the 16-35mm, but the resale on that lens sucks, and that lens has an amazing warm color effect that no other lens has, even the 16-35mm. The latter isn't bad, it's just not that warm color I get with the 17-40mm.

I used the 24-105 in Israel and it was invaluable, but that's when the lens started getting really lose and it just annoyed me, but all of them apparently do this. I'm glad to hear that the V2 doesn't have this problem. However, I'm thinking that the Sigma may be the way to go because it's about the same sharpness, the doc sounds really cool, and it's almost half the price. Plus the Art series seems to be a really nice set of lenses.

Dec 23, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

Didn't realize you were so well stocked it the WAL department. Have you tried the Band-Aid solution of an elastic hairband around the lens between the Zoom ring and the switches? Might say you enough for a couple of nice bottles of french red.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Refurbished EF 24-105mm MII OR Sigma 24-105mm Art?

that lens has an amazing warm color effect

Do you have a warming or skylight filter on the lens? Not a completely colorless UV or clear filter?

Jan 03, 2018 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password