Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Liquidstone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

It is out for over a couple of months now, so I presume there's a lot of field use of the new camera already in the hands of action/BIF shooters.

I'm about to buy one but I have difficulty looking for an available unit in our islands. Seeing impressive action/BIF images from the RX10 MIV would encourage me to double my effort in finding a local store that stocks the camera.

TIA,

Romy

Dec 13, 2017 at 08:07 PM
kimknapp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Here is one, but I think there are many in one of the RX10 threads.
SOOC, other than a light crop.

Kim

© Maynard Knapp 2017

RX10M4, 600mm (equiv) 1/1250 sec @ f/4.0 ISO 160

Dec 14, 2017 at 05:54 PM
kimknapp
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

And, a couple more with some post processing.

I think they compare amazingly well to the ones I took today with my new A7Riii and 100-400GM w/ TC. I am going back tomorrow to see if I can beat them by taking the TC off (the 100-400GM should be slightly sharper without the TC).

Kim

© Maynard Knapp 2017

© Maynard Knapp 2017

Dec 14, 2017 at 05:57 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Here is one I posted in the photo thread...really fast take off, 220mm is fov of 600, the max

Dec 14, 2017 at 08:21 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Romy I'll add one for you, also posted in the larger RX10 thread-

The RX10iv and a juvenile BHE by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

kimknapp wrote:
And, a couple more with some post processing.

I think they compare amazingly well to the ones I took today with my new A7Riii and 100-400GM w/ TC. I am going back tomorrow to see if I can beat them by taking the TC off (the 100-400GM should be slightly sharper without the TC).

Kim

Nice ones, Kim. Were these taken in RAW?

Dec 15, 2017 at 01:17 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

mogul wrote:
Here is one I posted in the photo thread...really fast take off, 220mm is fov of 600, the max

Impressive AF performance. The splashes and the reflective water surface are presenting contrasty distractions to the AF sensor, yet focus was locked on the subject.

Dec 15, 2017 at 01:20 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

MedicineMan404 wrote:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4522/37889469155_25eb2a7bb8_o.jpgThe RX10iv and a juvenile BHE by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Well done, Robert.... excellent focus despite the featured background! Very nice light too.

The only RX10 MIV stock I can find at Sony stores in our islands are display units. Hope I have better luck next week.

Have you tried filming BIFs? If so how's the video AF?

My current filming technique using Canon DSLRs + big whites is to use a very small aperture (f/16 to f/25), manually focus to the approximate subject distance and take advantage of the deep DOF to keep the subject acceptably sharp.

Sample BIF video footage using the said technique:

I'm hoping I can use AF at BIFs with the RX10 MIV, and make filming a lot easier.

Dec 15, 2017 at 01:31 AM
kimknapp
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Liquidstone wrote:
Nice ones, Kim. Were these taken in RAW?

Yes. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2017 at 07:32 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Romy I'm sorry I don't do much video, despite over the years having many bodies quite capable, I just can't get into it for serious

Of course I'd be willing to test anything for you but here at home the only BIF is Cardinals Chickadees and Blue Jays which I doubt would do you any good.

Catch and release or not by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Dec 15, 2017 at 03:59 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

kimknapp wrote:
Yes. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Ospreys are tough to expose well especially if working with jpeg captures. Good job in controlling the whites and exposing the darks.

Dec 15, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Romy I'm sorry I don't do much video, despite over the years having many bodies quite capable, I just can't get into it for serious

Of course I'd be willing to test anything for you but here at home the only BIF is Cardinals Chickadees and Blue Jays which I doubt would do you any good.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4579/38186044655_e3193c460d_o.jpgCatch and release or not by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Amazing focus placement and excellent timing, Robert!

I just found a video of planes landing and taking off on Youtube, and it appears that the RX10 MIV does a great job in tracking the subject. At 4:03, the focus sticks with the plane even when small branches got into the line of view. At 4:45, the focus shifted to the intervening branches (this time more massive), but this is no surprise - the camera focused on the nearest object with the larger signature.

I'm now more hopeful that AF at BIF filming will work, especially if I combine it with using small apertures for forgiving DOF. We all want melted backgrounds brought about by long focal lengths and large apertures in still photos, as such would force the viewer to look at the subject. Fortunately, I can also get a similar effect in panning BIFs or action even with deep DOF - the slow shutter speed and panning motion blur the BG while the subject stays relatively sharp.

Dec 15, 2017 at 06:18 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Liquidstone wrote:
MedicineMan404 wrote:

My current filming technique using Canon DSLRs + big whites is to use a very small aperture (f/16 to f/25), manually focus to the approximate subject distance and take advantage of the deep DOF to keep the subject acceptably sharp.

_______
Aha! Your technique for those fine pics exposed. I'll try that.

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:37 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Romy you live in a 'bright' sunny country. An average day here where I live and wide open and I'm still pushing ISO to high levels. Lucky you

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Romy you live in a 'bright' sunny country. An average day here where I live and wide open and I'm still pushing ISO to high levels. Lucky you

I just drove about 300 km to our capital city to hunt for an RX10 MIV in stock, hope I get lucky.

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:50 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Liquidstone wrote:
I just drove about 300 km to our capital city to hunt for an RX10 MIV in stock, hope I get lucky.

Good luck...I just bought some Breakthrough ND filters for my rx10IV and video. They are expensive but by far the best out there for video. I got a 3 and 6 stop and hope I can show some usable footage.

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:09 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Romy I hope you come back with one!

Dec 19, 2017 at 01:40 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Romy I hope you come back with one!

Yessss! I finally found a store that has one in a sealed box. Now charging the battery, and starting to browse unfamiliar (to me) Sony menu system.

Dec 19, 2017 at 04:20 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

Liquidstone wrote:
Yessss! I finally found a store that has one in a sealed box. Now charging the battery, and starting to browse unfamiliar (to me) Sony menu system.

Haha! Well great you have one in your possession Romy.
Yes those Sony menus take a bit of time. Luckily (I think) I've been in the Sony menus since the NEX-5. In a matter of time you'll have the Fn button dialed in with your most used menu items and the custom buttons configured to your needs. Don't forget the powerful Recall Custom Hold 1,2,3 under Reg Cust Shoot Set and apply to C1,C2, or C3, it is absolutely brilliant and is found on the big a9 and a7Riii.

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:12 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RX10 Mark IV action/BIF images?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Haha! Well great you have one in your possession Romy.
Yes those Sony menus take a bit of time. Luckily (I think) I've been in the Sony menus since the NEX-5. In a matter of time you'll have the Fn button dialed in with your most used menu items and the custom buttons configured to your needs. Don't forget the powerful Recall Custom Hold 1,2,3 under Reg Cust Shoot Set and apply to C1,C2, or C3, it is absolutely brilliant and is found on the big a9 and a7Riii.

The supplied battery, as well as the OEM spare I bought, are both chargeless, so I have to hook up the short USB cable to the camera to power it on. Focus is very responsive in dim light, and 24 fps RAW for 100+ frames sound music to my ears.

Having shot Canon for decades, I'm confused at this point by the menu system, and the thin manual isn't much help. But then, I had to wade through hours of Manila traffic to find a store that had it in stock, so I'm tired and my concentration is off. Tomorrow morning, with a refreshed mind and recharged batteries, I'll probably be able to understand some of the basic menu functions.

EDIT - found the link to the online guide, which is easier for me to understand.

http://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1720/v1/en/index.html

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:43 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.