New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

I've been friends with Suzy for over 4 years now. When our kids were 2 years old, we decided to do a photo shoot with them together. Their first shoot was a cowboy themed shoot - they were SO cute together and instant friends! You can see those HERE. We've shot them together several times since, and they are inseparable when we're together. Suzy and her family came and spent a week with us this past summer at our Montana cabin. We have always talked about doing a mock 'wedding' with the 2 of them, and this was the perfect opportunity! We spent hours online scouring the internet for the perfect (and not too far away) abandoned church on a prairie to set the scene. It was SUCH a fun day, and a small miracle we actually found this place. I think what makes these work for me is that these 2 really do love each other. You can see it in the way they look at each other, so sweet!

They even had a honeymoon on the lake...

Dec 17, 2017 at 09:07 PM
brick33308
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

so well done, I couldn't begin to pick a favorite!

Dec 17, 2017 at 09:59 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

The set tells a love story.
Well done.

Dec 18, 2017 at 02:35 AM
egd5
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Beautiful images as always. Maybe my age showing, but I too am just a little uneasy about the kissing shots. Although the kiss on the nose is very cute.

Dec 18, 2017 at 02:37 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

From a creative and technical point of view, these are more than magical!
From a social, humanistic point of view, I think the idea of a mock wedding is hysterical. I was laughing too hard... until I saw the kissing ones. That threw my nerve like some of the other commentators here.

Dec 18, 2017 at 04:27 AM
bwalwork
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Imaginative set of images, executed with the virtual perfection I've come to expect from you.

Love it!

Dec 18, 2017 at 05:15 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Hey now, they were kissing all on their own. I said these 2 loved each other. It is sweet and innocent, they are just kids. It's all good!

Dec 18, 2017 at 06:45 AM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

My first thought was: "Lisa Holloway doing a wedding? What would THAT look like!"

I'm surprised that I was surprised!

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:07 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Too cute ... and perfectly done as usual.

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:22 AM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Whoa... Great set as always! Such an amazing location.

Dec 19, 2017 at 06:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Love this set. Such a fun idea. You always nail the location. No one else can find an abandon Church in a field of gold basked in golden light like you can.

Dec 19, 2017 at 07:30 PM
keepclicking
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Lisa, as usual your lighting and post processing is amazing! Happy holidays

Dec 20, 2017 at 02:27 PM
unholycow

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Long time listener, first time caller.

The color in 13 is great, the composition is off. The church "feels" odd. Subject placement relative to the window doesn't work. It has signpost growing out head vibe to it. Placing the subjects closer to the camera and at the bottom left where there is just horizon and an implied path to the door would have made a stronger composition.

Tastefully executed flash could have improved the monochrome shots. Like 11, what are they looking at? Blown out sky can be useful when the background is irrelevant but I think it detracts in this case. Back of head shots have no impact if you can't see what the subject sees. The church appears to be surrounded by beautiful countryside which could be good metaphor for the expansive, joyful, future to come. It's unfortunate that it was lost in this picture.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no way the moon in 14 would appear that large at 85mm. The scale looks unusual. Maybe I've seen too many landscapes with unrealistic composited moons and that's all my tiny primate brain sees these days.

The airborne debris detracts from 16 & 17 which are otherwise cute shots.

This is the second or third time I've seen the kid wedding theme posted in the last couple of weeks. I think there are better ways to convey childhood friendships. Kids smooching is weird. I can see some folks being uncomfortable with it.

I like Lisa's work. Some really great stuff in her portfolio. This set is, in my unsolicited opinion, not as strong as the Shirley Temple and James Dean series which captured a similar sentiment in a more upbeat and approachable way.

Dec 21, 2017 at 01:57 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

cute kids - great set

Dec 22, 2017 at 02:35 PM
VickiB
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Lisa, I always enjoy the profound beauty of your photography, especially of your large family. However, for me, this is your most wonderful post. I did not find it hilarious, and I certainly was not disturbed by the children's kisses. (I did, however, predict that sick reaction from the Puritans of 2017.) What I see in this post is a creative, tender, haunting, and memorable set of photos that capture forever a time of innocence in these children's lives.

Dec 25, 2017 at 05:04 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Thank you everyone.

For those crying about the kissing photos, go clutch your pearls and sniff your smelling salts. It'll be ok, I promise.

Dec 25, 2017 at 07:24 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

VickiB wrote:
Lisa, I always enjoy the profound beauty of your photography, especially of your large family. However, for me, this is your most wonderful post. I did not find it hilarious, and I certainly was not disturbed by the children's kisses. (I did, however, predict that sick reaction from the Puritans of 2017.) What I see in this post is a creative, tender, haunting, and memorable set of photos that capture forever a time of innocence in these children's lives.

Thank you SO much Vicki. It makes me so happy to read this. This is how I view these images also.

Dec 25, 2017 at 07:33 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

This whole thing is one of the many reasons why I'm no longer engaged in FM. This is no different than your "helpful critique" with Kristin Small, with the lovely shots of her daughters that won Featured Thread of the Week. The girls had, as I think Kristin put it, loving, warm smiles. But that wasn't good enough for you. They had to show teeth, or they're wrong. Even after Kristin told you how happy she was with them the way they were, and that it would have felt wrong to show teeth, you persisted. And in the end you basically said to her, "listen to me and learn... or not." Oh my god. Are you really the only person who knows right from wrong in photography? Is there only one way to do things, and that's your way?

