New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

This is a sequential crop into a single 5DsR file that spans 100% to an approximate 2:1 magnification. I don't think people shooting at around 25 megapixels with an AA filter realize how fun using a 5DsR can be.

Anyone else want to join me and post some sequential images like this?

© highdesertmesa 2017

© highdesertmesa 2017

© highdesertmesa 2017

© highdesertmesa 2017

© highdesertmesa 2017

Screenshot illustrating how far in the last image was cropped

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:07 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

A 24MP APS-C has a higher pixel density, about the same density that a 61.4MP FF body would have. I'm not sure why they still have a AA filter.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:15 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

wow... impressive, but SO much grain / noise.. way more than I would expect from that camera at 640 ISO

greg

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:39 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

I agree with Greg. That looks more like ISO3200 on a 5DS. It also looks massively oversharpened. I wonder what was used to process the images.

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:09 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Increasing the masking level in the raw conversion, using a bit less sharpening, and possibly increasing detail a bit could help with that noise, though in the end you'll see some noise when you look at such images at 100%

Of course, that noise will be entirely invisible in even a rather large print.

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:57 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Peter Figen wrote:
I agree with Greg. That looks more like ISO3200 on a 5DS. It also looks massively oversharpened. I wonder what was used to process the images.

You guys would have hated high ISO film

Default “landscape” profile. I don’t remember adding but maybe +5 sharpening over the default (based on 1:1 viewing). The last shot is 2:1 magnification, which is unfair to anything but perhaps medium format. I didn’t add any noise reduction at all, mostly since any print I’m going to make isn’t going to be large enough to need it. Your AA filter on the 5Ds might be masking some of the noise, and any camera with one looks like mush at 2:1.

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:00 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

gheller wrote:
wow... impressive, but SO much grain / noise.. way more than I would expect from that camera at 640 ISO

greg

It’s not exactly a state of the art sensor any more

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Glad you are so excited. My 20-24 meg cameras serve me very well. I have no need for more.

Can't see a reason why I ever will

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:30 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

gdanmitchell wrote:
Increasing the masking level in the raw conversion, using a bit less sharpening, and possibly increasing detail a bit could help with that noise, though in the end you'll see some noise when you look at such images at 100%

Of course, that noise will be entirely invisible in even a rather large print.

I’ll try those tips. I also just realized I exported these with “Sharpen for Screen” in the Lightroom export dialog box. That’s my default for Instagram, and I forgot to change it.

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:31 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

dhphoto wrote:
Glad you are so excited. My 20-24 meg cameras serve me very well. I have no need for more.

Can't see a reason why I ever will

Glad you’re so exited about 24 megapixels

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:33 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Also there may or may not have been some tequila involved in the processing of these photos

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:02 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

"You guys would have hated high ISO film"

On almost every job I shot for Mackie mixing boards back in the day, I shot both Ektachrome E100 and Agfa 1000, specifically for the grain, and still shoot Tri-X today. Plus a LOT of High Speed Ektachrome pushed to ISO 1600 and 3200. So, yeah, I guess I really did hate high ISO film

"Default “landscape” profile. I don’t remember adding but maybe +5 sharpening over the default (based on 1:1 viewing). The last shot is 2:1 magnification, which is unfair to anything but perhaps medium format. I didn’t add any noise reduction at all, mostly since any print I’m going to make isn’t going to be large enough to need it. Your AA filter on the 5Ds might be masking some of the noise, and any camera with one looks like mush at 2:1."

It sounds like you're using Canon's DPP software to process your images. Too many think that because it's Canon's own software that it must me better, but it's simply not. Even Adobe's software is better but not nearly as good as either Capture One or Iridient Developer for pulling the most detail with the least amount of visible noise. I have a 5DSR and often shoot it at 400-800 and never see anything like what you're posting in terms of what I commented on, hence the reason for my comment. What you posted looked a lot like the reticulation we used to see in improperly developed film. Maybe post a link to the raw file so people can post their own results in their favorite applications.

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:07 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

highdesertmesa wrote:
It’s not exactly a state of the art sensor any more

So, the noise on this sensor has gotten worse as newer sensors were introduced? ;-)

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:12 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

highdesertmesa wrote:
Glad you’re so exited about 24 megapixels

I'm still excited after all these years just to be using digital instead of film for my profession. It has made the last years SO much easier. Without digital I would have retired years ago.

I'm sure there are multiple circumstances where having a 50 meg dslr is just wonderful, my particular field of work just doesn't benefit, I just don't earn more money and I rarely shoot for fun. I'm glad your does.

Edited on Dec 16, 2017 at 02:41 PM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:41 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

gdanmitchell wrote:
So, the noise on this sensor has gotten worse as newer sensors were introduced? ;-)

In the same way that film grain has gotten worse

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:41 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

dhphoto wrote:
I'm still excited after all these years just to be using digital instead of film for my profession. It has made the last years SO much easier. Without digital I would have retired years ago.

I'm sure there are multiple circumstances where having a 50 meg dslr is just wonderful, my particular field of work just doesn't benefit, I just don't earn more money and I rarely shoot for fun. I'm glad your does.

I make all of zero dollars from my photography. Well, technically I think I’ve made $75 or so from my much-more-expensive-than-$75 Smugmug site. I do enjoy 50 megapixels for the experience of viewing them at 1:1, and I also enjoy being able to crop more freely. Honestly, if Canon made the 5D Mk IV without an AA filter, I would have bought that instead.

I agree about being excited about digital in general. About 20 or so years ago, I did weddings and portraits with 35mm, 645, and 6x7 film. And while I do miss the analog experience, digital really is nice to be using.

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

highdesertmesa - the 5DS(R) sensors were designed for low ISO performance. They are still very competitive in that realm. The noise that's shown here is not what I normally see in the ISO range you're presenting here. While I have shot that camera up to 3200, I typically would switch to a 5D4 for anything above ISO1600.

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:54 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Wow--that's a insane cropping and amazing quality! Thanks for the post.

Dec 16, 2017 at 03:08 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Peter Figen wrote:
highdesertmesa - the 5DS(R) sensors were designed for low ISO performance. They are still very competitive in that realm. The noise that's shown here is not what I normally see in the ISO range you're presenting here. While I have shot that camera up to 3200, I typically would switch to a 5D4 for anything above ISO1600.

I don’t know what to say - perhaps the over-sharpening brought out the grain, or perhaps you haven’t seen many 5DsR images zoomed in this far without having some noise reduction applied in Lightroom to the RAW (this image wouldn’t even have the standard noise reduction the SOOC JPEGs get). Personally I don’t mind it - reminds me of film grain (except on the last one at 2:1, where it looks ugly).

In the sober light of day, I do think there’s more sharpening on these than I realized. I’m out of town until late tonight, but when I get back, I’m going to try reprocessing the file with a little more finesse.

Dec 16, 2017 at 03:12 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Let's put 50.6 megapixels into perspective

Peter Figen wrote:
...I typically would switch to a 5D4 for anything above ISO1600.

I did shoot this with my GFX and GF 120 Macro, too - I’ll post it later. Given that I use Canon exclusively for the 100-400 II and usually shoot at sunrise/sunset, I probably should own the Mk IV instead - but I hate the AA filter (mush at 1:1 bothers me, even if it prints nicely). Honestly I like some grain in my images, and as far as grain goes, the 5DsR grain is quite nice and film-like.

Dec 16, 2017 at 03:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.