Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

oguruma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

My wife is considering a Surface Pro as an alternative to her 15" laptop. She has other reasons for wanting the Surface Tablet, but wants to use it for some basic editing tasks. We use LR and PS exclusively, but we could see ourselves switching to CaptureOne in the somewhat near future....

Does anybody have any experience with LR/CaptureOne on the Surface Tablets?

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:27 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

I have the lowest-spec Surface (2017), it works okay with lightroom 6.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:20 AM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

With the right specs, you should have no problems with using the Microsoft Surface Pro with LR or Capture One Pro.

I used the much older Surface Pro 2, Core i5, 8GB ram, 512 SSD and USB3 to tether with Phase One medium format digital backs to C1 Pro. No problem handling 80 and 100 meg digital back files. Some early Surface Pro 3 had heat issues with Core i7 chips but that is probably rectified now. You can read an old review I did on tethering with the Surface Pro 2 on my blog: https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/ If you search Surface Pro you will also see the evolution of tripod clamping choices with the Surface Pro while on location.

I recommend at least Core i5 and as much RAM as you can get. The current generation of Microsoft Surface Pro products is much more mature as a system now. No problems before, but I am sure that the current generation of Surface Pro products will handle C1 Pro better and faster yet.

Ken

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

kdphotography wrote:
With the right specs, you should have no problems with using the Microsoft Surface Pro with LR or Capture One Pro.

I used the much older Surface Pro 2, Core i5, 8GB ram, 512 SSD and USB3 to tether with Phase One medium format digital backs to C1 Pro. No problem handling 80 and 100 meg digital back files. Some early Surface Pro 3 had heat issues with Core i7 chips but that is probably rectified now. You can read an old review I did on tethering with the Surface Pro 2 on my blog: https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/ If you search Surface Pro
...Show more

Thanks much for the input! I found a few articles that speak to the performance. I think we would wind up getting a Core i5.

How does using the UI work using the stylus? Does that size of a screen make things problematic at all?

Dec 12, 2017 at 01:07 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

The screen on the old SP2 is smaller---harder on middle aged eyes, but better for traveling. I doubt you would find anyone that wouldn't prefer the latest generation screens which are slightly larger and more mature devices with regard to using the stylus.

ken

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:48 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

I'm interested to hear some testimonials; I've heard mixed reviews about the Surface Pro (2017), with some saying it handles LR no problem while others say is dog slow and heats up quite a bit.

Also the old warning still applies: the keyboard has to be purchased separate 90% of the time.

Dec 12, 2017 at 03:23 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

I have a Surface Pro 4 with the i7 processor, 256 GB SSD, and 8 GB RAM (which is more than enough for a laptop not running numerical analysis, etc). Get a cheap, large mSD card to expand storage.

I built and then overclocked a desktop with an i7 4790, running at 4.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 3 (three) SSDs to separate OS, images, and swap/cache/catalog files. (No- the 1TB Samsung SSD didn't speed up LR processing...)

Where the desktop takes about 4 seconds to process a 5D4 with NR/sharpening/clarity/etc, the Sp4 takes just 30% longer.

The Surface is shockingly good, and has a nice easy-to-calibrate screen, too. You can set up custom power profiles for when you need that tiny laptop's battery to last longer. There's a nice reddit forum for in-depth help on that...

I also recommend a Dell F300K travel mouse (bluetooth) (or get a Logitech G700S full-size mouse) for more programmable buttons that are very useful.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:16 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

skid00skid00 wrote:
The Surface is shockingly good, and has a nice easy-to-calibrate screen

How did you calibrate? I looked for ways to manually adjust mine and couldn't find any. I can match the brightness to my calibrated desktop (NEC Spectraview), but can't change the WB. White screen on the SP4 looks much more blue than the calibrated NEC.

My experience SP4/I7/16gb - works OK for Photoshop/Bridge/LR @200% magnification. However, some plugins don't scale well. Tiny, tiny UI. I find the stylus a PITA and put it in a drawer, but then I've never used anything but a mouse.

Only problem I have is that when an image is at 100% in Photoshop and I try to scroll around with left-click+spacebar, the image often jumps to some random location. Have to re-scroll to where I want to be.

Dec 13, 2017 at 07:47 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

skid00skid00 wrote:
I have a Surface Pro 4 with the i7 processor, 256 GB SSD, and 8 GB RAM (which is more than enough for a laptop not running numerical analysis, etc). Get a cheap, large mSD card to expand storage.

I built and then overclocked a desktop with an i7 4790, running at 4.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 3 (three) SSDs to separate OS, images, and swap/cache/catalog files. (No- the 1TB Samsung SSD didn't speed up LR processing...)

Where the desktop takes about 4 seconds to process a 5D4 with NR/sharpening/clarity/etc, the Sp4 takes just 30% longer.

The Surface is shockingly good, and has
...Show more

Thanks for the input. We use our LR catalog on an external HDD and any images we want to work with on the go are on that HDD, too.

From what I have read, these tablets/two-in-ones can really suffer from a lack of heat dissipation (by virtue of being so small). Have you noticed a decrease in performance after working with images over time?

Dec 14, 2017 at 03:56 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

I calibrate with an i1 spectro, with the included software. If your cursor is jumping, it's likely you are touching the touchpad. It can be turned off in desktop mode.

Try this to increase font size: https://www.lovemysurface.net/fix-scaling-issues-older-windows-apps/

I use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU / XTU) to limit the wattage used by the CPU, when I'm cranking LR, or running multiple AV scans, or charging (all of which crank the heat way higher than I want, to preserve the LiIon battery). I also undervolted the CPU and GPU with it. I also have several power plans defined, to limit maximum CPU %.

You'll want to google for details on how to do these. It's not difficult.

You'll need to turn ConnectedStandby off to add new power plans.

I also have a USB fan, for when I want full power, and cooling...

Dec 14, 2017 at 08:25 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Surface Pro Tablet: LR and CaptureOne experiences?

tag for reference

Dec 14, 2017 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.