New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · LR Performance

Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR Performance

There is a new video out that covers the Adobe document. Has some good stuff. Not sure why it starts at #3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=223&v=eHpmk3R7Ifk

Adobe

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

I decided to make it easier so I compiled a list. Please feel free to critique as someone may want to copy it. I'm still not certain about the graphics processor acceleration as I read mixed opinions.

LR performance Tips

1. Use a fast Ram 8 = slow 16 = OK 32 = good

2. Use a fast internal and external drives

3. HD should have a lot of free space

4. Update graphics driver. Although updates are rare with a Mac insure you have the latest OS and update. For PC check with Microsoft.

5. Work with one catalogue

6. Keep Catalogue on HD if small. Consider external if catalogue
gets big.

7. Keep preview cache folder in same location as Catalogue

8. Keep files on external drive

9. Keep as few Presets as possible. A thumbnail is generated for
every one.

10. Consider clearing adjustment history

11. If a folder becomes very big break it up into several

12. Consider generating previews before working on them.

13. LR exit dialogue box. Insure check Integrity and purge are selected

Preferences

General tab

1. If you import Embedded and Sidecar - Select Replace embedded
previews with standard ones during idle time

Performance tab

1. Graphics Processor. Previous LR Classic CC there was no advantage to using it for lower res screens. Adobe has made changes to Classic. Test it to determine your devices performance.

2. Maximize Cache size to as much as you can. 50 GB is good start

3. Select Generate Previews in Parallel

Catalogue settings

File Handling tab

1. Standard Preview Size = Auto

2. 1:1 Previews can take up disk space. Please refer to this article to decide how to handle previews.

https://helpx.adobe.com ...erformance-lightroom.html

Metadata tab

1. Do not select Automatically write changes to XMP

General maintenance a few times a week.

1. Purge Cache

2. Optimize Catalogue

3. Shut LR down a few times a week for any heavy usage.

Miscellaneous

Delete Previews Cache. If you drive gets unexpectedly full,
you get cache errors; artifacts and other strange things check your catalogue and delete Previews.lrdata. This is a rare occurrence but good to check.

Edited on Dec 16, 2017 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR Performance

Amazing info. Thanks for sharing!

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR Performance

4. Update graphics driver.

About this one. For Macs it states that the latest updates are automatically installed when you do an OS update or upgrade. Not sure if that is true with PC's but I imagine Windows 10 does it as well?

Dec 15, 2017 at 01:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR Performance

Runs like a dream since I uninstalled the trial.

Dec 15, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR Performance

I have been reading a little more and made a few amendments to the first post.

4. Update graphics driver. Although updates are rare with a Mac insure you have the latest OS and update. For PC check with Microsoft.

Performance tab

1. Graphics Processor. Previous LR Classic CC there was no advantage to using it for lower res screens. Adobe has made changes to Classic. Test it to determine your devices performance.

Dec 15, 2017 at 03:15 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR Performance

Zenon Char wrote:

About this one. For Macs it states that the latest updates are automatically installed when you do an OS update or upgrade. Not sure if that is true with PC's but I imagine Windows 10 does it as well?

Windows 10 updates do indeed come with updates to graphics card drivers - but not necessarily the latest or even the last stable version as released by the chip set manufacturer...

Dec 15, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR Performance

charlyw wrote:
Windows 10 updates do indeed come with updates to graphics card drivers - but not necessarily the latest or even the last stable version as released by the chip set manufacturer...

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2017 at 04:30 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR Performance

I made another amendment to the 1:1 previews. I read the Adobe article and thee suggest to keep them longer than one day. The gent in the video suggested to get rid of them right away. I don't think it hurts performance but just uses up disk space. He has some big files and probably does not go back to them. Someone pointed put it takes more time to re-generate the preview than just getting it from storage.

2. 1:1 Previews can take up disk space. Please refer to this article to decide how to handle previews.

https://helpx.adobe.com ...erformance-lightroom.html

Dec 15, 2017 at 07:31 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR Performance

Zenon Char wrote:
There is a new video out that covers the Adobe document. Has some good stuff. Not sure why it starts at #3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=223&v=eHpmk3R7Ifk

Adobe

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

The first link did not work.

Thanks for summarizing all the information.

Dave

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR Performance

I tried to replace it and yes from this site it won't link. Perhaps copy and try it from your web browser. That worked for me.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR Performance

Over the past month I must have had 8 crashes on initial launch followed by an Adobe crash report window. Once the report is sent and I launch LR for the second time, all is well.

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:21 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR Performance

Zenon Char wrote:

Most people have Nvidia cards, and for that there is the GeForce Experience application. It alerts you immediately of new drivers, and safely installs it. You can also do a clean install and remove previous versions of the driver with the program, if you wish. Custom installations are possible as well, if you don't need the 3D drivers and things like that. Do not wait for them to come through Microsoft. You can go to the GPU manufacturer's website as well and get them manually. I couldn't imagine having to wait for an OS update just to get new graphics drivers, that would be less than ideal.

Dec 19, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR Performance

You might want to turn off face recognition in the catalog settings. That used to be extremely slow.

I've had Windows 10 crash and misbehave due to an outdated (a month old!) nVIDIA driver, but it didn't bother to get a new driver for me.

I'm all for not writing changes to .xmp files automatically - but along with that goes back up your catalog. And not to the same drive as the original.

Dec 23, 2017 at 09:09 AM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR Performance

I have found LR to be very heavily IO intensive. Good CPU and 32+ GB RAM do help a lot especially during development computations, but fastest available SSDs make the biggest difference with tons of file IO operations.

I am happy with LR once I moved to NVME 950 PRO (OS) and NVME Intel 750 (LR catalog, previews, etc...)

Dec 27, 2017 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.