As for Lisa not "handling" critique from you, do you think it's possible it's because she's actually happy with the image as it is, and your feedback would actually take away from an incredible image? I don't know if you're aware of how many people are impressed with her work? A lot. She has like 126k followers on IG. I'd compare that to yours but I don't think you even have an IG page. Wait a minute. I decided to check, and you do. You have 12 followers, which puts you about 125,988 followers behind Lisa, give or take or a few hundred.

On your IG profile, it provides a link to your website. Out of curiosity, I went there. You have family pictures, too, which is Lisa's specialty. Despite your location being Hawaii and Lisa being in Kingman, AZ -- which trust me, is the middle of nowhere -- it's amazing how her settings look so much more, well, amazing, than yours. One would expect more when Hawaii is in your backyard. So I'm saying that not just to be a d**k, but rather because in looking at your images on your website, I can see how someone of Lisa's caliber would be less inclined to take feedback from you.

People travel from all over the country to come to Lisa for pictures. They hire her and pay her to travel to them. Her fees from a single session are impressively high. She makes more sometimes from one session than I do in an entire month, and I'm really not doing all that bad. There's a reason she's done so well, and that's because she's damned good.

She has 65 Featured Threads of the Week wins. That puts her about 65 ahead of you. Telling Lisa to be humble so she can take c&c from you is honestly laughable. Reverse this a bit and make yourself the humble one, and think about how you would make your comments to Kristin and Lisa, and the many others before them.

The idea that you know better than Kristin how to photograph her own daughters' smiles better than her absolutely floors me.

The idea that you can improve one of Lisa's images also floors me. There are a lot of photographers at all levels who have paid for Lisa's tutorials. I don't really see anyone lining up outside your door, although you do like to tell us that people come to you for mentoring. Do you also notice that Lisa doesn't even bother mentioning how many people have paid her for those services?

When's the last time an MLB perennial All-Star (MVP of his league) paid you to travel to their house for family pictures?

So you getting all blown out of shape over her not taking your critique like a grownup is really something else. It's provided some laughter behind the scenes, to be honest. Lisa has been extremely cordial in responding to you all this time.

And for the record, Lisa has taken a lot of good meaningful, helpful critiques and applied them over the years. She does it when people actually make the effort to critique the images with Lisa's style in mind, not their own.

One last thing about the kiss between those kids. I totally get it that there are going to be some people who just think that the kids are going to be scarred for life because they innocently kissed in these pictures. It's probably a good thing that LIsa didn't go with a "doctor and nurse" concept or something like that, because you know how kids are. The horror of what may have happened with that concept! (As it's never happened before with children playing by themselves far outside the safe reach of a photoshoot with their parents standing right there watching.)

The kids are going to be okay. They may even kiss again next year. Or not.

So there you go, Greg. You can have the last word now, as you tend to be pretty good with that. You don't have to worry about us using the "Hide Me" feature, as your responses tend to be amusing for us. And oh my gosh, does that mean your respect for me has also vanished? I'm actually trying to help you, trying to help you be more self-aware, trying to help you understand that you don't know the only right way to do things, especially when a mother is taking pictures of her kids, let it be Kristin or Lisa or anyone else. There are other right ways of doing things, many of them. Some we haven't even thought of yet. Some that almost everyone will hate but a few people will cherish. But all that doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter that you've been on FM for 15 years so that must mean you know more than anyone else.

All that matters is that the person who took the picture and edited it, is completely satisfied with the result. And then if the client likes it, that's an added bonus.

What the rest of us think doesn't really matter all that much.

Dec 26, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

friscoron wrote:
This whole thing is one of the many reasons why I'm no longer engaged in FM. This is no different than your "helpful critique" with Kristin Small, with the lovely shots of her daughters that won Featured Thread of the Week. The girls had, as I think Kristin put it, loving, warm smiles. But that wasn't good enough for you. They had to show teeth, or they're wrong. Even after Kristin told you how happy she was with them the way they were, and that it would have felt wrong to show teeth, you persisted. And in the end you
...Show more

Thank you SO much, Ron. I saw the comments on Kristin's post and was cringing as well. THANK YOU for saying this. All of it. So appreciated.

Dec 26, 2017 at 05:39 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Elliott & Mia's Wedding

Wow... epitome of a fanboy of Lisa's... she is lucky to have you

I never said her work wasn't nice - in fact I always complimented her in addition to giving my honest feedback on her images, as I did for Kristin's lovely images.

I merely suggested that she had the option to take my suggestions, or not (free country, remember?)

If I remember correctly, Ron, you "called me out" and asked me to post images, which I did and got tremendous positive response, except from you... you were silent from what I remember.

I also *refuse* to be active on FB and IG (bit of a anti-social media person if that makes sense). Don't even remember when or why I even set those up, but those sites as well as my website haven't been updated in many years - been way too busy with weddings to have to worry about that (thankfully).

So, don't want to create any more animosity for sure, so feel free to respond, certainly don't want or need to have the last word...but I find it reassuring that when I post thoughtful C&C about Lisa's work, I *always* get a flood of PMs thanking me for being one voice of reason.

And Lisa... I noticed that you posted (in all CAPS) that you don't want C&C on your images (which is totally fine). But did you know that it stands for "Comments and Critiques"? So I hope you also scold those who who give you praise as well. Just food for thought.

Done with this thread.

Have a lovely new year.

Greg

Dec 26, 2017 at 07:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password