2       end

Archive 2017 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

This is custom made for Laowa's 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D lens:

http://www.venuslens.net/product/lao...m-f2-8-zero-d/

This 12mm lens is made with the following mounts (via adapters): Canon EF, Nikon AI, Sony A, Pentax K and Sony E.

The Converter has high refractive index elements which opens up the 43mm image circle of a 35mm film lens by x1.4 to 60mm making it suitable for shift function*. It can shift up to 10mm left or right or, by rotating it, up or down or any position around 360 degrees. Please note that the focal length is (effectively) increased by 1.4, the 12mm acting as a 17mm.

http://www.venuslens.net/product/lao...ift-converter/

(Web page out of date, AI version is now available).

This available, so far, only for EOS or Nikon AI lens mounts (lenses it will fit), according to the mount version of the 12mm purchased. However, the enlarged image circle permits many 35mm legacy lenses in EOS or AI mount to be shifted. I have, so far, tried (no photos yet) Tamron SP 17mm, Pentax K 15mm rectilinear and Nikkor-N Auto 24mm. All look good through the viewfinder.

Harold

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:13 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

e6filmuser wrote:
of date, AI version is now available).

This available, so far, only for EOS or Nikon AI lens mounts (lenses it will fit), according to the mount version of the 12mm purchased. However, the enlarged image circle permits many 35mm legacy lenses in EOS or AI mount to be shifted. I have, so far, tried (no photos yet) Tamron SP 17mm, Pentax K 15mm rectilinear and Nikkor-N Auto 24mm. All look good through the viewfinder.

Not wanting the shift function in this case, but wanting my Printing-Nikkor 150mm (image circle 30mm) to cover full frame, I have tried it for macro:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1524807

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1526383

Harold

Feb 03, 2018 at 05:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

I did a simple test yesterday, with several wide angle lenses with Nikon AI mount. This was just to see if any of the lenses vignetted on the MSC fully shifted. The subject photographed is of no interest to post here, being lots of images of our indoor stairs,.

The lenses tested on A7R body were::

Laowa 12mm (for reference).
Pentax-K SMC 15mm 3.5
Tamron SP 17mm 3.5
Nikon Nikkor 20mm 2.8
Nikon-N Auto 24mm 2.8

The only significant vignetting was from the hood on the 20mm. Removing the filter from behind the hood about halved it and removing the hood removed it. With the hood in place, the vignetting was maximised at distant focus and minimised at closest focus.

The limited space (no room for a tripod) required hand-held and the f16 meant flash was the only simple option.

Harold

Feb 09, 2018 at 02:55 AM
elimoss
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

I purchased the magic shift converter recently. It was quite oily which I did not enjoy but otherwise it seems well built.

How did you attach a K mount lens? Did you use a thin adapter from K to Nikon or EOS to put it on the shift adapter?

Mar 03, 2018 at 02:46 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

Your links don't work but this sounds interesting.

Would it work with an m-mount lens like the VM10/5.6?

Mar 03, 2018 at 02:50 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

elimoss wrote:
I purchased the magic shift converter recently. It was quite oily which I did not enjoy but otherwise it seems well built.

Not my experience.

elimoss wrote:
How did you attach a K mount lens? Did you use a thin adapter from K to Nikon or EOS to put it on the shift adapter?

There are "thin" and "thin" adapters. This was a straight forward K to AI, about 10mm deep. I have thinner ones for other applications.

Harold

Mar 03, 2018 at 02:54 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

nampramos wrote:
Your links don't work but this sounds interesting.

Would it work with an m-mount lens like the VM10/5.6?

I don't know what happened there, each being copied from the page: Try these:

http://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-12mm-f2-8-zero-d/ref/140/

http://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-magic-shift-converter/ref/140/

At the time I purchased mine (December) only EOS and AI mounts were available. I believe others are to follow. Laowa seems to have issues with launch dates.

Harold

Mar 03, 2018 at 03:41 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

Now they work, thanks!

Could you share a photo of the 12 mounted on the camera with that shift adapter please?

Mar 03, 2018 at 04:01 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

nampramos wrote:
Now they work, thanks!

Could you share a photo of the 12 mounted on the camera with that shift adapter please?

Here are several (rush job!). No shift applied, except full shift in final image.

I have not screwed the foot onto the intergral stand.

