Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Farewell at Rialto

keepclicking
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Farewell at Rialto

Mark, this is truly very dramatic capture. Thanks for the detailed description. I always love reading the details so that I can learn. Thanks for your contribution to this amazing forum.

Dec 21, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Farewell at Rialto

Beautiful! I love the simplicity and the drama.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM
tsaphoto
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Farewell at Rialto

Arka wrote:
Yeah anticipating ocean swells is really hard even for people with lots of seascape shooting experience... nothing at all like shooting along lakes (even on windy days). I was caught by an unexpected swell in a less dangerous place (SoCal) and lost two cameras on account to it. Not as bad as my skull of course but your point is well taken.

No, it isn't. All you have to do is learn to read swell buoy data, pay attention to surf forecasts, look at the exposure/bathymetry of the spot you're at, and above all else watch it for a little while before you wade in. I posted a guide to swell data here a while back in this forum.

Dec 22, 2017 at 06:10 AM
manzico
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Farewell at Rialto

Fantastic motion in that image, and the overall composition really draws the eye. Very well done.

Thanks,

Dave

Dec 22, 2017 at 07:16 AM
Apfelbeisser

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Farewell at Rialto

First thank you for your really stunning photo. The photo contains every element for a great photo. Mark, well done.

Dangerously getting slammed by very powerful waves (wearing chest waders) I took about 40 images here with the amazing conditions. I really enjoyed shutter speeds in the 1.5 - 2-second range here. Fortunately, before it got too dangerous I had caught an image that seemed to have all I wanted in it.

That's exactly what I was feeling while looking the photo how it was made. Hopefully your Sony A7r has not been damaged by salt water. I'd put strong and heavy tripod like mine (Gitzo 3542XLS) for that weather condition. But this risk has paid out :-)

Dec 22, 2017 at 08:00 AM
twoflower
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Farewell at Rialto

Wow, that is some photo, Mark!
The action in the water, the composition, everything is awesome.
If I were you, I'd adjust a bit of the black point, though, as the tones are a little towards the grungy side.

Dec 22, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Farewell at Rialto

Fantastic composition Mark!!! Really striking! Great technique...as always!
Dan

Dec 22, 2017 at 01:31 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Farewell at Rialto

twoflower wrote:
Wow, that is some photo, Mark!
The action in the water, the composition, everything is awesome.
If I were you, I'd adjust a bit of the black point, though, as the tones are a little towards the grungy side.

Thank you so very much for your feedback. I'm very glad you like it!

Now, COLOR MANAGEMENT for web... a major pain in the yang!!!

I am on a 27inch Mac Thunderbolt calibrated to 2.2 gamma, 6500 White Point and 125CD - a loose industry standard of sorts (Luminance/Brightness) using the iOne Display Pro (GREAT calibrator). I am in a semi-diffused room and it looks spot on to me. It also looks great and nearly spot on, on my non- calibrated (on purpose) Macbook Pro set to about the same 125CD brightness (three bumps down from brightest, using the button) which is a loose industry standard for brightness. Also, on my iPhone at a bright setting it looks good there too. So, "grungy" I am not totally sure what you mean... Probably your preferred black point for contrast. I do know for a fact that when you calibrate accurately, it will generally set your black point a little darker on your accurate monitor (which other people may not have). So, this can mean that on my non calibrated Macbook (and some other non calibrated monitors) the black is represented a tad less dark (slightly lower in contrast).

I also have a Dell Ultrasharp next to me, also carefully calibrated to the exact same specs, and on it, it looks even a little more punchy there (opposite of grunge - or lacking black contrast...). So, all this, plus the fact I have been studying and teaching color management for a living (part of it) for over 10 years... I have to come to this conclusion:

For WEB, all we can really do is get our setups as good/accurate as we can, and let the chips fly when we send our images out into the web world. Color Management Guru Bruce Fraser once said it this way: "by calibrating, we are shooting for the middle of a very wide barn door." Different devices view things differently, including different browsers, and different room environments... If I punch up the blacks, for some devices (including my own) they will get too black. For some not...

