Limp on - Switch when 5dsr v2 arrives
Move to Adobe bridge / Photoshop / Manual file System
Swith to Light Room - you will like it after a few months
Other - Solution

Aperture on its Last Leg - Replacement?

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Aperture on its Last Leg - Replacement?

OntheRez wrote:
Butch,

Thanks for the explanation of DNG. I had assumed - incorrectly - that Adobe was reading the RAW and storing it in yet another format. This makes DNG more palatable.

I can see how makers and photographers might be hesitant to Adobe this format. It is said to be "open" though that term can mean several things. Presumably, the specifications are published and can be adhered to. The issue then is who set/defines the protocol as cameras move forward? Who enforces the standard? Is there an open source group that oversees this - like the W3C? Or is controlled only
...Show more

I once had high hopes for a universal file format for digital RAW, whether that be DNG or another offering. This individual file type for each and every brand/model/style is kind of insane. Could you imagine back in the film days, if all the camera makers required a different format of film with each new camera? In the end, all a RAW file is nothing more than a container for captured sensor data. The differences come as to how that data is rendered.

Unless or until the camera makers begin to offer such a universal file format, it is very unlikely to appear. Since the end users spend their time blaming their favorite third party RAW developer for being slow to offer new camera support instead of requiring the camera makers to skip the proprietary aspect, there will be no movement. The camera makers are under no pressure to change.

Adobe did offer protected areas of the DNG format for encrypting any proprietary data, but that wasn't good enough for the makers. And ... in fairness ... did you know that Adobe also holds licensing for TIFF as well ... even though it is considered Open Source, they have the rights to it. So, in this respect I don't think they are playing loosey-goosey with DNG. If adopted by the manufacturers, Adobe could save millions in re-inventing wheels for each new camera. That was their incentive.

Jan 03, 2018 at 09:07 PM
1       2       3       4      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password