New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · A7rIII pulsating?

echelonphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7rIII pulsating?

My new camera was superb out of the box...now on the 4th day...I am getting severe af pulsating with the only lens I have right now...the 85 1.8. This is in afc, small flexible spot, back button focus. Occurs with lighter color objects with not so much texture...the green dot will not stabilize and then the display will start pulsating. This is in fairly good light...did I set something wrong by accident? This did not happen with my R2.

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7rIII pulsating?

I have a little with same lens. I’ll try my Batis 135

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:20 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7rIII pulsating?

Doesn't seem to happen with medium flexible spot

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:55 PM
makadaka

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7rIII pulsating?

It's happened to me with AFC and a small aperture on my Rokinon 35. Not sure why but never happens in AFS.

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7rIII pulsating?

Gotta figure this out was just shooting grandkids and I’m seeing issues. Eye Af taken a bit to kick in. Wonder if that update address this. Can’t get to this till tonight

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:21 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7rIII pulsating?

Anybody experiencing issues upgrade to the latest A7rIII firmware yet ? Maybe a fix could be in this obscure benefit mentioned in the update news.

"Improves overall camera stability"

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:22 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7rIII pulsating?

I’m wondering this too

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7rIII pulsating?

Haven't really seen any issues with focussing and the 85/1.8 and am loath to update firmware on it's release date. what f stop are you seeing this on as if you go to f8 and above then the camera switches to contrast detect where pulsing could happen

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:51 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7rIII pulsating?

Haven't really seen any issues with focussing and the 85/1.8 and am loath to update firmware on it's release date. what f stop are you seeing this on as if you go to f8 and above then the camera switches to contrast detect where pulsing could happen

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:52 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7rIII pulsating?

I am shooting at f2-f3.5...so shouldn't happen. Seems to happen more with limited textured surfaces...but even happened trying to take a photo of my dog sleeping at about 4 feet..good light...would not lock in...continued pulsating as long as I held the af button. I was focusing right on her face.

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:12 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7rIII pulsating?

I am wondering if somehow my phase detect has been turned off. Eye af works pretty well though.

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:14 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7rIII pulsating?

echelonphoto wrote:
I am wondering if somehow my phase detect has been turned off. Eye af works pretty well though.

I had the same thought, "phase detect has been turned off" but don't have my camera with me now to check/experiment. Let us know what you find.

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:16 PM
jucytec

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7rIII pulsating?

maybe your lens is just excited to mate with R3...

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:19 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7rIII pulsating?

Okay good news bad news. First the good news its not your camera, its your lenses. I just went out with My Batis 135, Sony FE 85 1.8, Sony 50mm 1.8 yea the cheap one.

Okay in AFC does not matter what aperture or even what focus area the Batis 135 is dead on perfect. No pumping

FE85 1.8 where i noticed it first there is some and its workable but we could use a firmware update. Im seeing it in Zone and also in Flexible spot (small). Ill test more in other Focus areas but its where i notice it the most.

FE 50mm 1.8 I have version .3 firmware for this lens. I just got it but I think there has been a update that i need to find. But right now its very obvious pumping. Kind of a fun lens though for 200 bucks. My 28 F2 comes friday so I will check that.

But good news is its not your camera the Basis 135 is perfect with AF. Now you may run into it with other Sony glass but thats all i have i have on hand with AF

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:54 AM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7rIII pulsating?

Thanks for the input....I just got a used 28 f2....there is some pumpling with that. I got it cheap...you have to know that lens is very soft on the sides until about f5.6...but might be interesting for portraits where the subject is in the middle.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM
jucytec

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7rIII pulsating?

Confirmed. All my lenses can be excited with my A7RM3 as well...

Easier to reproduce at Minimal Focal Distance...

How I've been able to reproduce it.
1. Find a subject with high contrast. My subject was coiled black phone cord on top of a white desk.
2. Focus Small Flexible Spot on an area where top half is black and bottom half is white within the focus area.
3. Holding AF-C will end up pulsating as it is thrown into confusion between black and white. I'm using back button focus

I've tested this on the following lenses and they all pulsate like a college girl on ecstasy.
1. 70-200 GM
2. 24-70 GM
3. 85 1.4 GM
4. 35 Z 1.4 Distogon.

This issue does not happen on my A6500.

While I recognize this is an odd issue which can be reproduced reliably, I'm not too concerned in real world shooting situations where this would make me miss a shot. it's rare for me to use small AF points since I typically used them for Eyes back in my canon days. I'd add that if I focus on the black cord it focuses fast AF.

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A7rIII pulsating?

I should take my comment back as its not the camera. Most likely we need a firmware update but I agree this is not very serious problem. I just went out and shot the cheap 50mm and I barely noticed it. Also its a better lens than I thought. Ill test it on Big bronco this week but for 200 bucks it aint bad at all

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A7rIII pulsating?

jucytec wrote:
Confirmed. All my lenses can be excited with my A7RM3 as well...

Easier to reproduce at Minimal Focal Distance...

How I've been able to reproduce it.
1. Find a subject with high contrast. My subject was coiled black phone cord on top of a white desk.
2. Focus Small Flexible Spot on an area where top half is black and bottom half is white within the focus area.
3. Holding AF-C will end up pulsating as it is thrown into confusion between black and white. I'm using back button focus

I've tested this on the following lenses and they all pulsate like a college
...Show more

This reminds me of Canon Continuous drive mode. If you focus on static subjects (emphasis is "static"), it pumps back and forth (the algorithm seems to expect a moving subject and can't deal with a non-moving one properly), so you can get slightly OOF images, unless you use AF-S. Changing the AF sensitivity helps a bit, alternatively one only needs to press the focus button for a very short time.
With Nikon or the Sonys I used and use so far (D7100, D610, D750, D810, A7ii, A7rii, now A9) this doesn't and didn't happen. As I prefer using back button focus and AFC all the time, I would think hard about buying an A7riii unless this is resolved.

Dec 12, 2017 at 03:34 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A7rIII pulsating?

Yea you have to learn not to sit in the button once you first achieve focus on a static subject. I caught that yesterday but I set up a 3rd AF button for AFS mode that I can use as well. Which is really nice with this recall button. I would not go as far as avoiding this cam far from it. That’s just a cop out sorry. This is not very serious just takes thought on user.

Dec 12, 2017 at 03:53 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A7rIII pulsating?

However...in these situtations where the square does not stabilize...the image will not be in focus

Dec 12, 2017 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.