Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

sammichmaster

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

Iím looking to sell my canon gear and make the conversion to Fuji. In my research I discovered the new Fuji IBIS body releasing in February? maybe? Do you think there will be a price drop on the X-T2 when this happens? I really want a new camera before my sisterís wedding in January but Iím afraid if I wait a couple months Iíll save a good chunk of change. Thoughts?

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM
gaopa
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

While I don't know about upcoming rumored Fuji cameras, I do know a little bit about my X-T2. I started my Fuji experience with an X-T1 and then moved to an X-T2.

I have been a Nikon shooter forever and have only been shooting Fuji cameras ( in addition to my Nikons ) for the past 10 months. My X-T2 has the fantastic "kit" 18-55 lens and I could not be happier with that camera/ lens. Will prices drop in the coming weeks, who knows. Long after the price is forgotten, the good images and joy of use of the X-T2 will remain.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:32 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

^^ Another X-T2 shooter who feels the same way.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM
nalax

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

The X-H1 is not a replacement for the X-T2 and is rumored to be priced higher than the X-T2 is now. If you are unsure, try renting the camera to see if you like it.

Dec 16, 2017 at 04:24 AM
liggy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

My crystal ball is very cloudy.

Purely speculation on my part but Iím guessing the new IBIS XT camera will be optimized for video, not stills and wonít impact the X-T2 prices all that much.

Iím totally biased because I think the X-T2 is nearly perfect as it stands now though...

Dec 16, 2017 at 05:11 AM
mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

The X-T2 is on sale now. It would be nice for you to have the camera for a while before a wedding. It's just a guess but I think the price may actually go up a notch after the sale (I think beginning January). I don't think an X-H1 will affect this initially as it will be priced higher if rumored specs hold true.

Dec 16, 2017 at 05:44 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

I'd consider the XH-1, not for video, but simply for the IBIS. It would make my 90 f2 a much more versatile lens indoors!

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:30 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

you only see the price of XT2 dumping at crazy rate at FM.

Dec 16, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

liggy wrote:

Try....

Dec 16, 2017 at 04:29 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

Itís a given that the price will drop with time. An event like the release of the X-H1 will inevitably cause alot of people to move to that platform, which will greatly increase the number of X-T2:s for sale on the used market. Supply and demand dictates that the price of the older camera will be pushed down. Alot.

You could get a cheap lightly used X-T1 now, and then upgrade to the X-T2 when the price is right. You could also buy an X-Pro1 for pocket change to try out Fuji without the need to sell your current gear. The X-Pro1 is a superb camera, much better now due to firmware upgrades than it was when it was released.

Dec 16, 2017 at 05:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

briantho wrote:
Itís a given that the price will drop with time. An event like the release of the X-H1 will inevitably cause alot of people to move to that platform, which will greatly increase the number of X-T2:s for sale on the used market. Supply and demand dictates that the price of the older camera will be pushed down. Alot.

You could get a cheap lightly used X-T1 now, and then upgrade to the X-T2 when the price is right. You could also buy an X-Pro1 for pocket change to try out Fuji without the need to sell your current gear. The
...Show more

Good points. As you point out, each product has a life cycle and a "price cycle," and will inevitably become less expensive (usually by way of sales) after it has been out for a while and as newer products are introduced.

You also suggest, perhaps inadvertently, a good "gut check" for folks trying to find the sweet spot between getting the thing right when it comes out (at list price), later (when sales become more common), or after it is discontinued (when it is often a lot less expensive but no longer state of the art).

A good question for anyone looking at a camera like the XT2 and wondering whether they should wait and buy it when the "next thing" arrives is: Now that the next thing (XT2) has arrived, are you content or not to get the old thing (the XT1)? If you are waiting to buy the XT2 until its successor comes out, why do you think you'll feel different about that?

There are multiple possible answers to that, but it is a good way of thinking forward as one waits to buy something until it is closer to the end of its product life cycle.

Edited on Dec 17, 2017 at 04:02 AM · View previous versions

Dec 16, 2017 at 06:54 PM
sammichmaster

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

Iím already in the process of selling my gear. Iíve been using an aged 7D from 2009 that is no longer doing what I need it to do. Thanks for the points made everyone. I have some thinking to do.

Dec 17, 2017 at 02:53 AM
sammichmaster

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

I ended up purchasing the xt2 with the 18-55 and I couldnt be happier. What a wonderful camera coming from my ancient 7D.

Jan 02, 2018 at 07:10 PM
goldmanaz

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

I did the same thing and had originally had the same thoughts as you. I got a decent deal on a used X-T2 (almost new) and 18-55mm lens. I know the prices will drop as they always do but I rented the camera and I know I really like it. I wrestled with the X-T20 vs X-T2 until I held the X-T20 and realized it was not what I wanted.

Looking forward to getting the camera this week! Enjoy yours as I know I will enjoy mine.

Jan 02, 2018 at 10:54 PM
Lumens1

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

liggy wrote:

Purely speculation on my part but Iím guessing the new IBIS XT camera will be optimized for video, not stills and wonít impact the X-T2 prices all that much.

