New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

I used this combination via the MB IV (default mode, which is not green, AFAIK). Here are a few pictures with the 1.4x TC III and the 2x TC III. My experience is that the 2x TC degrades sharpness & AF speed perceptibly. In fact AF hunts around quite a bit. I'd use that combo only in a pinch.

With the 1.4x TC.
DSC06099 by glasseeye

Another shot in the Pelican landing series
DSC06101 by glasseeye

Pelicans are slower moving birds, so easier to do BIFs with. I've had less desirable results with fast-moving BIFs.

A rare sighting of a bald eagle in the San Francisco Bay Area (with the 1.4x TC and cropped a bit)
DSC06023 by glasseeye

With the 2x TC, one of the better shots
DSC05982 by glasseeye

Greater roadrunner with the 2x TC
DSC05890 by glasseeye

California quail with the 2x TC and cropped
DSC05906 by glasseeye

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:34 PM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

Really nice shots but the bokeh in 1st and last reminds me of my Sony reflex. I guess that is part of the Fresnel lens?

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:38 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

Very nice. The RR is very sharp with great detail. That shows that the lens plus 2X is capable of great sharpness, so something else is causing poor results ~ Ron

Dec 17, 2017 at 06:44 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

Yes, excellent and sharp images using that combo. I do have that lens, too but I haven't used it much lately. That lens is a relatively lightweight and compact lens and yet, the optical performance is superb. My experience is, even using a 2X TC, it still performs.

The problem with the A7r II, at least from my experience, the AF tracking capability is not that good. If you get the target locked on in focus and when it moves or takes off, only the first, maximum the first two images are in focus, the subsequent images are OOF. We are talking about the bare lens and not in combo with any TC.

Dec 17, 2017 at 07:34 PM
bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

surfnron wrote:
Very nice. The RR is very sharp with great detail. That shows that the lens plus 2X is capable of great sharpness, so something else is causing poor results ~ Ron

Good point. I should try it out more extensively: use the green mode on the MB, take a closer look at my technique, etc.

However, as Joshua says, tracking isn't great. I should try this combination on the A6500 more extensively and see if it's any better. I really don't want to shell out money for the 3rd generation bodies (and I'm including the A9 in that category).

Dec 17, 2017 at 08:36 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7RII with the Canon 400mm DO II

The A9 is reputed to have Sony’s best AF. It is pricey but then the 400 MM DO MKII is even more so.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.