New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Big Island volcano & timing

G-Four

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Big Island volcano & timing

I was at the lava flows two nights ago and am going back to night. There was a river of lava down the side of the hills and plenty of surface flow. Search for Lava viewing area on google maps. The parking lot opens at 3p and you can rent a bike ($10 and up) and ride 4 miles to the viewing area. Then hike for about an hour ( about 2 miles) over the lava field to the flows. Bring plenty of water because it is hot by the lava. Also some food and a good light for the hike & bike back. It was slightly down hill on the way back so that part was an easy ride. There are tours that will also take you but you can just follow the line of people to the flows or see where the helicopters are. On the ground you could walk up and touch the lava if you were dumb enough to do it. Check with the visitor center for the most up to date info.

Dec 29, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Big Island volcano & timing

Contact Bruce at [email protected]
Tell him I sent you. He can arrange the best lava view via paradise helicopters.

Dec 29, 2017 at 09:51 PM
G-Four

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Big Island volcano & timing

Helo vs Hike are going to be two completely different experiences. I'm glad i did the hike because there is nothing like standing by the lava and feeling the heat on your face. A couple of updates from my prior post. Everything says the parking lot for the lava viewing area opens at 3p but i showed up at 2p and rented a bike and went. If you go earlier like i did it may take a little longer to find the flows since there are fewer people on the flow looking for the lava. Big flow equals lot of people. From the lava viewing area you can rent a bike and ride 4 miles. Or hire a shuttle that will take you 3 1/5 miles and walk road 1/2 mile down the road to enter lava field. Then hike an hour over the lave field to a flow. A guild in not necessarily a better option. I met up with a group hoping a basket ball size blob would start to flow before they ran out of time and had to head back while a huge flow was going 100 yards away. It hot on the lava field, I went through 4 20 oz bottles of Gatorade for my 5 hours out. I took 100-400, 24-70 and tri-pod for when it got dark. About 2/3 of the of the shots were on the 24-70 but was glad i bought 100 - 400. Its hard to shoot one it get real dark because the flows are so bright compared to everything else and all the head lights and flash on the flows.
http://photos.smugmug.com/Hawaii/i-nLzfXh9/0/ae86c70f/XL/171229-643-XL.jpg

Dec 30, 2017 at 03:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.