New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Happy Holidays Everyone

DaleBerlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Happy Holidays Everyone

It was shaken, shot, and drank. Happy holidays everyone. CC always welcome.

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:44 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Happy Holidays Everyone

Nice one, Dale! Looks like things are about to get a little happier.

Jeff

Dec 11, 2017 at 08:01 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Happy Holidays Everyone

DaleBerlin wrote:
It was shaken, shot, and drank. Happy holidays everyone. CC always welcome.

Now that's getting in the holiday spirit Dale!

Only observation I have is that the rim of the glass seems a little close to the left edge. Perhaps a little more breathing room on that side? Otherwise this would make a great advertisement photo.

Steve

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Happy Holidays Everyone

Nice one Dale! Excellent details and very nice lighting. Text font and color is very fitting as well.

+1 at feeling a little too tight on the left.

Could you share your lighting setup?

Dave

Dec 12, 2017 at 08:51 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Happy Holidays Everyone

lighthound wrote:
Nice one Dale! Excellent details and very nice lighting. Text font and color is very fitting as well.

+1 at feeling a little too tight on the left.

Could you share your lighting setup?

Dave

Hi Dave, I have not attempted still life photography before, so this was a learning experience. Lighting consisted of an overhead chandler and a halogen work light to the right. Big soft boxes would make this type of thing so much easier. WB adjustment was obviously required. I used more white matte boards to control reflections than show in this pic. I really gained a lot of respect for photographers that can do this well. My shot pales to some of the examples I found online. Live and learn.

I used focus stacking to control focus at f7.1, but the hardest thing was controlling the reflections and deffraction of light. Light was bending and going everywhere. It took a lot of fiddling before the light looked half decent.

Dec 12, 2017 at 09:34 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Happy Holidays Everyone

Sweet! Someone else that uses a shop light! Been there done that!
I'm about to pull the trigger on some cheap lighting and maybe a backdrop curtain setup one of these days. This type of work isn't my thing so I've held off as long as I could.

Kudos for doing whatever it takes to get the shot! Your final product is what matters and I think you did a great job.

Dave

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Happy Holidays Everyone

lighthound wrote:
Sweet! Someone else that uses a shop light! Been there done that!
I'm about to pull the trigger on some cheap lighting and maybe a backdrop curtain setup one of these days. This type of work isn't my thing so I've held off as long as I could.

Kudos for doing whatever it takes to get the shot! Your final product is what matters and I think you did a great job.

Dave

Dave, check out Alien Bees made by Paul Buff Co. They are known for their affordable strobes that are extremely reliable. I own 4 or 5 of them and have never had a problem. They also sell a full line of lighting accesories like umbrellas, soft boxes, wireless triggers, etc.
https://www.paulcbuff.com

Steve

Dec 12, 2017 at 01:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Happy Holidays Everyone

eeneryma wrote:
Dave, check out Alien Bees made by Paul Buff Co. They are known for their affordable strobes that are extremely reliable. I own 4 or 5 of them and have never had a problem. They also sell a full line of lighting accesories like umbrellas, soft boxes, wireless triggers, etc.
https://www.paulcbuff.com

Steve

Dang I need me some Steve money if you think AB are affordable! In my limited experience they've always been the more pricey of the options.

If you really want bang for you buck then look up some Yongnuo products. They excel at paring down costs while maintaining features/functionality.

Dec 12, 2017 at 01:48 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Happy Holidays Everyone

Haha! Thank you Steve for the recommendation but I'm thinking something just slightly above Dale's and mine shop lite rigs. I just need something down and dirty for any occasional inside shooting I might do without breaking the bank.
And trust me, just thinking and typing that makes me a little nauseous because I'm not really into this kinda photography. Someday maybe, but for right now I'm looking at something slightly better than holding a flashlight in my teeth.
And yes, I've done that as well.

I've seen some of your studio work before and what you achieve is waaaaaay beyond me and my current desire.

Snuggling up next to a black bear or wading through the frigid water of a cold mountain stream is my idea of a great day behind a camera.

I just need some Jeff money so I can go to Africa every year.

Dave

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:57 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Happy Holidays Everyone

lighthound wrote:
Haha! Thank you Steve for the recommendation but I'm thinking something just slightly above Dale's and mine shop lite rigs. I just need something down and dirty for any occasional inside shooting I might do without breaking the bank.
And trust me, just thinking and typing that makes me a little nauseous because I'm not really into this kinda photography. Someday maybe, but for right now I'm looking at something slightly better than holding a flashlight in my teeth.
And yes, I've done that as well.

I've seen some of your studio work before and what you achieve is
...Show more

Some time ago when I bought my lights, there were no cheap imports. Most of the lighting equipment was europeon made and a fortune. Paul Buff was a pioneer in making "affordable" lighting equipment. They have a good reputation and stand behind their stuff. I can't speak highly enough from my own experience.

You might want to put a post out on the people forum and ask for suggestions on inexpensive strobe lights.

Dec 12, 2017 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.