Iím totally biased because I think the X-T2 is nearly perfect as it stands now though...

Yes, the Crystal Ball is GUESSing, based on industry rumors the "XH" series will be a hybrid camera series with IBIS and a video emphasis for those interested in more videography.

The rumors have it the new XT-3 will be out End of 2018 with no specifications announced at this time. I have to agree the XT-2 is nearly perfect and will be tough to improve, Speculation has it that it will have IBIS and a touch screen. Not to mention the usual new sensor, more mega pixels, faster processor, better focus, etc. and all those other things that come out with a new camera.

It is going to take A LOT to pry my XT-2 from my hands, so far IBIS and touch screen won't do it.

Jan 03, 2018 at 02:45 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

IBIS would be useful for me. I have no stabilized lenses, and mostly shoot manual, non-Fuji lenses. But IBIS alone... not sure.

I would love to see a few interface tweaks. I'm not sure if these could come as firmware upgrades to the X-T2. If they could, I wouldn't need an X-T3! Specifically,
* I would find it so useful if I could assign a focal length to every one of the spaces in the menu for adapted lens focal length, rather than just two. For example, I don't have a 21mm lens, so locking down that space to 21mm wastes it for me.
* People who shoot like me (heavy use of maximum magnification in live view) would really benefit from a higher level of magnification, of better quality. On my Sony A7R I was getting high quality 14x magnification; on my X-T2, it's much lower quality 6x -- because the preview JPEG is so much smaller.

Some of the buttons could work better too. I find the erase and play buttons to be a bit fiddly and unreliable.

Touch screen... meh.

But these are quibbles. The X-T2 is outstanding even with these quibbles. An X-T3 would have to offer something dramatic to get me to sell one of my 2's and replace with a 3.

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:43 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

^^^

I'm also not so enthusiastic about touch screens on cameras. I suppose there is nothing wrong with including them for those who like them, but in most cases I would rather have knobs, buttons, and so forth to make changes.

(I've often wondered about touch screen things like the ability to use the screen to deal with focus points and so forth. With my eye to the viewfinder I can't see the screen to operate these things without taking my eye away!)

Dan

Jan 03, 2018 at 04:47 PM
Fred G. Unn

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

rdeloe wrote:
* People who shoot like me (heavy use of maximum magnification in live view) would really benefit from a higher level of magnification, of better quality. On my Sony A7R I was getting high quality 14x magnification; on my X-T2, it's much lower quality 6x -- because the preview JPEG is so much smaller.

Perhaps you are already aware of this, but if you shoot FINE+RAW then the X-T2 will use the high quality JPEG when you zoom in, not the crummy RAW preview. If you have it set up so RAW and JPEG are on different SD cards though, you have to switch cards to access the JPEGs which can be annoying. If the RAW and JPEG are on the same card, the high quality JPEG will automatically be used when you press the scroll wheel to zoom in and it is a much higher magnification and resolution. I'm not sure how it compares to Sony, but it's way better than using the standard RAW preview.

Jan 03, 2018 at 05:15 PM
liggy
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

gdanmitchell wrote:
^^^

I'm also not so enthusiastic about touch screens on cameras. I suppose there is nothing wrong with including them for those who like them, but in most cases I would rather have knobs, buttons, and so forth to make changes.

(I've often wondered about touch screen things like the ability to use the screen to deal with focus points and so forth. With my eye to the viewfinder I can't see the screen to operate these things without taking my eye away!)

Dan

The X-T20 screen IMO went from useless to decent for focus point changes. Thereís an option to have the touch area confined to the right side of the screen and it is usable now even with the camera up to your eye.

Still prefer the joystick but itís an improvement from when the camera originally shipped.

Jan 03, 2018 at 06:08 PM
ediblestarfish

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rumored X-H1 bring a price drop to X-T2?

I don't usually wait for something to come around for a price drop that may or may not be significant, and is out of my control. It takes time to understand and get acquainted to a new camera, or lens, so I usually buy them as needed on the used market to save money.

That way I can sort of play with the thing at my leisure when I have spare time. Better center yourself around things you can be more in control of, than things you can't as my wife says.

Personally I'm unsold on the X-H1 as it is untested in the wider market, which may take the rest of the year with a firmware update or several. My X-T2 which I got at a pretty decent price is mostly fine as is. IBIS is more a casual street shooting (stills and video) thing for me than critical, actual paid work where I use a tripod.

I'd like better eye autofocus since my vision isn't too great, but not willing to pay too much more for it. Also super shallow DoF where eye autofocus is most helpful, is not really widely applicable in my work and is again, more a casual use thing.

Another thing I like is that the X-T2's shortcomings are well known at this point, so I don't really have any surprises in operation--generally I know what needs workarounds and have ways to deal with them. I feel pretty comfy with the X-T2 and yeah, it's not exciting or whatnot, but after getting to know it, the camera feels pretty reliable at this point, and it's not something I'm willing to trade suddenly for the next greatest thing ASAP.

Jan 03, 2018 at 07:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password