Harold Gough 2018

Harold Gough 2018

Harold Gough 2018

Harold Gough 2018

Harold Gough 2018

Mar 03, 2018 at 05:35 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you for those!

Looks quite longish doesn't it?

If it's not too much to ask, would you be so kind to measure how long the entire thing is and how much it weighs?

I really want to get a wide angle T/S like the Canon 17 but it is quite expensive and with an adapter quite large and front heavy. I love the results I get from it though every time I rented one.

Do you have any architectural shots you could share with full shift (or close to it)?

Thank you!

Mar 06, 2018 at 03:49 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

nampramos wrote:
Looks quite longish doesn't it?

If it's not too much to ask, would you be so kind to measure how long the entire thing is and how much it weighs?

Do you have any architectural shots you could share with full shift (or close to it)?

Unlike other shift converters, it incorporates a TC to widen the image circle. If you (unlikely?) have a lens with an image circle of around 66mm you could use an alternative shift adapter. The only way you can use a standard (ca 43mm) FF lens as a shift lens without the TC is to use it on a crop sensor.

The details you ask for are on the Laowa website under the Specifications tabs.

I had hoped to have some architectural shots by now but very cold weather has made my fingers too cold (double gloves, I rarely wear any) to make notes of aperture, etc.

Harold

Mar 06, 2018 at 04:15 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

Problem with the cropsensor in that it will shorten the FL.

But maybe a CV10/5.6 could be used with a shift adapter on a crop camera like the A6xxx series?

Any ideia how much shift would be possible?

Mar 06, 2018 at 05:52 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

nampramos wrote:

You mean lengthen!

But maybe a CV10/5.6 could be used with a shift adapter on a crop camera like the A6xxx series?

I have no idea about such cameras. The maximum amount of shift varies between adapters.

Harold

Mar 06, 2018 at 06:51 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

elimoss wrote:

I had the same experience with the Laowa 12mm lens that I purchased last year. Oil had seeped out from the focus and aperture rings, all over the outer barrel. Also, the lens mount had significant wiggle. It did not inspire confidence, especially for a lens that cost almost $1,000.

Mar 06, 2018 at 08:02 AM
elimoss
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

MikeEvangelist wrote:
I had the same experience with the Laowa 12mm lens that I purchased last year. Oil had seeped out from the focus and aperture rings, all over the outer barrel. Also, the lens mount had significant wiggle. It did not inspire confidence, especially for a lens that cost almost $1,000.

Oh, sorry about that. I am very happy with their lenses overall and didn't experience anything like that with the three I own. I just found the shift mechanism of the shift converter to be oily, which is a partially exposed part, and I felt I should remove some with a cotton swab before using it.

Mar 06, 2018 at 10:31 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

nampramos wrote:

From what I see the shift adapter is made for SLR lenses. ie it's sort of like the Metabones Speed Booster but the optics do the reverse, widen the image field and lengthen the FL. If so then the 10mm VC will not work as it's a native Sony lens.

Mar 06, 2018 at 12:54 PM
elimoss
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

Yes, it comes as a non-electronic adapter for Canon or Nikon mount lens. So if you want to shoot other than wide open, you also probably want a lens with an aperture control.

And, if you are using it for architectural rather than creative purposes, you probably want to use a lens without much distortion, because the distortion will be difficult to correct once you apply shift.

If you don't desire wide angle shift, their 15mm f/2 native Sony lens has excellent reviews.

Mar 06, 2018 at 01:15 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

I have the Laowa 15mm F2 myself and wonder if this would work well. My guess its like a 1.4 so thats a 21mm with shift I can use for interiors. That save me from buying a Toking Firin 20mm. Hmmm

Dang thats out I need a canon or Nikon mount.

Mar 06, 2018 at 01:29 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

I'm a little tempted by the 12mm + shift adapter. I have the 17mm TSE and a 15mm VC for general landscapes when I worry less about PC. But getting this would add a 12mm and give me a 17mm with PC if needed. But then I'd hanker after the 15mm so that I could also use it as a 21mm shift and I already have the Loxia ...

Down boy ... !!

Mar 06, 2018 at 02:58 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Laowa Magic Shift Converter

Yea you would still need a Canon to FE to use it as a 12mm but than add the shift adapter and get a 17 shift lens. Agree this is damn tempting

Mar 06, 2018 at 03:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.