FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

mjm6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

I noticed something in the specifications of the Canon TCs that I wanted to get some understanding about...

It appears that there is specific communication between the Canon TCs and the Canon super telephoto lenses to adjust the focus speed to obtain higher number of keepers, and also (maybe) to help the lens know what is happening for the sake of OSS. Additionally, I guess this also then causes the lens to report a different focal length to the camera for metadata.

So, I'm wondering if the use of a Sony TC with the Canon lens appears to have any negative impact on the number of keepers and if the camera IBIS and the lens OSS appear to be working correctly without the benefit of the communication that the Canon TCs do with the lenses.

From what Joshua says just above, it sounds like there is no negative impact, and I think he said earlier in the thread that he noticed that the Sony TCs cause a faster focus, which should result in better/more keepers as long as the lens doesn't overshoot.

Thanks,

---Michael

Jan 04, 2018 at 10:01 PM
ytwong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

I wish someone would try shooting wildlife with A6500 as it looks quite good on paper... 11fps, a little more "reach" with 24MP APSC, even more PDAF points than A7R3 (although less sensitive) and is relatively inexpensive for those who don't shoot wildlife seriously or often. I keep thinking about getting one as 2nd/backup/timelapse.

Jan 05, 2018 at 03:57 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

mjm6 wrote:
I noticed something in the specifications of the Canon TCs that I wanted to get some understanding about...

It appears that there is specific communication between the Canon TCs and the Canon super telephoto lenses to adjust the focus speed to obtain higher number of keepers, and also (maybe) to help the lens know what is happening for the sake of OSS. Additionally, I guess this also then causes the lens to report a different focal length to the camera for metadata.

So, I'm wondering if the use of a Sony TC with the Canon lens appears to have any negative impact
...Show more

Hi Michael,
I remembered that Canon did stress that the new Mark III, reletive to the Mark II, would improve the electronic communication with the main lens to ensure a smoother signal transfer or something to the effect. But who knows how much this materializes under real life shooting conditions. Furthermore, the adapter, Metabones V in my case, plays a very significant role in this signal transmission. And who knows what effect it would play in the equation here. Based on my experience under real life shooting conditions, I did not notice any difference in using a Canon 2X TC in the front of the Metabones and the combination of both Canon and Sony TCs with Metabones in between to get approximately the same reach/focal length. Again, I didnít do any scientific test here but the impression I got is the AF speed and image quality between the two are similar. The same goes for the image stabilization aspect. But, like I mentioned several times, I always use a camera/lens support, either tripod or monopod.

I do not believe nor remember mentioning that the Sony TCs would AF faster. The reason I like the combo of two 1.4X TCs, one Canon and one Sony, is the flexibility of either doubling the focal length when both are used or just an increase of 1.4X of the focal length if one is used.

I hope this helps clarify this aspect and thank you,
Joshua

Jan 05, 2018 at 04:57 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

ytwong wrote:
I wish someone would try shooting wildlife with A6500 as it looks quite good on paper... 11fps, a little more "reach" with 24MP APSC, even more PDAF points than A7R3 (although less sensitive) and is relatively inexpensive for those who don't shoot wildlife seriously or often. I keep thinking about getting one as 2nd/backup/timelapse.

I think lots of people have. I have the a7rii, the a6300, and the 1.4x. I think the higher pixel density output of the crop body is better than the 1.4x on full frame, and the newer AF of the a6300 is materially better than the a7rii's. I just got the a7riii. I haven't compared it's AF with the a6300. I expect it's at least as good. If the a7riii's AF is actually better than the a6300, then it may be a harder choice -- best AF (plus usability improvements) vs higher pixel density -- but if their AFs are similar, I'll continue to prefer the crop body for wildlife in most cases.

Jan 05, 2018 at 05:55 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

Thanks Joshua... I've read that somewhere, and thought it was you saying that the Sony TCs seem to permit faster focusing than the Canon TCs.

Jan 05, 2018 at 08:32 PM
tn1krr
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

This thread had me interested in looking into shooting some wildlife photography too so I picket up a GM 100-400 + 1.4x TC to go with my A7RIII. Thanks all for making me spend money by posting all those stellar shots.

It is darkest time of year here with very short days, not much color or light, but I'm trying to learn some basics locally and look into a bit of travel later. Due to lack of light one needs to push shutter speeds so Birds in the Branch only.

A few things I figured to be useful for this type of shooting. The "AF with focus magnification" seems quite helpful for avoiding focusing on branches in messy areas instead of target and timing the shot when one is shooting frames that are gonna be cropped quite much. Silent shutter is ok and kind of gives more confidence to stabilization, specially when shooting burst.

Took the 1st test shots in forest near our office. My embedding skills are less than impressive so here's a link too.

"Black bird"

Edited on Jan 11, 2018 at 03:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LBJ2
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

tn1krr wrote:
This thread had me interested in looking into shooting some wildlife photography too so I picket up a GM 100-400 + 1.4x TC to go with my A7RIII. Thanks all for making me spend money by posting all those stellar shots.

It is darkest time of year here with very short days, not much color or light, but I'm trying to learn some basics locally and look into a bit of travel later. Due to lack of light one needs to push shutter speeds so Birds in the Branch only.

A few things I figured to be useful for this
...Show more

Welcome to the GM 100-400 + 1.4x TC club! Whatever you do don't try the A9 with this kit. Chasing birds at 20FPS Silent will ruin your budget and expectations for any other camera

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:17 AM
tn1krr
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

LBJ2 wrote:
Welcome to the GM 100-400 + 1.4x TC club! Whatever you do don't try the A9 with this kit. Chasing birds at 20FPS Silent will ruin your budget and expectations for any other camera

Thanks, I think I'm safe from A9 cravings for a while, at least until I get to try and start start learning BiF towards spring/summer. Although one can get used/demo A9 here for just a few hundred Eur more than an A7RIII and I currently do not have 2nd or backup camera body

Edited on Jan 10, 2018 at 03:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:30 AM
LBJ2
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

tn1krr wrote:
Thanks, I think I'm safe from A9 cravings for a while, at least until I get to try and start start learning BiF towards spring/summer. Although one can get used/demo A9 here for just a few hundred Eur more than an A7RIII and I current do not have 2nd or backup camera body

I think you will really enjoy your new endeavor. Even after some years now, I always find capturing the natural beauty and behavior of birds not only mesmerizing but also addictive. Great excercise too! I am finding the lightweight nature of the A7r3/A9 + GM 100-400 + 1.4xTC kit makes for great portability too, a true get-up and go birding kit. The IQ capabilities of this kit are just icing on the cake. Looking forward to seeing more from your adventures.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:01 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

I just created a thread in the nature/wildlife section, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1526099
, for anyone that would like to see what an A7Riii can do.

Kim

Jan 10, 2018 at 07:56 PM
fpoet
• •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Wildlife photography using Sony E-mount system - Part II

tn1krr wrote:

A few things I figured to be useful for this
...Show more

Pretty good detail on the birdís head and eye, well done!

I must admit I am not too keen on TCs, but I might try the 1.4x after all.

Jan 11, 2018 at 03:02 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password