I remember a huge debate on color management years ago on one of my threads and I even had two totally opposing feedbacks in the comments sections right next to each other (in fact this has happened many times!). One person said something like: "the image is too bright and washed out." Then the very next comment by someone else was "the image is too dark..." I remember almost laughing and thinking to myself, if we are not all on the same color management page (device and calibration or lack thereof), how in the world are we supposed to be able to give very careful, fine-tuned, constructive feedback to each other?

So, I will end by thanking you very sincerely for the feedback, but I also have to take it with a grain of salt too because it looks spot on, on my devices (which it can't and won't on all others).

Now COLOR MANAGEMENT FOR PRINT... that is an entirely different story. We CAN control those factors to near precision.

Edited on Dec 23, 2017 at 02:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2017 at 07:36 PM
twoflower
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Farewell at Rialto

Mark Metternich wrote:
Thank you so very much for your feedback. I'm very glad you like it!

Now, COLOR MANAGEMENT for web... a major pain in the yang!!!

I am on a 27inch Mac Thunderbolt calibrated to 2.2 gamma, 6500 White Point and 125CD - a loose industry standard of sorts (Luminance/Brightness) using the iOne Display Pro (GREAT calibrator). I am in a semi-diffused room and it looks spot on to me. It also looks great and nearly spot on, on my non- calibrated (on purpose) Macbook Pro set to about the same 125CD brightness (three bumps down from brightest, using the button)
...Show more

Wow, that sure is an insightful perspective, Mark. To be frank, I learnt quite a few things from your intricate description.
Above everything, I really appreciate that you took the time out to write it all down in such detail.

Dec 23, 2017 at 07:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Farewell at Rialto

Superb convergence, well seen and done.

Dec 23, 2017 at 08:25 PM
Jred
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Farewell at Rialto

Wow, simply stunning.

Dec 24, 2017 at 08:06 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Farewell at Rialto

Outstanding work. The image conveys calm and energy both in one frame.

Dec 25, 2017 at 09:57 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Farewell at Rialto

As far as the chest wader controversy here, I have been using them with success for 14 years and am comfortable doing so. If I'm in an area where there is potential for them filling up I use the tight belt (which is rarely). But I will shoot seascape no other way! It allows me (and my clients) to go mainly unhindered where we want in very cold Pacific Coast surf. I sincerely appreciate the concern, but when you intensely keep your eyes on the surf, give yourself an out and take very serious care I don't see the risk as anything too substantial for myself.

By far the most massive risk I take doing landscape photography for a full-time living is the 50,000 - 60,000 or so miles I drive a year! But that too is worth the risk to me (and I have had more close calls than I can count). Aside from that, I climb cliffs, I 4WD out into extremely remote desert areas in Aug heat in the SW, I hike through rattlesnake territory, I cross rivers, I kayak, I am now around alligators in swamps in Florida, I've hiked into the Columbia River Gorge after an ice storm, I hang around cliffs, climb mountains, and on and on. It has always been par for the course in my life (my dad has been a world-class mountaineer 40 years). Do I advocate it? No. That is completely up to the individual. We all have to make our own decisions and decide what level of risks we are willing to take to do what we do...

dbehrens wrote:
Simple yet powerful! I love everything about this pic. I expect this took many tries just to keep the tripod still for a 1-2 sec exposure. Dave

Hi Dave! I hope you are having a great holiday season! Happy New Year to you as well!

About 30 or so attempts. The tough part about this was the tide was coming in and there is nowhere to go if a rogue wave came in. I got in and got out without taking too much chance.

Dec 28, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Farewell at Rialto

Awesome, Mark. Great work!

Dec 30, 2017 at 03:22 AM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Farewell at Rialto

Congrats !!

Dec 30, 2017 at 03:40 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Farewell at Rialto

Oh wow! Another Thread of the Week!!! Wow, I am totally humbled, especially in the light of the awesome work posted here constantly. Thank you, everyone, very much! I am so thankful to have been able to have quality time here before its fall...

Dec 30, 2017 at 04:47 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Farewell at Rialto

Nori wrote:
Beautiful image Mark, another wall hanger. Do you have any space left on your wall ?

Thank you so much. I just made a few huge images, so not really...

Jan 05, 2018 at 01:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password