New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Another Canon to Fuji story

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Canon to Fuji story

Been with Canon for years, right from the 10D, 20D, 40D, 7D, 5D then 5D3. Mainly weddings and some commercial work. Just did a job today photographing a Tiny Home., interior and exterior. Always used to use the 5D3 with the 17-40 lens as a wide angle is needed for such a small interior. Today I used the Fuji XT-1 with the Rokinon 12MM f/2 lens (manual focus). I have been dabbling with Fuji for quite a while and I especially like the jpgs from the camera, even for weddings the images look great.
I don't use flash for interiors, there is usually plenty of light coming in through skylights and windows and I like the natural look.
A couple of major advantages of the mirrorless Fuji with this type of work.
1. You get to see the exposure as it will appear in the final photo before you take it. You can adjust to suit with the easy to use exp compensation dial.
2. Manual focus with the Fuji works very well with focus assist and highlights outlined in red
3. The tilt screen is a great advantage as you can use it to compose without having to bring the camera up to your eye.

I am just going through the results now and I would say the photos in Lightroom look just as good as Canon results , probably better, colours look great. I will be looking at getting an XT-2 in the near future as well as some more lenses.
At the moment I have the 35 1.4, 55-200, Rokinon 12mm and the 18-55 kit lens.

I would have no hesitation now in switching to Fuji fulltime.I Hope this helps anyone still thinking about switching. i will post some examples shortly.

Dec 20, 2017 at 03:39 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Canon to Fuji story

Welcome to the darkside Mark. You're finding out what a bunch of us did. I came from a Nikon FF system and never looked back.

Dec 20, 2017 at 06:06 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Canon to Fuji story

Best of luck on your migration to Fuji! It looks like it will be a good fit for your type of photography.

I was a full time professional commercial photographer back in the film days, shooting mostly medium format with some 35mm for color publication and 4x5 for architectural and product photography. Since I was in a medium sized market, I also did weddings and portraits, mainly Senior portraits.

After getting my X-E3 after shooting Canon 5D2 for years, I have wondered if I could make a business case for shooting Fuji if I was still a professional photographer. I decided the answer is a qualified yes.

I shot weddings in the day you had to use flash, though I extensively used OCF. I would love the freedom afforded by digital. It would allow a more intimate approach that I would have preferred. I have been interested in the work of Jeff Ascough, especially when he was shooting with Leica film cameras. I think I'd shoot weddings with the X-Pro2 and X-E3 (and possibly even the X100F) to be unobtrusive. I also recently stumbled across a video of David Stanbury's work using the GF-X 50s, which is more in the traditional style I shot. I'm thinking the best of both worlds would be to do formals with the GF-X50s and the "little" Fuji's for the candid work.

The only place I think I'd need another camera would be if I did extensive architectural photos where a tilt shift lens would be needed.

Dec 20, 2017 at 09:52 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Canon to Fuji story

Try the 10-24, I use it for most architectural travel stuff.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:34 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another Canon to Fuji story

I have a somewhat different take on this issue, though it is positive for Fujifilm, too.

I have also used Canon DSLRs for quite some time — since my move to digital SLR cameras in about 2003. (I actually used digital cameras as early as the 1990s, but my "serious" photography was all done with film until the 2003 switch.)

I began using Fujifilm cameras a bit more than five years ago. I began with a sort of experiment — getting the XE1 and the 35mm f/1.4 lens to try it out, being pleased with the results, and soon augmenting that setup with the 14mm f/2.8 and the 55-200mm zoom. I also had access to the 60mm f/2.4 macro and the variable aperture 18-55mm lens.

Because my goal was not to replace my Canon gear but augment it, I kept my Canon equipment. For me the Fujifilm gear was targeted at my travel and street photography for the most part, where I found its small size and weight plus good image quality to be ideal. However, for my landscape photography, wildlife photography, and a few other things, the Canon solutions were still better for me, so I have used the two systems side by side — or perhaps the term might be "in concert" with one another.

Recently I did acquire the 50-140mm and 16-55mm zooms, and I used them in place of my Canon equipment for some limited landscape photography, on a backpack trip on which I wanted to reduce weight/bulk. I was pleased with the results... but they are still not as good as what I get from the Canon 5DsR from that sort of subject.

So, I'm a big fan of both systems and of using each in situations where its strengths are most evident.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:32 PM
SergeyT
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another Canon to Fuji story

>> A couple of major advantages of the mirrorless Fuji with this type of work...
None of these are Fuji specific.
The same set of features is available in mirorless from other brands, Canon included.

>> I am just going through the results now and I would say the photos in Lightroom look just as good as Canon results
"Canon results" are obtained by definition with a Canon mirorless as well

SergeyT

Dec 20, 2017 at 01:31 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another Canon to Fuji story

I started with Canon way back in 1982, and still have my AE-1. My 3 yr old Fuji XE-1 is my main camera along with a bunch of mf glass (mostly fd mount w/the fuji adapter) I still have my 6D and Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC lens for portraits. The Fuji reminds me of the rangefinder days with the mechanical dials and manual aperture settings. I keep an x100 in my car for 'unexpected opportunities'

Dec 20, 2017 at 01:36 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another Canon to Fuji story

Glad you like the setup. Of all the cameras I've owned, Fuji always gave me the best color jpgs or great raw starting points. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say my old XE1 jpegs are actually better than what I was getting from my XT2, though XT2 is also very good too.

I've since moved back to Nikon FF but I miss the Fuji colors, which are sometimes hard to replicate.

Dec 20, 2017 at 06:26 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another Canon to Fuji story

jgoetz4 wrote:
I started with Canon way back in 1982, and still have my AE-1. My 3 yr old Fuji XE-1 is my main camera along with a bunch of mf glass (mostly fd mount w/the fuji adapter) I still have my 6D and Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC lens for portraits. The Fuji reminds me of the rangefinder days with the mechanical dials and manual aperture settings. I keep an x100 in my car for 'unexpected opportunities'

The old school interface is one of the things I like about a number of the Fujifilm cameras. I've shot the X100F and my main camera is the XPro2. Both of these feel very familiar to those of us brought up on cameras with manual controls.

My "unexpected opportunities" camera (also good for expected apportunities when I do street photography) in now my XPro2 with the 27mm f/2.8 lens.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another Canon to Fuji story

I still use my Nikon gear for telephoto photography, but my Fuji gear for the other. I'm now hooked on Fuji!

Dec 24, 2017 at 09:52 PM
JD5150
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another Canon to Fuji story

I still own my Canon gear and use my Fuji for other things. It's a great system and I love using it! I just realized its a system to augment my current gear with.

-JD

Dec 25, 2017 at 04:44 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another Canon to Fuji story

The Fuji X-T2 is a great little camera, but I found it lacking in some areas compared to Canon, especially in the low-light AF department.

I love my Fuji GFX, though!

Edited on Jan 22, 2018 at 01:02 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:42 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another Canon to Fuji story

Canon A1, F1, 630, 20D, 5DII, 1DIII and now a 1DXII. My 100T really bit into my 5DII usage at the time. It really just came down to that I would take the 100T, which I can pocket, when I would have left the 5DII at home or regretted taking it for the weight and bulk. The 35mm eq lens is good for 80% of shots, but I’d still use the 5DII/1DIII for flash, landscape and sports.

The 1DXII has brought me back into shooting Canon more. The lowlight capabilities, the AF and the viewfinder really are sweet. The x100t struggles when the light gets low and you need to crop. F2 and a 16mp APSC can only get you so far.

If the X100 series had a scale focus lens instead of the focus-by-wire I’d be in a lot more. A monochrom version would be interesting. A portrait version with a 56/1.2 with the sensor in portrait orientation would be really interesting.

Right now I’m waiting to see what a Xpro3 or X100Fifth would look like, especially compared to used Leica Ms.

Dec 27, 2017 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.